+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HEATPIPS in FAHU

Post Likes

HEATPIPS in FAHU

The FAHU that is around above 200-ton capacity with 4 number consist heat recovery and heat pipe. We face a problem that ahu room where no space to remove the giant heat pipe to service and the 6-row cooling coil which trapped inside the heat pipe. The ahu is working without service the cooling coil from last 10 year. Some people opined that eliminate the heat pipe, because already system has heat recovery. heat pipe only will slightly maintain RH and it is trivial. And will get more space to service the cooling coil. What are your comments. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Well i cant say i really understand your situation but i am certainly interested.
    What does the heat pipe do? Is it setup to help control humidity by bypassing sensible heat around the coil? If so than it seems from my research that you would be marginally increasing the system sensible capacity while decreasing the latent capacity if you remove it.
    I would start by asking my self if i can afford the reduction in latent capacity.
    Also will the increased sensible capacity cause short cycling or worsen it?
    Was it installed because of a specific need for it or was it just a salesman making more profit on unnecessary add-ons?

I have to say that you always have the most interesting questions.

Sent in a state of increasing entropy using Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    This is a combination of pre cool and reheat process by which change the saturated condition of air off temperature. RH will only be varied by this arrangement.

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Exactly just a different way of saying it. You're basically taking sensible heat and bypassing it around the coil. So that the coil can remove more moisture.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    I put the manufacture’s documented typical design value in psychrometric then I found only a very little arounf 0.91lb(w)/lb moisture content (absolute humidity) removed by the pre cool coil. but the RH maintains 60% after the reheat coil.

Post Likes
    We are in a very humid area that is also hot in the summer.
    I have seen "0" heat pipes here. Now my brother is in a cooler climate and puts them in regularly.
    IMHO they seem to be one step above snake oil... Not worth the (install) money or aggravation.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    We are in a very humid area that is also hot in the summer.
    I have seen "0" heat pipes here. Now my brother is in a cooler climate and puts them in regularly.
    IMHO they seem to be one step above snake oil... Not worth the (install) money or aggravation.
    I align with you, after the psychometric analysis, i thing there is not much benefit from heat pipe. really welcome if any different comments and more lights to the subjects

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Keep us posted.
    If you do remove it i would love to see before and after refrigerant saturation temps and dew points of supply and return air.

Post Likes
    Interested in this. Wouldn't the benefit be the energy saving from the easier cooling and moisture removal by the cooling coil? I see the "free" reheat temperature rise after the coil and think less natural gas or electric reheat.

You are transfering the energy you want around the cooling coil instead of making the cooling coil remove this energy, then adding energy after coil?

Post Likes
    It seems like a desuperheater type setup would be more efficient than the heat pipe anyway because it could help lower head pressure.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in