Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Combustion Air Damper/Furnace Interlock

Hello,

I have a Carrier Infinity Variable Speed Induced Combustion Gas Furnace (58CVA) installed in my vented attic with Carrier Infinity 2 speed outside condensing unit, Infinity Zone Control Board using 3 Zones, and Carrier Zone Control Master Thermostat (SYSTXCCUIZ-01-V). All equipment is wired using Infinity's Communicating Bus (ABCD)

This is a single family residence in New Orleans, LA. Because of duct sweating I want to foam my attic space which contains gas furnace and ductwork to create a conditioned space. I will need to duct in outside air for combustion for the furnace. I also want to install a 24VAC damper in the outside air duct that interlocks with the furnace such that it is only opens when thermostat is calling for heat.

Does anyone know how to implement this interlock on my system?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Yes.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Could you elaborate.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by markstg View Post
    Could you elaborate.
    Site rules do not allow giving advice for DIY efforts.

It will be necessary after the work to perform a combustion analysis to confirm safe furnace operation. Only a trained professional will have the knowledge and instruments to do so. Additionally, a safety should be included to prevent furnace operation in case the damper does not open.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Site rules do not allow giving advice for DIY efforts.

It will be necessary after the work to perform a combustion analysis to confirm safe furnace operation. Only a trained professional will have the knowledge and instruments to do so. Additionally, a safety should be included to prevent furnace operation in case the damper does not open.
    Unfortunately I have not found a HVAC contractor/professional in New Orleans who knows how to implement this interlock on a Carrier communicating Infinity System. And I agree a damper limit switch also needs to be wired to shudown the furnace should the damper not open.

Any advice or someone I may contact in this regard?

I thought the Humidifier terminal on the furnace control board could be used to open the damper, (energized at 24VAC when call for humidity and in heat mode), and the G terminal on the furnace control board be used to shutdown by the limit switch. But the HUM terminal denergizes when Humidity target is reached and the furnace is still on. Also the G terminal shutdown function is not to be used for safeties per Carrier installation and operating manual.

thanks for any help.

Post Likes
    Check the contractor locator map here on the site.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Post the full furnace model number...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    It is a Carrier 58CVA110---1--20

Post Likes
    The product comes with a wiring diagram. Pretty easy to follow. These types of interlocks are fairly common and on things like power venters, blocked flue switches, blocked intake switches and any kind of safety limit. So someone who can hook it up is probably not qualified to do much else on the hvac system.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    In N O
    Dump the Carrier

Get a 90+% furnace

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    The product comes with a wiring diagram. Pretty easy to follow. These types of interlocks are fairly common and on things like power venters, blocked flue switches, blocked intake switches and any kind of safety limit. So someone who can hook it up is probably not qualified to do much else on the hvac system.
    I know how to read the wiring diagrams. What seems the only way to implement this interlock is to install a relay on the gas valve and use contacts on this relay to energize the damper and to put in series with the damper position switch and wired to the G terminal. Neither is what I would call a factory authorized implementation. The wiring diagrams and Carrier documentation do not show or provide for an external device to be connected to the system except for products like humidifiers, dehumidifiers, and other air quality equipment.

I was hoping I was missing something and you guys would say this is how it is done on the Carrier Infinity Furnaces.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    In N O
    Dump the Carrier

Get a 90+% furnace

Not an option. The attic was not foamed because my HVAC contractor said the HVAC was fine without it.

Post Likes
    You are not following....

Have a new high efficiency furnace installed. They can have to two pipes. One for exhaust and one for direct air intake.

Then you can foam your attic and avoid any of the combustion air intake/damper interlock issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by markstg View Post
    Not an option. The attic was not foamed because my HVAC contractor said the HVAC was fine without it.
    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast