Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

UPDATE on Trying to diagnose low refrigerant

Tech came out to check the unit. Used a electronic tool to find gas leaks, but could not detect it. He said it may be because there is not enough pressure in the unit. He also believes there could be an obstruction in the lines. Since the Evap Coils are still under warranty... He recommended changing the Evap coils, replacing the dryer filter, removing the R22, flushing the lines and replacing it with the 407C refrigerant.

I thought originally that the factory dryer filter was still inside the unit and a second one outside. I was wrong, the person who originally put the new filter had taken out the factory filter. Now the tech says that the dryer filter is recommended that its install as close as possible to the condensing unit, but its sometimes installed outside the unit because its easier. Why is that?

He also mention something about how the Return at the Air Handler was not ideal. He said it would cause an increase in pressure, which could lead to coils to leak. I am not sure exactly the wording, but something with the Return design and causing increase in pressure. He said the design would be ideal if the filter was underneath the unit. The picture below is a similar Return.

Post Likes
    I would find another tech. That one belongs in congress, not HVAC.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    Is that your only return?
    If so, what size is that flex duct?
    What tonnage unit do you have?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    You really dont want to hear what I have to say!

Post Likes
    I do. all I "hear" on here is condescending remarks that add nothing to the post but a reply. im not even sure you are a owner/tech from your lame replies.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny1976 View Post
    Tech came out to check the unit. Used a electronic tool to find gas leaks, but could not detect it. He said it may be because there is not enough pressure in the unit. He also believes there could be an obstruction in the lines. Since the Evap Coils are still under warranty... He recommended changing the Evap coils, replacing the dryer filter, removing the R22, flushing the lines and replacing it with the 407C refrigerant.

Ask him why he thinks there may also be a restriction. Since a system low on charge would be real hard to make that determination.

Sounds like a shot gun repair.

I thought originally that the factory dryer filter was still inside the unit and a second one outside. I was wrong, the person who originally put the new filter had taken out the factory filter. Now the tech says that the dryer filter is recommended that its install as close as possible to the condensing unit, but its sometimes installed outside the unit because its easier. Why is that?

Actually, its generally suppose to be installed as close to the indoor metering device as possible. Often its installed outside the condenser cabinet because its easier to reach it, and change it out when need be.

He also mention something about how the Return at the Air Handler was not ideal. He said it would cause an increase in pressure, which could lead to coils to leak. I am not sure exactly the wording, but something with the Return design and causing increase in pressure. He said the design would be ideal if the filter was underneath the unit. The picture below is a similar Return.

Poor return design can cause the pressure to be high in heating mode. But unless its going above factory test pressure, its not going to cause a leak problem.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Its a 2 story house 2,170 sqft. The Air Handler is on the 2nd floor right in front of the stairs. Its the only return... The house was built on 2001 and I do see that some two story new construction come with two separate units. Although my sister but a new two story house and she has only a single unit like mine. The outside unit is 3.5 Tons and the opening of the return is 15 3/4 in circumference. Do you think the opening is small and should be widen?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa View Post
    I do. all I "hear" on here is condescending remarks that add nothing to the post but a reply. im not even sure you are a owner/tech from your lame replies.
    Thank you... Someone who see what I see. I think maybe he is trying to break some kind of posting record. He is at 24,353 post and its just filling this forum server storage of useless post. I am surprise he hasn't been banned. I think he may have helped some people here, but he is doing more harm than good.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Poor return design can cause the pressure to be high in heating mode. But unless its going above factory test pressure, its not going to cause a leak problem.
    Thank you for your reply. I want to apologies if I it seemed like I was trying to fix my own unit in the previous post I created, but I wasn't. I can see why you would close the post. I will try to keep the questions simple and not get into too many diagnosing details. I was just trying to diagnose my unit, because now days there's many in your profession that are just trying to rip people off. Same with other professions like mechanics. Sometimes you have to do your research so that you are not ignorant and know if the tech is honest or dishonest.

Post Likes
    I hope you have more then a single 16” flex for return. If not, your return is pretty significantly undersized.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    I hope you have more then a single 16” flex for return. If not, your return is pretty significantly undersized.
    That's the only return. What kind of damage are we talking about? Poor performance or equipment damage?

Post Likes
    Poor performance, failure to deliver full rated capacity, possible damage from refrigerant floodback to compressor, the unit is probably loud while running.

Post Likes
    Everything is working fine so far. Replaced evap coils under warranty, removed R-22 refrigerant with 407C and replaced dryer filter. He removed the dryer filter from the outside unit and added the new one right before the liquid line enters the evap coils. So far so good. Right now we are in the low 60's and wont be able to tell how fast it cools unitl it warms up a little here in Central Florida.

Had issues with the warranty since Goodman changed the policies for their warranty. The person name on the warranty has to match the name that's on the property deed or title. They are now doing a property search to check the warranty. In my case..... The house is on my parents in laws name since my credit was not good enough and I had registered the warranty on my name. I explained that the house has not been sold and The unit is still with the original owner. I had write a letter explaining the whole situation with the information they requested and they updated my warranty info so that the claim could be approved.

Just in case someone doesn't know, Goodman Warranty procedures have changed.Also he mentioned that I shoudn't worry about the return so much right now. He said I should redo the return once I decided to replace the unit... since it would be the perfect time and space to work on the return.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast