+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argenta Hall Boiler explosion investigation results

Post Likes

Argenta Hall Boiler explosion investigation results

Seems like the technician/company owner made a few rookie mistakes and kaboom.

https://www.ktvn.com/story/41010620/...hall-explosion

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...ZMN2tOUFl1aHZR
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    That's an extremely vague report.

What caused the initial explosion?

Where were the auto gas shutdowns?

Usually there's 10, 20, 30 or more things that went wrong before something like that can happen...…...Most involving human error and or Stupidity!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    That's an extremely vague report.

What caused the initial explosion?

Where were the auto gas shutdowns?

Usually there's 10, 20, 30 or more things that went wrong before something like that can happen...…...Most involving human error and or Stupidity!
    The report is pretty standard, the first explosion was a fireside occurrence caused by delayed ignition, the explosion caused the 3" gas line to break away from the burner filling the building with natural gas which in turn was ignited by another source causing the big bang, also noted on the report the possibility of a problem with the pre-purge/post-purge/combustion blower.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    The report is pretty standard, the first explosion was a fireside occurrence caused by delayed ignition, the explosion caused the 3" gas line to break away from the burner filling the building with natural gas which in turn was ignited by another source causing the big bang, also noted on the report the possibility of a problem with the pre-purge/post-purge/combustion blower.
    The last facility I was at had

Oil fired boilers, LP ignition!
    If a local Fire alarm went off the LP solenoids closed. If a local flow alarm was activated Boilers shut down, oil pumps shut down, motorized oil valve closed.

I still don't see how a 3" NG line did not have a safety or Someone didn't know to shut the damn thing down!

I do realize different areas but these are simple safety's!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    The last facility I was at had

Oil fired boilers, LP ignition!
    If a local Fire alarm went off the LP solenoids closed. If a local flow alarm was activated Boilers shut down, oil pumps shut down, motorized oil valve closed.

I still don't see how a 3" NG line did not have a safety or Someone didn't know to shut the damn thing down!

I do realize different areas but these are simple safety's!
    The first explosion did not activate any alarms and when the burner broke away from the gas main the technician ran outside and shut the gas but by time he got to the main shutoff the building was flooded with natural gas, the report said that the technician manually activated the fire alarm, I cant see how any safety would had prevented the explosion.
    I recall a similar but not as bad incident where a maintenance guy used the bleed wires to wire the gas valves on a double block and bleed train, that was my first thought while reading through the report.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in