+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VFD/VSD AIR COOLED CHILLER IS REALLY ENERGY EFFICIENT FOR RESIDENTIAL BUILDING

Post Likes

VFD/VSD AIR COOLED CHILLER IS REALLY ENERGY EFFICIENT FOR RESIDENTIAL BUILDING

For the residential towers,providing Vfd air cooled chiller is beneficial in terms of energy savings ? As I discussed with multiple suppliers all have different opinion about this. York is telling as compared to constant speed chiller VSD chiller will give 20 to 25% energy savings . But Trane is telling that they have already more compressors comparing to york and the energy consuming will same as VSD air cooled chiller. Only advantage they are telling that starting current can make zero. I also heard that for the VSD chillers wear and tear for the compressors will be more because of running in high rpm.

Can you suggest which type of air cooled chiller will be more energy efficient for commercial towers.

Post Likes
    what type of compressors do you want.....scrolls or screws?

Post Likes
    If cost of kW demand is an issue, the VFD's might be ahead in this horse race.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    what type of compressors do you want.....scrolls or screws?
    Screw chillers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    we have number of york vsd(YCIV) chillers. after the 10 year operation, almost all compressors were overhauled. so there is a fact that the high RPM may shorten the life. i don't feel these chillers made significant energy saver by vfd compressor compare to fixd speed.

Post Likes
    I have a feeling the failures you experienced, were also due to the high ambient conditions in your area.

Wether they have a VFD, or are Wye/delta start, they are still gonna be spinning the same RPM.

The claimed savings with a speed drive is associated with being able to match the compressor capacity to the actual load. If the units are design to closely match the load, and you don’t have large variations, a speed drive isn’t going to save much. If you have wide load swings, you will save.

Post Likes

Wether they have a VFD, or are Wye/delta start, they are still gonna be spinning the same RPM.

Except that some OEMs "overspin" their compressors with the VFD.

I know you already know this.
    In honor of RichardL: "Ain't 'None' of us as smart as 'All' of us".

Post Likes
    I have a feeling the failures you experienced, were also due to the high ambient conditions in your area.

The claimed savings with a speed drive is associated with being able to match the compressor capacity to the actual load. If the units are design to closely match the load, and you don’t have large variations, a speed drive isn’t going to save much. If you have wide load swings, you will save.
    screw chiller slide valve will varies the load until 10% capacity. then where is the significant saving when using the vfd compressor

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by moideen View Post
    screw chiller slide valve will varies the load until 10% capacity. then where is the significant saving when using the vfd compressor
    10% capacity on a fixed speed compressor uses significantly more energy than a VFD compressor at 10% capacity.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Moideen, what are the run hours on your compressors ? 10 years doesn't seem too bad but what parts and why were they overhauled ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by raptyr View Post
    Moideen, what are the run hours on your compressors ? 10 years doesn't seem too bad but what parts and why were they overhauled ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by raptyr View Post
    In market commonly saying that york vfd compressors getting damage in lesser years. The reason behind saying that they are varying rpm high as 7000 rpm. I think for the chiller age will be more than 15 years. So for 10 year compresser getting damage what is the use behind using vfd chiller . Energy saving will indirectly effecting the life cycle .

Post Likes
    A large multitude of factors can damage a chiller long before an arbitrary date. Many of those items have nothing to do with whether the compressor is VFD driven or constant speed.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    So do you have soft stop enabled ?

Post Likes
    Today an authorized trane’s service person came to my office and introduced a new product for the screw chiller. A vfd package for trane RTAC screw chiller. RTAC already has slide valve mechanism. I asked, how a vfd operate with slide valve as reducing the load. Then he replied that their advanced processor will do that work. They showed some presentation, but failed to convince the theory behind the logic. truly, I feel a mere dogma to make money.

Post Likes
    soft starting of compressor
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in