+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tubing Benders

Post Likes

Tubing Benders

I'm interested in feedback on benders worth looking at. Ease of use, bending pipe without deforming etc.

Any suggestions on models worth considering?

Post Likes
    I love my 600 series Ridgid benders, spinning runners which means I can even bend hard drawn pipe with them. 👌

Post Likes
    I’ve got the hilmor and CPS black max ratcheting benders. The hilmor has a much better chance of producing a smooth bend. It helps if you use a bit of oil on the bending shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    We had the hilmore and it was my favorite but it wore out. Now we have yellowjacket and they seem more durable but they dont make quite as nice bends.

Sent in a state of increasing entropy using Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Maybe you should consider putting in a price range you are going to spend. Are you in install or service commercial and resi or resi only?
    Last edited by pageyjim; 11-12-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Post Likes
    I have the CPS blackmax also i bought it because it was a little bit cheaper then the hilmor and as close too it as you can get in my opinion. It also came with the reverse bending attachment which alot of them do now but not all of them so be careful on that. I have never used the hilmor but one of the other guys at work has a yellow jacket one and i liked it so i bought the CPS. I prefer the CPS and the hilmor because they have aluminum bending shoes and the yellow jacket ones are plastic. The CPS bending shoes are also colour coded which is kinda cool. Comes in a nice hard case and will do 1/4 to 7/8 i believe. I also feel the fit and finish is really good on the CPS just feels well made but i have not got to use it much yet. The hilmor has almost like spring loaded detents on it so the bending mandrels snap on almost like a socket on a ratchet but the yellow jacket and CPS used a wing nut to tighten them on by hand The yellow jacket and CPS are more secure but if your switching sizes alot maybe you would like the hilmor better. For me its not a deal breaker as i generally only used one size at a time and it only takes a couple extra seconds to switch them.

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I looked up the Ridgid model mentioned - it looks like lever benders - not the ratcheting type. Good for hard tubing like steel lines but seems overkill for soft copper? Also it seems like you need to buy one for each size so the cost mounts up - I typically need 3/8" and 3/4" but it seems like it stops at 1/2"? Maybe the largest metric size is good enough for qwik99?

I will check out the other models suggested. I'm not in a rush to purchase and may end up going to AHR 2020 in which case I will stop by all the relevant booths and check out these benders.

Post Likes
    Soft Copper you can get away with just about any style of bender. I have the CPS Black Max and it works really good. Hard Copper you need a longer radius to create a smooth bend. It's doable with those style of benders posted above by qwik99. Swagelok benders are identical you have to make a small bend about 15* then hand bend it to 45* Then you can finish a 90* Bend with the lever. With those style it is hit and miss on hard copper depending on the quality on whether you will snap the copper or not.
    Ridgid makes a set of ratchet benders for 5/8", 3/4" 7/8" hard copper though that work great.
    https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/geared-...t-tube-benders

Honeywell makes a set of T-Handle Hand Benders for Hard 3/8" OD Copper. I've bent thousands of feet of tubing this year with these:
    https://customer.honeywell.com/en-US...&pid=CCT722B/U

Then you have this bad boy that can do it all... https://remstoolsusa.com/rems-580024...r-set-3-8-7-8/

Haven't gotten to use it or seen one in person but have seen someone post a bunch of hard copper they ran with one on facebook before.

Post Likes
    have a yellow jacket, hilmor, ebay cheapie and the latest is the cps blackmax. Im happy with all of them. Mostly the hilmor and cps but only used the cps once.

Dont cheap out, spend the extra for the reverse attatchment. Youll regret it if you dont.

Post Likes
    Yellow jacket with the reverse kit, which had to buy seperate.

And the spin tool swageing set.

Have saved me so much money its almost unbelievable

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in