Post Likes

Wiring: is the electrician or HVAC installer right?

Had a 2-ton Goodman unit installed in May. Ran great all summer. Replaced my electrical panel last month. Electrician says the a/c wiring is wrong and needs to be fixed. Installer says it is fine.

The run from panel to unit is approximately 40 to 45 feet. Currently is 12/2 Romex connecting to a 2-pole 20 amp breaker. Electrician says it needs to be 10/2 and 30 amps.

From the unit specs:
    Min circuit ampacity - 10.3
    Max overcurrent - 15 amps

Happy to provide any other info needed.
    Thanks for any responses!

Post Likes
    Those numbers are for the breaker size to use, for a GSX14024 as an example, so if you have a non fused outdoor disconnect as an example even the 20 amp. Breaker is oversized if you wanted to follow the manufacturers guide.

Says for wire size and breaker/fuse type on Goodman’s specifications sheet

Wire size should be determined in accordance with National Electrical Codes; extensive wire runs will require larger wire sizes.

Must use time-delay fuses or HACR-type circuit breakers of the same size as noted

What model number OD and ID unit do you have?

Did they install AHRI matched equipment as if you have the GSX14 ( as an example ) that OD unit can reach up to 15 SEER and 12.5 EER on paper depending on indoor selection. Anything less than a matched system you would be guessing at SEER and EER.

Hopefully your system got registered as manufacturers warranty decreases significantly if never registered.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 11-13-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aspect View Post
    Had a 2-ton Goodman unit installed in May. Ran great all summer. Replaced my electrical panel last month. Electrician says the a/c wiring is wrong and needs to be fixed. Installer says it is fine.

The run from panel to unit is approximately 40 to 45 feet. Currently is 12/2 Romex connecting to a 2-pole 20 amp breaker. Electrician says it needs to be 10/2 and 30 amps.

From the unit specs:
    Min circuit ampacity - 10.3
    Max overcurrent - 15 amps

Happy to provide any other info needed.
    Thanks for any responses!
    If the max is 15 then that’s it. Sparky should know that!

Post Likes
    Outdoor unit is GSX130241EE. I assume it is a matching system. From the initial install estimate: "Goodman 2 Ton R410A 13 seer Ac evaporator coil and Ac condensor". No access to the indoor unit at the moment, but will check later.

And, yes, it is registered.

Post Likes
    Outdoor unit is GSX130241EE. I assume it is a matching system. From the initial install estimate: "Goodman 2 Ton R410A 13 seer Ac evaporator coil and Ac condensor". No access to the indoor unit at the moment, but will check later.

And, yes, it is registered.
    https://www.alpinehomeair.com/related/ss-gsx13.pdf

Page 3 says maximum breaker/fuse to use is 15 AMP. For your model if you have a non fused OD disconnect

Also starting on page 28 shows all the AHRI matches and tells you your SEER and EER ( on paper ) so see if your ID coil/Air Handler matches. System will still work without being a matched system thou.

Post Likes
    Sounds like both the electrician and the installer need to familiarize themselves with Article 430 of the National Electric Code.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Checks out. I guess "sparky" loses this one. Thank you for your help.

HVAC guy did install a tandem breaker (panel was full before install) on a panel that was not rated for tandems, but we will let that pass now that we have a new panel.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    Sounds like both the electrician and the installer need to familiarize themselves with Article 430 of the National Electric Code.
    Ha, that is a little too dense for me (or am I a little dense for it?). Meaning it should actually just be a 15 amp and no higher?

Post Likes
    Ha, that is a little too dense for me (or am I a little dense for it?). Meaning it should actually just be a 15 amp and no higher?
    Yes, if the equipment rating plate states the Max Over Current Protection is 15 amps, it should be 15 amps.

Side note: I fat fingered the NEC article number - it should be Article 440.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    they're both wrong!

15 a breaker and 10/2 wire.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    80% of the load is the max rating of the breaker, 16 amps would the max allowed load on a 20 A breaker.

as far as I know, so I'd say you're good IF the unit was rated for 15 amps.

But it's MAX rating is 15 amps so breaker needs to be changed to 15 amps.