Post Likes

Aprilaire 600 install, can 6” bypass duct be installed below A coil

Thinking of getting a whole house humidifier installed, but before I go out and get a pro to install it, I am wondering if it will even be possible. The ideal setup will be to install the humidifier unit on the return plenum and have the bypass pipe go to the supply side.

Looking at my current setup, my A coil is about 15” above the furnace and close to the ceiling, so the bypass pipe won’t be able to be installed above the coil. I also read about having a unit directly installed on the A coil housing but not recommend due to failure could result in water going into the controls.

Since there is such a huge housing that is empty between the furnace and the A coil, will it be ok to have the bypass duct connect to the housing below the A Coil. ?
    I assume it will be fine, as there is no air restriction, but wondering if the humidified air going through the coil will be an issue down the road.

TIA, great forum, I spent probably 3 hours reading up here

Cheers

Post Likes
    I would say that's fine.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul R. View Post
    but wondering if the humidified air going through the coil will be an issue down the road.
    I'm not exactly sure of your situation, but I wanted to point out that with a bypass humidifier the "humidified air" will always be going through the entire furnace and A-coil, no matter what. The air starts at the supply, gets forced through the humidifier and then gets sucked into the return, no matter which side of the furnace you mount the humidifier to.

I recommend checking into a "fan powered humidifier". They usually aren't that much more expensive, and since you wouldn't have the bypass duct to worry about it might help in your situation.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post

I recommend checking into a "fan powered humidifier". They usually aren't that much more expensive, and since you wouldn't have the bypass duct to worry about it might help in your situation.
    Thanks for your explanation, while I like the idea of a powered humidifier, given my setup. It’s just not possible. The powered one would only be able to be installed in one specific area of the supply, and it would probably obstruct an entrance area hence the idea of a bypass. Now that you explained how humidified air would go through the whole system which makes sense, I feel more comfortable with the by pass location.

If anyone has any other input before I call contractor it would much appreciated. I always like being well informed so I can work closely with the contractor on ensuring this will be done right.

Post Likes
    A fan powered may fit on the 15" riser your coil is mounted on. A couple pictures of your furnace may help us help you.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    A fan powered may fit on the 15" riser your coil is mounted on. A couple pictures of your furnace may help us help you.
    100% it would fit there , but the only side it would fit on has the furnace inlet and outlet pipes in front, while a powered unit won’t fit there , the bypass 6” pipe will, hence why I am leaning to the bypass option.

Anyways called up my HVAC buddy to come check it out before I order anything. On the opposite side there is no obstruction, however if I place a unit there then I can’t put the door back

Humidity levels in the house are not bad, I am just looking to increase 10% RH. Both my daughter and I suffer with eczema and just trying to condition our space to alleviate.

So far RH has only dropped to 30% with an outdoor temp of -20.

I am in Toronto ontario for reference.