Post Likes

Return in walk-in closet

I have a condo with 3 bedrooms, etc and the master has a walk-in closet around 5'4" x 10'. There is the main return in the living room 20x20x1 and each bedroom has a return 14x14x1. The walk-in closet has what looks to be a return 12x12x1 but it does not return air. It blows air out and since the system is located in the attic only a few feet from that duct, any air coming out is very cold or very hot.

Does this sound right? Should it be blowing air into the closet?
    When the A/C is running it's not to bad, just very cold in the closet but in the winter when the heat runs, the air coming out is over 100 degrees F. With the closet door closed it gets so hot in the closet I've had to move things from the shelving. I normally have to leave the closet door open.

It has been like this since I've owned the condo for about 16 yrs now and a couple of years ago I had the Heat and Air replaced. I asked them about the closet and they really didn't have any answer on why it was blowing. They said they could close it off completely but I'm not sure on the cost of that. What would closing it off do to the system? Would it help push Hot or Cold air better to the other end of the condo?

During the summer I put a piece of 12x12 cardboard in the return and closed the closet door which worked great. Not too cold. I of course took it out before switching to heat because of how hot it gets and I'm leaving the door open.

Any comments, suggestions, etc would be great. If this is normal then what could I put in the vent to try and block it without getting to hot? (I of course don't want to cause any problems with my system either). I don't use dampers or anything like that.

Thanks

Post Likes
    If air comes out, it is a supply.

There should NOT be a return in the closet.

There could be a supply in the closet and sound like there is from your description.

If it is too hot or cold then it needs to be properly adjusted, in the supply trunk, to the size of the closet.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply pacnw.
    All the bedrooms have a 12"x8" supply but this small walk-in closet has a large 12"x12" supply that drops open in order to put a filter in it. It actually had a filter in it when I bought the place new. So it sounds like I need to have someone come out and adjust the supply trunk. Thanks for the information.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by seeme123 View Post
    Thanks for the reply pacnw.
    All the bedrooms have a 12"x8" supply but this small walk-in closet has a large 12"x12" supply that drops open in order to put a filter in it. It actually had a filter in it when I bought the place new. So it sounds like I need to have someone come out and adjust the supply trunk. Thanks for the information.
    Pictures?

If this has a filter, then it SHOULD be a return and the air SHOULD be sucked into it and NOT blowing out.
    With that said, I would NOT put a return in a closet, especially if it can be closed off. However, if this was a large enough closet and had a supply and return that is a different story.

Maybe this is incorrectly installed/connected.

Maybe they installed this filter grill by mistake.

Seems to me that an onsite visit by a professional is needed.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ