Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Could it be freezing up because of a clogged dryer? Maybe the dryer is leaking? I am going to check if there is oil around the dryer.

Post Likes
    Doubt drier is leaking ( the one they changed unless it’s a inferior braze job, or if it was soft solder maybe they overdid the solder and some got inside the tubing, closing it up a little ) how many times was system actually open vs being pumped down? If even open once factory drier should be changed and you still have the original factory drier? If there is a leak at the indoor coil, start out with electronic, then fine tune it with soap, have them take a picture to show you proof positive, then have them remove that original drier.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Doubt drier is leaking ( the one they changed unless it’s a inferior braze job.) Three times system was open, and you still have the original factory drier? If there is a leak at the indoor coil, start out with electronic, then fine tune it with soap, have them take a picture to show you proof positive, then have them remove that original drier.
    I checked the outside dryer and there is no oil leaking from it. The person that put the outside dryer did not want to remove the one inside because it was too much trouble. He said adding a second one outside would be was better and would catch whatever the factory dryer missed. You are right... Three times the unit was opened and only once a dryer was added to the outside. The two tech that replaced the coils never replaced the dryer and I don't even want to say how much it cost, because it is not allowed here. With the cost of the labor for the two coils, I could have bought a new air handler.

Some of them get upset, because I question what they are doing.... One spent 2 days diagnosing the unit, which I had searched the diagnosis before and it pointed out to be a bad dryer and then he came to the same conclusion I did.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny1976 View Post
    I cant say for sure. While disconnecting the A/C gauges some refrigerant came out from the suction line and its had like green color. Not sure if that's just the oil.
    Green oil is either dye or it's full of moisture and acid. Did it stink?

Post Likes
    If it was a bad drier, then they should have removed the original and installed a new bi flow by the Air Handler ( away from the elements ) don’t know what else to tell you, possible someone can check if there is any temperature drop across original drier, to see if it’s partially restricted.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Green oil is either dye or it's full of moisture and acid. Did it stink?
    I think you are right. I don't remember the smell and didn't see any of the techs put dye to find the leaks. I think is full of moisture and acid and that acid probably caused the leak.

Post Likes
    If it was a bad drier, then they should have removed the original and installed a new bi flow by the Air Handler ( away from the elements ) don’t know what else to tell you, possible someone can check if there is any temperature drop across original drier, to see if it’s partially restricted.
    I can see if I can check the temperature on the copper lines before and after the original factory dryer. I have to see if I can locate it inside the unit.

Post Likes
    https://www.qwik.com/products/qwik-check

Have them check for acid in system, as the bigger problem is the compressor oil will breakdown and cause a burnout, and compressor failure. Moisture will plug driers and effect metering devices also.

Post Likes
    What do you think about martyinlincoln observation of the refrigerant oil being full of moisture and acid? Could that eat throught the aluminum coils and cause a leak. What smell would it have if its acidic... Like battery acid smell?

Post Likes
    What do you think about martyinlincoln observation of the refrigerant oil being full of moisture and acid? Could that eat throught the aluminum coils and cause a leak. What smell would it have if its acidic... Like battery acid smell?
    Post 21 address acid, there are other brands, yes it has a acidic smell, but has different levels of smell, if it a very strong acidic smell to me anyway compressor damage is likely.

Post Likes
    https://www.qwik.com/products/qwik-check

Have them check for acid in system, as the bigger problem is the compressor oil will breakdown and cause a burnout, and compressor failure. Moisture will plug driers and effect metering devices also.
    Someone is coming out tomorrow. I will have him check for acid and find the leak. Hopefully the leak can be patched. Should I ask him to remove both the factory and the outside dryers and put a new. I could have him test the factory dryer temperatures, but whats the point if its 10 years old.... might as well get rid of it. I don't know about the outside one.

Post Likes
    Someone is coming out tomorrow. I will have him check for acid and find the leak. Hopefully the leak can be patched. Should I ask him to remove both the factory and the outside dryers and put a new. I could have him test the factory dryer temperatures, but whats the point if its 10 years old.... might as well get rid of it. I don't know about the outside one.
    Yes remove both driers, then install a new bi flow wherever the field one was installed. Hopefully they can find your leak, and not just by a electronic, but actually pin pointing it after the electronic picks it up with soap and have him take a picture to prove they found it. Your existing refrigerant could...... be compromised also, acidic, moisture, non condensible.

If that green stuff is not a dye then maybe it’s something else? Find your old invoices to see if they added the dye.

https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread...uff-in-lineset

Post Likes
    Yes remove both driers, then install a new bi flow wherever the field one was installed. Hopefully they can find your leak, and not just by a electronic, but actually pin pointing it after the electronic picks it up with soap and have him take a picture to prove they found it. Your existing refrigerant could...... be compromised also, acidic, moisture, non condensible.

If that green stuff is not a dye then maybe it’s something else? Find your old invoices to see if they added the dye.

https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread...uff-in-lineset
    I just disconnected the gauges and the oil its not green... It was hard to tell since I was wearing black gloves and low light. The oil did not have an acidic smell but more of a refrigerant smell.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast