Post Likes

Flames rolling into flue

I had a call yesterday afternoon that was in a historic theater built in 1893. The original coal fired steam boiler was in the basement next to the natural gas steam boiler I was sent to work on. Anyhow the complaint was only a few radiators were heating. I go down into the basement to find the boiler satisfied at the thermostat, no pressure and a hot steam main. So I turn the thermostat up and the first thing I notice when this 1.6 MBTU boiler fires was the bright yellow flames and some roll out in the front of the boiler. I check the draft diverter and I can literally see the soot flowing right into the flue. Fouled heat exchanger I assume so I let it run so I can see it build pressure. Thirty minutes go by nothing, smoke a cigarette go back in maybe 1/4 PSI but I hear something. I turn up my hearing aids and I hear flames like in an induced draft furnace. I go look in the draft diverter and see flames rolling out with force into the flue. Right then I knew it was a hole in the heat exchanger. So to test my theory I open the relief valve and fire the boiler this time the flames were gone. I opened the boiler today and it would appear that the joint between two sections started leaking and then totally rusted out fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Likes Fender60 liked this post