Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny1976 View Post
    I just disconnected the gauges and the oil its not green... It was hard to tell since I was wearing black gloves and low light. The oil did not have an acidic smell but more of a refrigerant smell.
    If the color of the oil is slightly black it still may be acidic, the darker the color of the oil ( blackish ) the more acidic a system is. Hopefully they find proof positive what your problem is, and it’s not terribly bad. Keep us posted.

Post Likes
    Thank you Bazooka Joey, martyinlincoln and pecmsg for replying and helping me out with my unit. I greatly appreciated you guys taking your valuable time to respond to my concerns and teaching me. God Bless you and prospers you.

Post Likes
    Thank you Bazooka Joey, martyinlincoln and pecmsg for replying and helping me out with my unit. I greatly appreciated you guys taking your valuable time to respond to my concerns and teaching me. God Bless you and prospers you.
    Here’s one kit for checking both acidic and moisture, doubt whoever you call will have one, but if your curious. Never used it myself, so I don’t know the accuracy.

https://www.refrigtech.com/checkmate/

Post Likes
    I think I might be late to the party but here's my suggestion.

If the techs get upset from asking what's wrong, just make sure you don't come off as pushy, when we are troubleshooting our mind is doing 100 MPH trying to think of different ways this problem could occur, why, where, etc. and doing different things all at once, when you ask a question, it arbruptly stops, we then think over your question and answer it. Then restart our original thought. Do that enough times and it gets annoying.

A safe thing I've learned to show people is just be able to prove it, if there is a leak, it's somewhere, either prove it by finding it or prove it by pressure drop, there is no "I think there's a leak because I do" or, "I think the TXV is bad because it's doing bla and bla." there's ways to prove it, so make sure they prove it.

As for the refrigerant, aluminum coils seem to leak more frequent than copper, they can be patched by good techs that can braze or some sort of epoxy compound works as well, someone here proved that.

In terms of acid, the refrigerant MAY be bad, but again, it can be tested with a Qwik test acid test, squirt some refrigerant into it from the schrader, if it turns a different color, it's acidic. Easy peasy.

In terms of 2 dryers, It's not a good thing to leave a dryer in, they are supposed to be replaced every time the system is open, some techs are more lenient than others but to leave the original in, I would never do. If I had replaced one a year ago and I was fresh out of driers and needed the system back up, I would blow nitro through the drier and do what I could to make sure it was fine and let it slide.

But leaving a factory one in for years and not removing it is just lazy. It's a bit of work to take it out and repipe the section it was in but I've done it many times and it's the right thing to do.

Lastly, make sure they put VIRGIN refrigerant in and don't reuse what you already have, that'll remove any doubt of acidic content, if you are really wanting to make sure, ask them to do an acid flush and make sure nothings in there and then verify it with an acid test, then you know for sure.

Now, are those your gauges you are posting pictures of or the technicians?

Post Likes
    I have my own set of gauges that I bought when I replaced my vehicle A/C system. I do have some basic knowledge of how refrigeration systems work. I know how annoying it gets when people are asking too many questions. I try not to ask too many.... I even use to leave and let the tech do the work and and not be around to distract them from their work. But after so many dishonest people, not just in the A/C profession but other (Don't want to single anyone profession out like mechanics).... I have had to start watching and making sure that they are putting the amount they say they put of refrigerant, that later they are not telling that they did a whole bunch of stuff and did not. I tend not to ask too much, but mostly watch.

Post Likes
    I have my own set of gauges that I bought when I replaced my vehicle A/C system. I do have some basic knowledge of how refrigeration systems work. I know how annoying it gets when people are asking too many questions. I try not to ask too many.... I even use to leave and let the tech do the work and and not be around to distract them from their work. But after so many dishonest people, not just in the A/C profession but other (Don't want to single anyone profession out like mechanics).... I have had to start watching and making sure that they are putting the amount they say they put of refrigerant, that later they are not telling that they did a whole bunch of stuff and did not. I tend not to ask too much, but mostly watch.
    Unless you licensed by the EPA hooking up those gauges is illegal!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Unless you licensed by the EPA hooking up those gauges is illegal!
    The act of hooking up gauges is not illegal and you don't need a license to use gauges. How are you not banned from this forum? Please don't reply here if you are not going to help. The act of you posting here should be illegal. Get a life. Look at your post history.... All you do is post rude comments and Don't help anyone... You give New York a bad reputation and I know there are good people in NY, but you are not one of them. You have 24,306 post of pure garbage. The moderator of this forum needs to do some cleaning and ban you.

Post Likes
    The act of hooking up gauges is not illegal and you don't need a license to use gauges. How are you not banned from this forum? Please don't reply here if you are not going to help. The act of you posting here should be illegal. Get a life. Look at your post history.... All you do is post rude comments and Don't help anyone... You give New York a bad reputation and I know there are good people in NY, but you are not one of them. You have 24,306 post of pure garbage. The moderator of this forum needs to do some cleaning and ban you.
    Try Again

EPA regulations (40 CFR Part 82, Subpart F) under Section 608 of the Clean Air Act define a "technician" as an individual who performs any of the following activities:
    Attaching and detaching hoses and gauges to and from an appliance to measure pressure within the appliance.

https://www.epa.gov/section608/secti...ertification-0

Post Likes
    Try Again

EPA regulations (40 CFR Part 82, Subpart F) under Section 608 of the Clean Air Act define a "technician" as an individual who performs any of the following activities:
    Attaching and detaching hoses and gauges to and from an appliance to measure pressure within the appliance.

You really don't know how to read. Those are the description of the activities a technician performed.... Please point me to where it says: only a technician can use gauges and that its illegal for anyone else to use it. Nowhere it says its illegal. That's just a description of a technician activities.

Keep it up. Looking better the more you post. Not going to reply to your post, since its just adding more garbage to this forum.

Post Likes
    You really don't know how to read. Those are the description of the activities a technician performes.... Please point me to where it says: only a technician can use gauges and that its illegal for anyone else to use it. No where it says its illegal. That's just a description of a technician activities.

Keep it up. Looking better the more you post.
    Unfortunately there are no FREON police so do whatever you want.

You hooking up gauges is worthless, you have no clue what your reading. Now you come here wanting answers to questions with virtually NO other information so you can tell the tech on site what to do?
    I told you in Post #2
    Pressures without corresponding temperatures are worthless!

You need a qualified tech to troubleshoot and find the leak(s). You hovering over them will not do any good!

Post Likes
    Try Again

You really don't know how to read. Those are the description of the activities a technician performed.... Please point me to where it says: only a technician can use gauges and that its illegal for anyone else to use it.

Post Likes
    What you do on your own time with your own tools on your own property is up to you, as far as I'm concerned you have to be licensed in order to hook up gauges, but that's not why I'm here.

Don't get all upset about PEC, he's a good guy and is in fact very helpful when he wants to be but you also need to understand the amount of people that come here asking for DIY advice and trying to do things with very limited understanding pretending or assuming it's easy when what they are suggesting could be dangerous not only for themselves but potentially damage or destroy their own system.

You are not asking for DIY advice so you are good on there, but please, be respectful to the guys here and they will do the same to you, most of the time.

Back to the issue at hand.

Got it on how you operate, I was just suggesting why they might be getting upset, do what you feel is right in that regard, it's your money so I'd say you have something to say.

So here's the thing, if your coil if freezing up inside, it means the pressure of the refrigerant is significantly reduced in the evaporator, that could be from a restriction (like a 10 year old drier) or it could be a TXV or metering device problem.

It could also be a dying compressor but there's ways to prove each one.

Perhaps I don't really understand your question, what is it exactly you want to know?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivero View Post
    What you do on your own time with your own tools on your own property is up to you, as far as I'm concerned you have to be licensed in order to hook up gauges, but that's not why I'm here.

Don't get all upset about PEC, he's a good guy and is in fact very helpful when he wants to be but you also need to understand the amount of people that come here asking for DIY advice and trying to do things with very limited understanding pretending or assuming it's easy when what they are suggesting could be dangerous not only for themselves but potentially damage or destroy their own system.

You are not asking for DIY advice so you are good on there, but please, be respectful to the guys here and they will do the same to you, most of the time.

Back to the issue at hand.

Got it on how you operate, I was just suggesting why they might be getting upset, do what you feel is right in that regard, it's your money so I'd say you have something to say.

So here's the thing, if your coil if freezing up inside, it means the pressure of the refrigerant is significantly reduced in the evaporator, that could be from a restriction (like a 10 year old drier) or it could be a TXV or metering device problem.

It could also be a dying compressor but there's ways to prove each one.

Perhaps I don't really understand your question, what is it exactly you want to know?
    Olivero, I agree with you and I am just trying to get some understanding on my A/C problem. I have gotten good information from you and everyone here. I don't know if pecmsg is having a bad day, but since his first response to my post he was rude and unhelpful. His reply in summary of your information is usless get a tech was not helpful and not even asking for the useful information. Then his following replies were less helpful also and then claiming that a definition of a a technician activities somehow implies exclusivity of the use of gauges... Doesn't make sense. Walmart sell gauges and the Freon to put in your car. Walmart does not sell the gauges and Freon to license tech, and the gauges are actually promoted at any auto part as a DIY. What is illegal is releasing refrigerant and handling it without being license.

Its common sense that using gauges is not illegal, but the handling of refrigerant is. I am a nice person, but pecmsg in this case was being unhelpful. Don't take my word for it... Check his post history of his 24,000 post and see the wording he uses and how well he helps. I don't want to waste any more forum storage on this. Olivero, thank you for your replies and I am was trying to get knowledge here and pecmsg turned it into something else. My opinion.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast