Post Likes

Heat pump will not auto defrost....

Mr.Kool 4ton heat pump has not ever went into auto defrost mode. Will defrost as it should if you do it manually but that's it. Freon is good, just replaced defrost board, and there are no trouble codes.

Post Likes
    What does your service provider say?

Post Likes
    What do mean by "do it manually"?
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    There are 3 switches on the defrost board. 1-autobor manual defrost, 2-reserved or normal defrost,3- 30 or 60 min. I've had 3 or 4 technicians come out none could figure it out. I'm pretty good at fixing most units but this one has me confused. My only thought is maybe on if the sensors? OAT or coil. Someone said something about the OAT being what actually starts the clock. So maybe it's bad and never starting the defrost count down???

Post Likes
    Who installed the unit? Maybe call them and see if they have someone knowledgeable.
    Mr Cool, is this one of those cheap internet sourced units?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    I bought it from a guy he had it about a year and I installed it. It can't be anything major because it works great except for not auto defrosting. I'm almost to the point of just replacing defrost board with a Goodman board and sensors.i did get some OAT numbers the other day. @ 65 sensor was supposed to read 13,000 something. But it only tested to 9.2k. I'd rather figureit out cause it's going to drive me crazy if I don't.

Post Likes
    Unfortunately we cannot offer you any technical information, as this site doesn’t allow for diy instruction.
    I’d see if there’s anyone familiar with the brand in your area. Maybe look at the contractor locator map here on the site.
    These cheap minis often have poor product support.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Why don't you check the value readings of the sensors instead of replacing the board? That was the first thing that should of been done.

This is just another reason why this is not a DIY site. HOs usually don't have the tools or training to diagnose, but they want to be told what part to replace..
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    Sorry, this is not a DIY site.

Thread closed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?