Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 46
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's country - Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Posts
    967
    Post Likes
    Replaced R22 with R407c?

    Did he remove the compressor and drain all of the mineral from it and replace it with POE oil?

    R407c is NOT a drop in replacement for R22. It requires the oil change since R407c is not missable with mineral oil.

    There are other refrigerants available that are compatible with mineral oil.

    That's why I cautioned you to get another tech.
    Bob Boan


    ​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    57
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by bobboan View Post
    Replaced R22 with R407c?

    Did he remove the compressor and drain all of the mineral from it and replace it with POE oil?

    R407c is NOT a drop in replacement for R22. It requires the oil change since R407c is not missable with mineral oil.

    There are other refrigerants available that are compatible with mineral oil.

    That's why I cautioned you to get another tech.
    Yes he removed the R-22 refrigerant and vacuumed the system. He did not replace or add any oil to the compressor. My untis is model number GSH130421 and I bought it in 2010. If I am correct newer R-22 units came with POE oil, but I am not sure if my compressor did. I think my compressor has mineral oil. How severe is this? I read that the oil may be in the coils and not come back to the compressor and keep the compressor oil level low. Also that 407c mixed with mineral oil could become like a sludge.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,414
    Post Likes
    https://www.goodmanmfg.com/about/contact-us

    I would contact Goodman direct as a Homeowner, as there is a section for homeowners question. IMO Doubt the Installing Contractor will give you a straight answer.

    Better yet? if you can get the model and serial number off the compressor you can contact the compressor manufacturer. Chances are you have a Copeland compressor.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    57
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    https://www.goodmanmfg.com/about/contact-us

    I would contact Goodman direct as a Homeowner, as there is a section for homeowners question. IMO Doubt the Installing Contractor will give you a straight answer.

    Better yet? if you can get the model and serial number off the compressor you can contact the compressor manufacturer. Chances are you have a Copeland compressor.
    Great advice... I will contact Goodman to find out if the compressor has mineral oil or POE. If it's POE I will be at ease, since that's what works best with the 407c refrigerant.

    Bazooka Joey, your a blessing to this forum. Thank you.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,414
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny1976 View Post
    Great advice... I will contact Goodman to find out if the compressor has mineral oil or POE. If it's POE I will be at ease, since that's what works best with the 407c refrigerant.

    Bazooka Joey, your a blessing to this forum. Thank you.
    You can ask under misc. they may or may not answer your question under Technical Service as typically that department answers questions from Contractors but you can try. The back up plan would be to contact the compressor manufacturer, and again chances its a Copeland, maybe possibly a Bristol if its original.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    11,770
    Post Likes
    Compressor will say right on the data tag what oil is in it.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

    Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

    "In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

    Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    57
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Compressor will say right on the data tag what oil is in it.
    Thank you rider77... I will see if I can turn the power off at the breaker and use an Endoscope camera I got from Amazon. Since I don't want to start taking stuff apart.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    27,218
    Post Likes
    That may well be your opinion but the man to which you refer is a long time contributor here and seems to me to know what he's doing. His manner can be somewhat abrupt - but so what?

    We are all somewhat restricted in what we are allowed to say to civilians and it takes the patience of a saint to keep answering the same questions over and over and over.

    Nonetheless; we all keep doing it - for You. <g>

    PHM
    ----------------



    Quote Originally Posted by Danny1976 View Post
    Thank you... Someone who see what I see. I think maybe he is trying to break some kind of posting record. He is at 24,353 post and its just filling this forum server storage of useless post. I am surprise he hasn't been banned. I think he may have helped some people here, but he is doing more harm than good.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  9. Likes JeffWil liked this post.
  10. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    27,218
    Post Likes
    Those 'risks' you mention have all long ago been shown to be false.

    PHM
    ---------



    Quote Originally Posted by Danny1976 View Post
    Yes he removed the R-22 refrigerant and vacuumed the system. He did not replace or add any oil to the compressor. My untis is model number GSH130421 and I bought it in 2010. If I am correct newer R-22 units came with POE oil, but I am not sure if my compressor did. I think my compressor has mineral oil. How severe is this? I read that the oil may be in the coils and not come back to the compressor and keep the compressor oil level low. Also that 407c mixed with mineral oil could become like a sludge.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  11. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,730
    Post Likes
    Lol, Goodman warranty, isn’t that what you call an oxymoron?

    Don’t worry when it fails next season, they’ll give you a new unit under their “lifetime compressor warranty”, lol haha haha....
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

  12. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's country - Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Posts
    967
    Post Likes
    If the compressor has mineral oil, the simplest fix would be to remove the R407c and replace it with a refrigerant that's compatible. There are several available.

    Your "tech" should have known to do this to begin with.
    Bob Boan


    ​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

  13. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,414
    Post Likes
    http://s3.supplyhouse.com/manuals/12...tion-Sheet.pdf

    If you registered your system initially you get the 10/10 compressor and parts warranty on the OD section. So you should have give or take one year left.

    BTW if your interested in knowing if the Contractor installed AHRI matched systems page 57 gives the ratings in HSPF, SEER, EER for matched systems.

    Hopefully they registered the coil they changed out, or you can do it yourself as you probably will get a 10 year warranty on it?

    Dont believe Goodman warranty follows the original start up date and you get just one year. ( you mention install date of 2010 ) like some manufacturers. Could be wrong thou?

  14. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    57
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by bobboan View Post
    If the compressor has mineral oil, the simplest fix would be to remove the R407c and replace it with a refrigerant that's compatible. There are several available.

    Your "tech" should have known to do this to begin with.
    Is there disagreement on this subject of mixing 407C with mineral oil in the HVAC Community? Like Poodle Head Mikey mention on the post above that it has been proven false... if I read his post correctly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •