Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    I have never seen an 06E wired for part winding start. But I have worked on several Carrier 5H open drives wired that way, and they always started turning when that first contactor pulled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool breeze 38 View Post
    Everything you just described is normal operation of a part start winding. The compressor isnt going to start with half the wingdings energized. I don't ever remember seeing a 06e pump before the second contactor kicked in.
    Part start is to reduce the inrush so you dont get a large power spike. If this commercial building gets charged their monthly rate by the maximum current you want it to start this way.

The pressure creeping up when the liquid line solenoid is what should happen.

I'm going to say that the building personal thinks they hear something different when they really don't. Its just a different pitch. or heavier hum due to the old compressor having other issues.

https://climate.emerson.com/document...us-4268084.pdf
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I have never seen an 06E wired for part winding start. But I have worked on several Carrier 5H open drives wired that way, and they always started turning when that first contactor pulled in.
    I have seen 06e, Trane e&f, Bitzer, Copeland wired part winding and they always started turning when that first contactor pulled in.
    what would be the point of part winding start if there was not motor rotation?
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    I really don't see the big problem here!!!The second contractor pulls in so fast, how long could any humming last.Plus the sound of the compressor and the fans.Don't see the big problem.everything else is looking good?I have worked on many carrier part wind units, never noticed this.If it did happen, it was so fast, never an issue.Let it run!!!!!

Post Likes
    I'd be concerned enough to call Carrier. Maybe the answer is in that little O6D / O6E booklet.

Like I said earlier, my guess is low voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleng View Post
    I really don't see the big problem here!!!The second contractor pulls in so fast, how long could any humming last.Plus the sound of the compressor and the fans.Don't see the big problem.everything else is looking good?I have worked on many carrier part wind units, never noticed this.If it did happen, it was so fast, never an issue.Let it run!!!!!
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    It kicks in the second winding so fast, how can you really know when it starts to turn.does it really matter/it starts, turns,and pumps.Amp draw is good.Game on.

Post Likes
    As Per Copeland. An unloaded PWS comp will usually start to rotate on 1st contactor and then the 2nd winding kicks. But a loaded comp usually will not start to rotate w/ just the 1st contactor.

Post Likes
    It would be my opinion that a compressor which doesn't budge until CC-2 pulls in - is already de-facto starting across-the-line - except with more heat soak for the already tortured windings. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    As Per Copeland. An unloaded PWS comp will usually start to rotate on 1st contactor and then the 2nd winding kicks. But a loaded comp usually will not start to rotate w/ just the 1st contactor.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Not according to Copeland. Part Wind saves starting amps, 50% on some set ups vs Across the Line.

Post Likes
    How would that be being accomplished if the compressor doesn't start turning until it is actually across-the-line?

Which is what it is when the CC-2 pulls in. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Not according to Copeland. Part Wind saves starting amps, 50% on some set ups vs Across the Line.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    How would that be being accomplished if the compressor doesn't start turning until it is actually across-the-line?

Which is what it is when the CC-2 pulls in. <g>

PHM
    --------
    lol,PHM, I don't know. And I agree.But,I read it.

Post Likes
    Am I missing the simple fact that part winding start is supposed to reduce starting amps.

Starting amps are reduced by causing the motor to begin rotation before full voltage is applied.

It may be a bump, but beginning rotation before full voltage is applied, IS what reduces inrush current.

Post Likes
    In the Copeland Technical Information article w/ the 23 pgs on "Starting Methods" for Semi Comps??? I guess I shoulda said, its only pg 6-7 that deals w/ Part Wind Start info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12