+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: compressor shopping

Post Likes

compressor shopping

On the Goodman condenser units GSX130301A , are the compressors part specific or can I use a lower or higher btu rated size for example all I can find to replace a GSX130301A compressor is ZP29K5EPFV830 Copeland scroll and not a ZP30" "? Yes, I can order one through my supplier but I want to get one through HD Supply since I have an account with them but they are limited in there selection.

Post Likes
    Most compressors are designed for a specific application, BTU rating and volumetric flow as well as power and type of oil and refrigerant.

You can't just get any "2 Ton Compressor, it won't work.

Is a service tech involved?

Post Likes
    A replacement is available. You're wholesaler will know the new model #!

Post Likes
    Well, I am the Tech, So what I am trying to do is get ready for next years Battle and I want to have a compressor on hand for each of my units. But I am having a hard time getting ahold of Goodman Tech Support and It sounds like I need to have my supplier just order me the compressor. I was trying to be thrifty and get the same compressor else where for a cheaper price but it sounds like that is not the best choice. Thanks for your reply.

Post Likes
    so your going to purchase a compressor now and let the warranty possibly run out?

My supply houses keep many in stock, and I can get one in a day or 2.

Why compressors? Everything else fails much sooner, if your going thru compressors you might want to find out why!
    Last edited by pecmsg; 11-18-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Post Likes

This is where things got crazy

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    so your going to purchase a compressor now and let the warranty possibly run out?

Why compressors? Everything else fails much sooner, if your going thru compressors you might want to find out why!
    As the story goes , I have 185 units,(Apartment Community) all of which are on the way out and 1/4 of them are already burn outs and 10 seer r-22 dinosaurs. Nearly half of them where not properly installed nor matched with the air handlers. So to make it just a little harder we are performing that very sketchy procedure of r410a conversion with only solvent flushing the lines , sometimes replacing the Evap coil as needed and throwing on a new condenser that is 13 seer with a 10 seer air handler. Not only physics says it cant be done but ethically it should not be done. BUT, with a starving budget and an owner who is trying to sell, I have my orders and I need the experience since I am brand new to the industry of Hvac. Quite the learning experience, BUT I like challenges. So like I said, I am just getting prepared for expected compressor burn outs due to acid contamination on units already converted. Waranties are already void from time of installation. Yep, its a lot of wasted time and money but, I have my orders. And yes, I do have all those other parts already that usually go out first. Now of those 185 units, there is only 4 models so I was going to get 4 Compressors to start. People in apartments get pretty upset when anything breaks so we are simply trying to make the fastest recovery on repairs.

Post Likes
    just get the OEM replacement. You said you are new to HVAC, I would not recommend installing a different compressor.

Post Likes
    Sure thing, I hope I don't need them, My biggest concern is remnants of Liquid r22 finding its way to the new compressor, I did flush out the systems really good with a residue free solvent, But is it really residue free? I don't see how it could be but its supposed to be compatible with the refridgerant, I do plan on testing them early spring for ACID and I do have an Acid core filter drier on them now. And hopefully the old Evap coils that where not replaced don't blow out They were all working good this last summer with a Delta T of 17 and I only charged them to 50F, a little scary to take them 60F.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCollins View Post
    Sure thing, I hope I don't need them, My biggest concern is remnants of Liquid r22 finding its way to the new compressor,
    I don't understand?
    I did flush out the systems really good with a residue free solvent, But is it really residue free?
    Residue Free? Forget the flush, they do more harm then good!

I don't see how it could be but its supposed to be compatible with the refridgerant, I do plan on testing them early spring for ACID and I do have an Acid core filter drier on them now. And hopefully the old Evap coils that where not replaced don't blow out They were all working good this last summer with a Delta T of 17 and I only charged them to 50F, a little scary to take them 60F.
    Again I don't understand.

Honestly how much experience do you have?

Post Likes
    Not very much at all experience, but from what I understand flushing the r22 is a must due to the fact that it remains a liquid even as the r410a vaporizes and will find its way to the compressor suction. We had a contractor before I started performing the work but on all 7 units that they converted they where installing 2 1/2 ton 13 seer condensers on the 2 ton 10 seer air handlers not only did the evap coils leak but the new compressors seized. When I gauged the ones that were still working they were charged to 60F / 167psi. So I charged my conversions to 50 F/ 143psi.Other than the fact that technically the evap coils should be changed due to capacity issue they are working.

Post Likes
    Most refrigerants 'boil off' at temps well below freezing (32*F)... so I would not be concerned about 'liquid R22'...
    (Your green-ness is showing... ... not busting your chops)

The problem is... compressors are made for specific applications... just because it is rated at 28K BTU's does NOT mean it will work in a 2.5T unit... LOTS of other things to concern yourself with.

My suggestion:
    Given you are employed in the business...
    Get your post count up, apply for PRO status...
    We can talk about this stuff in the PRO sections... however forum rules do not allow those discussions in public forums.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    With the exception of a few refrigerants you won’t use, you’ll never have liquid in a open system.
    Forget flushes they do more damage then good.
    Search changing with Super Heat and Sub Cooling.
    Pressures without temperatures are worthless.

Air Flow
    Air Flow
    Air Flow

Post Likes
    With the exception of a few refrigerants you won’t use, you’ll never have liquid in a open system.
    Forget flushes they do more damage then good.
    Search changing with Super Heat and Sub Cooling.
    Pressures without temperatures are worthless.

Air Flow
    Air Flow
    Air Flow
    YES ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

The most mis-understood part of residential and small commercial HVAC is airflow...
    LEARN IT (yeah, it is difficult, that is why it is mis-understood... )

Again... get your PRO rating... it is worth it!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    Hang on let me get the tape off my mouth. OK, so Ive heard and read in the books about charging by sub cooling. I have not actually done it yet.So, next summer will be a first. And I figured out, I probally over charged my first couple units. I am not super technical when reciting what ive done.So, I charged the units to 48F not 50 Because I started reading all sorts of peoples ideas on r410a. Now, my books say 118 to 120 psig on the low side and to charge by liquid into the liquid line.But then you hear about charging to 45F and even 48F, I am reading now that these are for dessert applications. So I figure where I am at I should just stick to the books and go with 118 psig. I am starting to understand the airflow importance and incorporate the subcooling method. I started with charging only r22 and so subcooling was not really discussed. And now I read that I need to charge r410a upside down and barely cracked to vaporize into the suction side. What?!! whats wrong with liquid into the liquid side?

Post Likes
    There is no such thing as charging to a certain pressure.
    Refrigerant is volatile when it comes to changing in load and temperature. A certain pressure doesn’t mean anything is working right or not.
    R-410A is a blend with a small glide. It should always be charged via a liquid.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Refrigerant changes pressure as the temperature goes up or down... that is why we have this thing called a 'P/T' chart (pressure/temperature)... might want to study that...
    (Yeah... that may be too much tech information in a public forum... sorry)

You REALLY, REALLY need to get your PRO rating...
    The answers you desire, are behind the PRO door!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    9 Posts away. OK it is sounding like you have to use a multiple of things and not just one when charging. I understand the concept of each such as PT chart , low and high side pressures and evaporation temps, sub cooling,Delta T, Liquid Charging by weight and scale. I am hoping to simplify this in my head but it is a bit much. R22 appeared to be much easier to charge or maybe it was because I wasn't seeing the whole picture.

Post Likes
    They all operate under the same Thermo dynamic principals

Post Likes

No find out why. This guy loves to sell compressors. There are times when I wished I had a 4440 on the truck, but I can usually have one in an hour.

Post Likes
    Residual R22? Not if you pulled a good vacuum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in