Thread: Heat Pump/Aux

Post Likes

Heat Pump/Aux

Ok, so last spring I had a new heat pump put in. It works great and has saved me significant amounts of electricity compared to the old one this summer and fall. My only problem is the contractor set the temp rise (the point at which the furnace kicks on) to a 6 degree difference or an outside temp of 15 degrees. As, I hope, you can imagine the 6 degree mark is a big swing. The soonest the contractor can get out to my place is December 9th. I've been manually switching the thermostat to Em heat at night, but will be leaving town for a few days and I'm sure my wife will forget, until she's freezing in the middle of the night. Is there a way i can set the difference from 6 degrees to 3 degrees myself?

And the reason they set it to 15 degrees outside instead of 25 had something to do with freezing rain and the blades. The last one was set at 32 degrees and I never had an issue with that.

Thanks in advance!!

Post Likes
    Without knowing what thermostat you have, we don't know how to change the settings. Additionally we don't know your location. It will probably be simpler for you to simply set the system for emergency heat until the installer can return.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Without knowing what thermostat you have, we don't know how to change the settings. Additionally we don't know your location. It will probably be simpler for you to simply set the system for emergency heat until the installer can return.
    It is a visionpro 8000 thermostat and I live in PA - it's fairly mild during the day this season, and the overnight lows are 20 to 25.

Post Likes
    From what I can see in the VisionPRO 8000 installation instructions, that is not a dual fuel thermostat. Perhaps he installed a separate kit for dual fuel, in which case you'll need the installer to alter the changeover setting.

Note, temperature rise refers to the change of temperature through a furnace.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    From what I can see in the VisionPRO 8000 installation instructions, that is not a dual fuel thermostat. Perhaps he installed a separate kit for dual fuel, in which case you'll need the installer to alter the changeover setting.

Note, temperature rise refers to the change of temperature through a furnace.
    This is the thermostat Honeywell TH8321WF1001 Touchscreen Thermostat Wifi Vision Pro 8000 with Stages upto 3 Heat / 2 Cool....sorry for the confusion on my explanation. I just didn't know how to describe "My furance won't kick on unless I have the set point at 70 and the heat pump can only sustain 63".

6. Likes pacnw liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jradle View Post
    This is the thermostat Honeywell TH8321WF1001 Touchscreen Thermostat Wifi Vision Pro 8000 with Stages upto 3 Heat / 2 Cool....sorry for the confusion on my explanation. I just didn't know how to describe "My furance won't kick on unless I have the set point at 70 and the heat pump can only sustain 63".
    First, with a heat pump you find your comfortable temp and leave it there, no setback or changes.

When you use a setback, you lose money.

If you have the install manual it tells you how to do this.

If you are trying to keep the unit from freezing, I'd lock it out above 32°.

The idea is to find the point at which it's cheaper to run your back up heat vs the heat pump.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    First, with a heat pump you find your comfortable temp and leave it there, no setback or changes.

When you use a setback, you lose money.

If you have the install manual it tells you how to do this.

If you are trying to keep the unit from freezing, I'd lock it out above 32°.

The idea is to find the point at which it's cheaper to run your back up heat vs the heat pump.
    Agreed 100% - I like to set it and forget it. I'm not trying to set it back to save money - I just don't want to have to wait until the temperature in the house drops 6 degrees for the system to switch to AUX heat automatically. I have found there is not actual sweet spot for a lock out as the heat pump can keep up at 25 during the day (thanks to the sun), but can't keep up at 25 at night. Ideally, the heat pump would switch to the Aux heat immediately after dropping a degree in the house, I can live with 2 degrees, but I do NOT want 6 degrees. If I have to I'll keep manually switching from heat pump to aux on my own, (and just leave it in Aux when I go away) until the contractor comes out on the 9th.

Post Likes
    Agreed 100% - I like to set it and forget it. I'm not trying to set it back to save money - I just don't want to have to wait until the temperature in the house drops 6 degrees for the system to switch to AUX heat automatically. I have found there is not actual sweet spot for a lock out as the heat pump can keep up at 25 during the day (thanks to the sun), but can't keep up at 25 at night. Ideally, the heat pump would switch to the Aux heat immediately after dropping a degree in the house, I can live with 2 degrees, but I do NOT want 6 degrees. If I have to I'll keep manually switching from heat pump to aux on my own, (and just leave it in Aux when I go away) until the contractor comes out on the 9th.
    I have examined the manual again, and although the thermostat has terminals for an outdoor sensor, the manual makes no mention of a dual fuel system. I think there must be another component on the system that makes the change to gas furnace.
    I can think of only one or two installations where we used a VisionPRO. I use Prestige IAQ for dual fuel.

Post Likes
    I have examined the manual again, and although the thermostat has terminals for an outdoor sensor, the manual makes no mention of a dual fuel system. I think there must be another component on the system that makes the change to gas furnace.
    I can think of only one or two installations where we used a VisionPRO. I use Prestige IAQ for dual fuel.
    This is a dual fuel stat.

Not sure what you are looking at, but the paperwork that comes with these, and available online, is about worthless.

The set up info is all contained in the stat. On the old green screen HW stats you needed the manual to tell what the function number meant and its options. On these newer ones all that is now in plain language and stored onboard the stat.

This is a 3H/2C stat with 2 stages of compressor and 1 stage of back up heat.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Post Likes
    That makes no sense!!!!

25° is 25°. The only difference may be moisture in the air, but that can change throughout the day as well.

As I mentioned in my reply to kdean1, the info you need CAN be accessed by the homeowner. However, if you don't understand it it is best to leave it until someone qualified can do it.

Who sets it at that much of a differential?!?!?!? Hell, factory is 3° IIRC. That would mean he went in and did this on purpose. Just makes no sense!!!

Post Likes
    That makes no sense!!!!

25° is 25°. The only difference may be moisture in the air, but that can change throughout the day as well.

As I mentioned in my reply to kdean1, the info you need CAN be accessed by the homeowner. However, if you don't understand it it is best to leave it until someone qualified can do it.

Who sets it at that much of a differential?!?!?!? Hell, factory is 3° IIRC. That would mean he went in and did this on purpose. Just makes no sense!!!

This guy was a joke - after install my house didn't heat at all, turned out the guy they sent didn't realize the new system wouldn't work with the old ducts - I ended up getting all new properly sized ducts for free. The poor guy also lost his job - I never get excited to hear that, regardless how big of a screw up somebody is.

Anyways - have you ever stood in the sun and then in the shade? 25 degrees during the day vs at night is very different.

There is a spot in the menu selection to go in and adjust settings, but you need a password. I've tried 0000, 1234, 5678, and 9999 - none of them work, so I can't even scroll through to see if that setting is available.

Post Likes
    I'm trying to think how you get 6° of differential in a stat, you know the difference between 1st and 2nd stg. Makes me wonder if the guy wired the furnace to 3rd stg assuming a single stg HP. I can't say as I have ever seen where you could change that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I'm trying to think how you get 6° of differential in a stat, you know the difference between 1st and 2nd stg. Makes me wonder if the guy wired the furnace to 3rd stg assuming a single stg HP. I can't say as I have ever seen where you could change that.
    I don't know the difference. I can tell you the heat pump is a bosch, but the furnace/blower is single stage. The guy who came and did the install told me the lockout temp is 15 degrees (Which I will get changed on the 9th) and that the furnace won't kick on until there is a 6 degree difference in room temp and set temp, so I could us the programmable thermostat and do a set back of 5 degrees. I explained I'm more of a set it and forget it kind of guy in the winter, but do use the programmable thermostat in the summer with the a/c. I know this is probably TMI, but I also explained that I would like a higher lock out as when it is colder out I prefer the warmer air of the furnace and requested that it be set to a lockout temp of 30. He explained that ice can damage the blades and that a lower lockout point would prevent that.

Post Likes
    This is a dual fuel stat.

Not sure what you are looking at, but the paperwork that comes with these, and available online, is about worthless.

The set up info is all contained in the stat. On the old green screen HW stats you needed the manual to tell what the function number meant and its options. On these newer ones all that is now in plain language and stored onboard the stat.

This is a 3H/2C stat with 2 stages of compressor and 1 stage of back up heat.
    I stand corrected about it being for dual fuel. The manuals make absolutely no mention of it.

I steer clear of the VisonPRO because it is less helpful for tech set up. I remember the menu of 3 digit numbers on the older ones. Electronics have come a long way from the early days.

Post Likes
    I stand corrected about it being for dual fuel. The manuals make absolutely no mention of it.

I steer clear of the VisonPRO because it is less helpful for tech set up. I remember the menu of 3 digit numbers on the older ones. Electronics have come a long way from the early days.
    The new ones are easy to set up!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in