+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big Game Hunters

Post Likes

Big Game Hunters

For all the big game hunters here I am just curious as to what rifle you are using. I have used a Remington model 700 30-06 all of my life. I hand load all my rounds using a 168 gain boat tail hollow point. I have a red field X8 scope and I am looking at a new rifle and scope. I am looking at a .338 win mag and a leoupld scope. I am just curious as to what you guys are using and swear by. I love the 06 but it is too punishing to shoot and in my older age 6 rounds a day is all I want. I am looking for something with the same punch less kick. I am thinking the .338 win mag may be it but I don't know what kind of kick it has I've never shot one. Defiantly not a .577 T-REX!

Post Likes
    I also use a 30.06 Mossberg 100ATR, but like with you, it's a bit punchy. Funny I have a Remington mod 700 270 that I use more often. Ammo for both always common even in small towns as I don't reload, but have a buddy that does I shoot with.
    Think I'll pass on the T rex, but I think my son would like it

Post Likes
    22 rifle with the proper shot and aim will take the biggest beast down!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by superheatmaster View Post
    22 rifle with the proper shot and aim will take the biggest beast down!!!
    True but not legal, and too much chance for wounding and suffering

Post Likes
    I did recently purchase a Kel-Tec PMR 30, 22 magnum semi auto pistol. It has a lightweight composite frame, doesn't jam & w 4, 30 round clips, I don't have to aim well. It's just a fun lil plinker w a bit more power

Post Likes
    What are you calling " big game " ? Mule deer, elk, hogs ! A buddy of mine that has a big income goes to Africa every few years and his idea of big game is different than me.
    I have a 308 on a Mauser action I like but my .257 Roberts will do a great job on deer. 6 rds, My late FiL would say that's 6 deer

Post Likes
    A lot of the guys around here are switching to 6.5 Creedmore for white tale. In the right gun it’s comfortable to shoot with big stopping power and long range.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    A lot of the guys around here are switching to 6.5 Creedmore for white tale. In the right gun it’s comfortable to shoot with big stopping power and long range.
    Interesting I have never considered that caliber. I forgot to mention I hunt elk and moose.

Post Likes
    There is a hunting forum here I think. Lots of info. Making me hungry for some venison.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    There is a hunting forum here I think. Lots of info. Making me hungry for some venison.
    Buddy of mine at work, got a deer a couple weeks ago. He butchered it and made venison bologna with pepper jack cheese mixed in, then smoked it.
    It was good stuff while it lasted.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Buddy of mine at work, got a deer a couple weeks ago. He butchered it and made venison bologna with pepper jack cheese mixed in, then smoked it.
    It was good stuff while it lasted.
    That sounds awesome I've never made bologna. My grandfather always use to make us summer sausage.

Post Likes
    Gee guys, I hunt deer a little differently that you do.....and all I use is some fresh fruit

Name:  IMAG0002.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  100.8 KB

Post Likes
    I have never hunted anything bigger than whitetail. I use a Rem 700 in .270 and here in SC, that is all I need. When go to Ohio I hunt with a .50 black powder rifle.

I do have a friend that swears by the 6.5 Creedmore mentioned earlier in this thread. I have never shot one, much less hunted with that caliber.

Post Likes
    If the 30-06 is too much, the .338 win mag isn't going to help. More powder, more bullet, more velocity equals more recoil. If you handload, you can make the .30-06 do whatever you want in terms of lowering the recoil. 125 NBTs over a light load can be handled by just about anyone.

Plenty are using the 6.5 Creedmoor for elk. I'm not sure a little more isn't better. The .270 is probably still the best lighter recoil option for bigger ungulates. Think well constructed 150's. The distance you are willing to shoot and weight of rifle you are willing to carry play a large role in cartridge selection when recoil is a factor.

Recoil pads and brakes (if you can handle the noise) can do a lot for recoil.

There are better options than Leupold.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in