Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Combustion analyzer!

Alright guys, here comes another combustion analyzer question . Iím in the market for one .
    No matter how much i research. I canít find any threads that compare all the brands . I have my rep trying to sell me a uei because of the cheaper cost of ownership, but looks like accutools Blu flame looks nice as well , and then you have the other big players like Bacharach and Testo. I know itís fonna be expensive . I plan on spending around 1500 or less . I just want to get the analyzer that offers me all the test options . I donít want to buy one then wish I had a different one that had a different test option. And at the same time give me your feedback on the on phone apps for each if you guys have any experience with any of them , whatís the user experience like . Thanks in advance guys !

Post Likes
    cheaper cost of ownership
    Only thing (IMO) worth looking into. What yearly maintenance entails, where its to be sent and how much. We use them on every job here, and being without one for potentially 3 weeks is not a good idea. Also when you buy it, check the last time it was calibrated by the manufacture

Post Likes
    Also depends on what type of equipment you're working on. In your price range I have the Bacharach Insight Plus, which I like very much.
    I also have the UEI C155, which I liked too. I think now they updated it to the C165. I use the Bacharach for oil, but the UEI has some nice built in features and comes with dual manometer ports and the hoses (and the fittings) to check hi and low gas pressures, 2 k-type thermocouples for supply/return air temps.
    UEI was 5 years free checkup/calibration, don't know if it still is.
    Bacharach, requires annual check, but sensors are field replaceable and come calibrated.
    Bacharach has some nice features also. Their reporting app kinda sucks (I made my own), but I do like that each combustion test produces a QR code that I can scan into my iPhone to put into my database.

Both are in that price range you mentioned.

My first analyzer was a Testo (20+ years ago). I didn't really like it, but many people like the newer models.

For big commercial work, you'll probably need something more expensive. In which case if you are an employee, I'd expect the employer to provide.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    I just bought the bacharach without the printer. It was about $500. Love it. It's a must have for analyzing heat exchanger issues. And it is rated for lower temps, so I leave it in the truck unless it temps are going into the teens.

Post Likes
    Why no printer? Leaving a copy of the time-stamped combustion analysis on site is a must, or at least good practice.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    I believe a copy of the combustion test should be kept in a file at the office but if left with the equipment it can be misinterpreted.
    Especially if people think the efficiency number is correct.

The best analyzer is the one you can service yourself. Many have to go back to the factory. Bacharach is the simplest to use and maintain. Also analyzers that stop the pump when the CO range is exceeded is damaging to the sensor and doesn't allow us to collect the O2 or flue temperature. It is hard to damage a CO sensor at high levels as long as you keep in running until the numbers come down.

Bacharachs keep running. They do not need to be checked every year. I have been checking them for years and no analyzer I have tested wasn't off enough to make a difference after 2 years. The O2 sensor has a 2 years life and self calibrates every time you turn it on. CO sensors usually last 6 to 10 years. If you buy a Bacharach in a pouch without the magnetic boot you will be sorry. You need the case and boot. The Intech is around $700 and works on residential and commercial unless you have to measure NOX or SO2.

I have been calibrating Bacharach equipment since the 80's. Because my life depends on it, I make sure it is right. A calibrated CO sensor costs about $220 or I will do it for $85 to $95. I also know how to fix the pumps when they are not pumping correctly.
    I hope to train someone else to take my place down the road.
    captain CO

Post Likes
    Hey Jim , I appreciate your input! And I also am looking for a class to take on combustion analysis , I live in north central Ohio about two hours north of Columbus . You have any classes going on soon or know of any others . Thanks in advance . And are you saying I should steer towards the Bacharach vs others ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Jim, Rudy certifies the calibration of our analyzers. I’d love to learn the mechanical ins and outs of them if you are not able to find a young guy to be your protoge.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    I leave a copy on site, and take one back to the office.

As there is a good chance I might be selling my business, and too young (at 54) to retire (according to my wife), I'd seriously consider learning how to service/calibrate analyzers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEAPRHVAC View Post
    Hey Jim , I appreciate your input! And I also am looking for a class to take on combustion analysis , I live in north central Ohio about two hours north of Columbus . You have any classes going on soon or know of any others . Thanks in advance . And are you saying I should steer towards the Bacharach vs others ?

This is the best statement I've seen in a while!

Your going to go far in this industry!

11. Likes CHEAPRHVAC liked this post
    Post Likes
    I believe we have another class scheduled at our office in Sheffield Lake December. 17,18 & 19. However I will be teaching in PA that week.

Yes, the Bacharach Intech is all you need, with a case and magnetic boot. You can check NCI website for additional info or message me.
    captain CO

Post Likes
    Canít go to that one then. Need the class where your there. Make sure Iím getting the real deal .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEAPRHVAC View Post
    Can’t go to that one then. Need the class where your there. Make sure I’m getting the real deal .

There are other instructors at NCI. None of them are 2nd rate. They are all the real deal.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast