Portland, OR(Previous: Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma)
    Post Likes

Bryant variable speed heat pump question

Will Bryant variable speed heat pumps hold up in the Phoenix area?

I'm a service technician that owns a rental house in Phoenix and I'm currently working in Oregon.

I want to install new heat pumps in my rental and want variable speed because my electric bill was over $500/month with the thermostats set at 80 degrees. (yes my refrigerant levels were perfect and yes they were sized correctly)

I worked for a Trane company in Arizona and I was a huge fan of their XVs. However, now I'm working for a Bryant company so my employee discount is through Bryant.

I don't recall seeing any variable speed Bryant/Carriers in my two years working there and I know they have/had compressor issues in high temperatures (288BNV)

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    That unit uses a rotary compressor. It has tighter operational limits than the 280ANV.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    That unit uses a rotary compressor. It has tighter operational limits than the 280ANV.
    Think I'm better off sticking with an XV?

Post Likes
    I ask as a former landlord, Why would you want to put premium hvac in a rental ? Do you pay the utilities ? Just curious.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy1949 View Post
    I ask as a former landlord, Why would you want to put premium hvac in a rental ? Do you pay the utilities ? Just curious.
    Investment property. I'm doing it for resale value because I can get them at a discounted rate and I know good installers that can take care of it for me.

Basically I can spend $5-6k and raise value by a lot more than what I put in.

While I have renters in there paying for the mortgage I'm investing extra money into pool, hvac, solar, etc, flip house and sell. It's what I do for extra money. Helps me think about work less

Post Likes
    $500 a month! Well I don’t live out west and I’m certain your cooling load is higher than mine. But here’s a few things to think about. If your system (( equipement size, ducting,(including balance) and equipment tune)) are good, you may want to check other things like insulation and window values. While moving up in seer can save you some money per month depending on current situations, it may not be as much as you’d hope. For example, my house with 10 seer equipment located on east coast, duct was ok, house 15 years old. I purchased the 288 heat pump, redesigned duct, added zones. My comfort level went up, energy bill dropped, a win win. But it only dropped by $30-40 a month.

Keep in mind, staging equipment is mainly for comfort not efficiency. Those two are not one in the same, comfort and efficiency. Sometimes we’re able to marry the two closely. But that’s here on east, with high humidity ect. Your mileage may vary.

But I’d look at the product performance data, it’ll have all operational data listed. I love my investor, Bryant all the way.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeThrowGuy View Post
    Investment property. I'm doing it for resale value because I can get them at a discounted rate and I know good installers that can take care of it for me.

Basically I can spend $5-6k and raise value by a lot more than what I put in.

While I have renters in there paying for the mortgage I'm investing extra money into pool, hvac, solar, etc, flip house and sell. It's what I do for extra money. Helps me think about work less

Can you really get your money back going with the top end ? New a/c or new varible a/c has the same marketing value to the general public IMO. However i'm not in Phx where it runs all year. Gotta keep in mind repairs also sombody has to fix what breaks while you own it out of state and all, and it sounds like you already have a Trane dude you trust.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldscroll View Post
    Can you really get your money back going with the top end ? New a/c or new varible a/c has the same marketing value to the general public IMO. However i'm not in Phx where it runs all year. Gotta keep in mind repairs also sombody has to fix what breaks while you own it out of state and all, and it sounds like you already have a Trane dude you trust.
    Yeah I know service technicians and installers that have my back. The issue with Arizona specifically is electric is so costly. I was paying between $500-600 in electricity/monthly to cool 2800 sqft. So as far as housing value, if I could present the future buyers with "hey my electric bill is only $250-300 in peak season"... Then that's a huge deal. If I was installing in any other area (minus Texas and Florida) I'd say I wouldn't care about efficiency but Arizona is constant AC for 7-8 months.

Post Likes
    Tightening the envelope has a much higher return on investment!

Post Likes
    i was in real estate for 3 years here in FL.
    the resale value for a new a/c is not as big as you said
    old system vs new system make your house sell fast because people want turn key house, since the prices are going out, they don't want pay big money and do renovation as well once they move in.
    14 seer or 21 seer change the the sale price ? maybe but not that much
    a new system does . no matter the seer rate
    at least here in FL
    Visit our website at www.airconcomfortcooling.com