Post Likes

Blower speed question

Hello everyone I need some help troubleshooting my HVAC.

I just moved to a new construction apartment building and have noticed some quirks with the hvac. It seems the blower speed is very loud and strong. My places is cooling extremely fast and short cycling... something like a 5 degree drop might be a 13 minute cycle. Where a normal cooling cycle is 5 mins. I have tried off-setting this by installing my ecobee and making differentials a bit higher while also adding some extra sensors. I have managed to get maybe 2-3 minutes extra on a cycle. The main issue I'm running into is due to these short cycles and overcooling, my humidity remains in the 50s and the overall comfort of the apartment is suffering since air is being circulated maybe once an hour for less than 10 minutes at a time.

I'm in Miami Florida.
    The model number for my blower is Rheem rf1t2421mtanjab05417. I believe it's a 2 ton unit and my apartment is roughly 950 square feet.

Upon reading the manual I'm seeing the blower comes factory default at the max setting t5 and wondering if perhaps in the rush of getting this apartment building open on time some installer forgot to adjust the blower speed accordingly. There are other instances of random things being in the default position in my apartment with stuff like the ice maker water line being set to off and my water heater being at a default setting.

I'm thinking about checking out the model unit across the hall and seeing if the AC is jet engine loud like mine and contacting my building maintenance but before looking like a crazy person to my building management I wanted to get some input from you guys.

Thank you for your time

Post Likes
    Oversized unless you are on the top floor of a poorly built building. The non ducted return is probably the biggest culprit. I assume it is in a closet with a louvered door?

The speed could be dropped back to 4 which would help dehumidification but probably not sound.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply. I actually am on the top floor of a newly built 7 story building. Does that usually factor into unit sizing in comparison to other floors?

Also the only return grill I see is in the master bedroom closet louvered closet door. AC unit is located on top half of a hallway closet above water heater with louvered closet door.

I'll see if I can talk to someone at maintenance about possibly bumping the blower speed to 4 and hopefully see some benefit.

Post Likes
    Slowing the fan speed slow cooling rate improves moisture removal. Setup which includes fan speed adjustment to get ideal moisture removal is basic.
    Some installers do not have a clue.
    In the end this setup will be critical. Noisy air flow is the first sign of a poorly adjust a/c and inadequate moisture removal. The target is <50%RH during peak cooling hours. During evenings and rainy day the indoor %RH will rise above 50%RH. You will be told ""you are just going to have to live with it, which most do.
    The only fix for this is a small whole space dehumidifier like the Ultra-Aire MD 33 or 75H.
    Keep us posted on your adventure.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Is the system NOT under warranty?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    Is the system NOT under warranty?
    It should be under warranty but it's a rental community building and every unit is the exact same so I am guessing my issue is everyone else's issue too. It might just be whoever they contracted to do all of these installs in the building sold them on oversizing and didn't do the best install possible. I had maintenance come by today and he bumped down the fan speed for me from t5 to t4. Going to monitor it for the next few days and see if there's any improvement in runtimes and moisture removal.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    Slowing the fan speed slow cooling rate improves moisture removal. Setup which includes fan speed adjustment to get ideal moisture removal is basic.
    Some installers do not have a clue.
    In the end this setup will be critical. Noisy air flow is the first sign of a poorly adjust a/c and inadequate moisture removal. The target is <50%RH during peak cooling hours. During evenings and rainy day the indoor %RH will rise above 50%RH. You will be told ""you are just going to have to live with it, which most do.
    The only fix for this is a small whole space dehumidifier like the Ultra-Aire MD 33 or 75H.
    Keep us posted on your adventure.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had the fan speed slowed down one step and will look into dehumidifier as well.