Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Famous quotes

Post Likes

2. Likes Lahrs liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    "As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality."

George Washington; BTW This not some myth or Urban Legend. I saw the actual George Washington Papers, at the Jewish Museum in Philly.
    This was not referring to the federal government becoming more liberal. It was about the society/private sector. You know, the social fabric.

There is a WORLD of difference between the two.

BTW, here is one or my favorite quotes:

"If you're not getting banned every year or two, you're not trying."

Or something to that effect.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    Are you trying to make a point that might somehow seem contradictory to other beliefs?
    No. He just didn't understand the quote. The meaning behind that quote is repeated by conservatives all the time. In fact it's a cornerstone of Constitutional Conservatism.

Post Likes
    Here are some good quotes. Thank you very much

George Wallace During a speech at the time of the Vietnam War joked:

"Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?"

PRESIDENTS ON PROSTITUTION

My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in awhorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there’s hardlyany difference.— Harry Truman.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I havecome to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.— Ronald Reagan

Barry Goldwater: "
    I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" Nomination speech in 1964.

I told Johnson and old colleagues on Capitol Hill that we had two clear choices. Either win the [Vietnam] war in a relatively short time, say within a year, or pull out all our troops and come home.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

6. Likes Achso017 liked this post
    Post Likes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Think of this every time conservatives attempt an intelligent debate with regressives.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."

Mark Twain

Post Likes
    “We ain’t got no lectricity” - some out of work coal miner on wcyb who has laid around the house going deeper and deeper in the hole instead of going out and getting educated or finding another line of work.

Post Likes
    Nothing is fool proof... They breed better fools every year.

me.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

11. Likes Core_d liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    This was not referring to the federal government becoming more liberal. It was about the society/private sector. You know, the social fabric.

There is a WORLD of difference between the two.
    So what kind of Government are you saying we have? I thought we were a Government of Society/Private Sector, a Government of “The People.”

13. Likes Brian8383 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    So what kind of Government are you saying we have? I thought we were a Government of Society/Private Sector, a Government of “The People.”
    Your are conflating two things. Washington was referring to the private sector. Society. Not government. Even though government is OF, FOR an BY the people doesn't mean we are nothing except for government. It should play a minor role. It's like saying my car is me because I picked it. Or my screwdriver. Unfortunately the bastardization of what government should be has done great harm. And part of that bastardization was misinterpreting quotes from the founders.

Washington was saying as out society becomes more charitable and open, more people will be protected and embraced. It nothing to do with government becoming more liberal. And certainly not more liberal by today's definition of the word. He was stating the opposite of what you likely believed the quote to mean. He was talking about you and your wife taking care of your neighbor.

Society is different and separate from government. And should be. And smart people know that.

bas·tard·ize

/ˈbastərˌdīz/

verb

gerund or present participle: bastardizing

1. change (something) in such a way as to lower its quality or value, typically by adding new elements.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    “Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.”
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)

“What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

Post Likes
    "When you're 20 you care what everybody thinks, when you're 40 you stop caring what everyone thinks, when you're 60 you realize no one was ever thinking about you in the first place"

- Winston Churchill

16. Likes Core_d, Achso017 liked this post
    Post Likes
    MAN IN THE ARENA SPEECH

Theodore Roosevelt

Complete Text

"Citizenship In A Republic", delivered at the Sorbonne, in Paris, France on 23 April, 1910

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

18. Likes vin lashon liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    Your are conflating two things. Washington was referring to the private sector. Society. Not government. Even though government is OF, FOR an BY the people doesn't mean we are nothing except for government. It should play a minor role. It's like saying my car is me because I picked it. Or my screwdriver. Unfortunately the bastardization of what government should be has done great harm. And part of that bastardization was misinterpreting quotes from the founders.

Washington was saying as out society becomes more charitable and open, more people will be protected and embraced. It nothing to do with government becoming more liberal. And certainly not more liberal by today's definition of the word. He was stating the opposite of what you likely believed the quote to mean. He was talking about you and your wife taking care of your neighbor.

Society is different and separate from government. And should be. And smart people know that.

bas·tard·ize

/ˈbastərˌdīz/

verb

gerund or present participle: bastardizing

1. change (something) in such a way as to lower its quality or value, typically by adding new elements.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I beg to clarify: 250 years ago, Liberalism was about getting away from a top-down, monarchistic form of government, and making local, bottom-up governments that joined together in a confederation.

Here's the quote again:
    "As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality."

George Washington also said:
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.
    Last edited by Space Racer; 11-14-2019 at 09:21 PM.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast