Post Likes

Whole Home Humidifier for a new 5000sqft house

Hi, We just moved into a brand new 5000sq foot house which has another 2300sq ft of unfinished basement. We live in Toronto where weather can get really cold. I am looking for the right humidifier for the house. Someone recommended Aprilaire 700 but that one caters to only 4200 sq ft. So I have the following questions:

[1] My current humidity level as per my smart thermostat is 53% which sounds reasonable enough that I should not be needing a humidifier in the first place but our family gets dry lips every night and we have to constantly get up and drink water/apply lip balm ever since we moved to this place. Does that mean 53% humidity is not good enough?

[2] Do you think Aprilaire 700 will suffice considering my current humidity level is already 53% and may only need to go up a little bit in order for the air to be comfortable for us?

[3] Is there a way to install whole home humidifiers in way so as to bypass the unfinished basement. The house upstairs is 5000sq ft. If I can make sure the humidifier is not catering to the basement, would Aprilaire suffice? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Theoretically if a new house was well built, it shouldn't need a humidifier. 53% RH is above what is recommended for even mild weather. I'd hold off and monitor the humidity as it gets colder and see what the humidity does. If you get it too humid, you can condense in the walls and on windows and have problems.

The 700 likely would be enough IF the situation warrants it. If the basement has any hot air ducts, you will be putting humidity in there too.

Post Likes
    Is there any moisture on the windows after a cold evening? IN cold green grass climates, the limitation is excess moisture on the windows. I suspect your %RH meter in not calibrated properly. Buy a couple Accurite %RH meters from Amazon and place them in your home.

You will need 7-10 occupants to humidify a modern air tight home to the point that the windows sweat unless you have a high water table beneath your home or a big fish tank.
    You may get by with the largest humidifier or you may need two.
    Keep us posted. Regardless your windows will drip be for totally get rid of dry mouth and dry skin during winter.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    What is the A.C.H. Natural for YOUR RESIDENCE
    based on your BLOWER DOOR TEST?
    .........… …………. _________ https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/blower-door-tests

… … HYGROMETER ...

https://www.acurite.com/acurite-0108...y-monitor.html
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities