Post Likes

Heating or Cooling causes more heat pump wear?

Does an hour of heating or hour of cooling cause more wear on a heat pump? In general things wear out faster when they are hotter so I would guess cooling but with a heat pump you are also dealing with different pressures so I ask the experts.

Post Likes
    I'd say heating. More extreme conditions, weather, defrosts are hard on it.

Post Likes
    Let's not assume extreme conditions. Something like Florida where its not below freezing and were the differential between the home temperature and the outside temperature is about the same on the plus side (summer) as the minus side (winter).

Post Likes
    Generally, heating. Causes a high compression ratio at low ambients.

When I was installing Ruud equipment, the mfg said to leave 'em run no matter how cold it was outside. (if using resistance back-up) As the equipment lasted longer and still produced some heat....
    A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    Some are shutting off at 0 or so. Rheem/Ruud is, AS/Trane does on the single stage. Trouble with hitting the low pressure switch and locking out. Easy for them to do it since they have an outdoor thermistor for demand defrost.

The rotary inverters in split equipment, not minis, tend to shut off near 0. The inverter scrolls tend to stay on.