Post Likes

Garland Convection Oven

We recently installed a used Garland MCO-GD-10S Convection Oven into a location and it has been mentioned to us by one of the cooks that it periodically "makes a rapid clicking noise". We are trying to pin down exact conditions when it occurs and we have not heard the noise ourselves. We did get a complaint, again by one of the cooks, that it doesn't seem to hold temperature; but when we look at the oven it seems to be working fine.

Until we can replicate the sound, or the temperature problem, we are kind of at a loss. We initially chalked the temp complaint up to maybe they aren't closing the doors completely, or some other end user error in operation. The night cook DID in fact give us the clicking noise description, and said he would try to pin it down further. Usually we get the generic "it's not working right" line....He asked if maybe it was some sort of high temp shut down, since it is used mostly for finishing chicken wings.

The "rapid clicking noise" makes me think maybe some sort of relay. Wondering if anyone else has ideas?

Post Likes
    So what I like to do to try and find an intermittent problem when a unit is running fine is create issues and see if the customer recognizes the failure when it happens.

So in your case I might shut the gas off while it is heating and have the customer listen to the spark module try and light the pilot. Maybe that clicking noise is just the spark assy trying to light.

You can ask them if the amber light is on or off when they hear the clicking or dropping temp. That light indicates a call heat. If the temp is dropping and the light isn’t on then I’d look at the temp control.

A door switch or centrifugal switch that isn’t closing all the can cause low enough voltage to make a relay/gas valve chatter.

By the way, which control does it have? Does the face plate have knobs and rocker switches of a keypad?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    So what I like to do to try and find an intermittent problem when a unit is running fine is create issues and see if the customer recognizes the failure when it happens.

So in your case I might shut the gas off while it is heating and have the customer listen to the spark module try and light the pilot. Maybe that clicking noise is just the spark assy trying to light.

You can ask them if the amber light is on or off when they hear the clicking or dropping temp. That light indicates a call heat. If the temp is dropping and the light isn’t on then I’d look at the temp control.

A door switch or centrifugal switch that isn’t closing all the can cause low enough voltage to make a relay/gas valve chatter.

By the way, which control does it have? Does the face plate have knobs and rocker switches of a keypad?

The unit has analog controls, dials and rockers.

I will ask about the light the next time I am in......luckily it is literally about 1/2 mile from the house so dropping in is easy to do.

I will also have my tech check the door switch and see. Like I said, this could simply be guys getting used to a new piece of equipment. Not getting calls from manager just comment from the cooks when we happen to be there doing something else......go figure

Post Likes
    I find the chefs normally have a pretty good idea if something is wrong, at least where I work.

As for the sound, It could be the spark module as mentioned above, otherwise I've had issues with the rocker switches going partially bad and they'll go from open to closed without anyone touching it.

Could be a rocker, they should feel fairly smooth when switched, shouldn't be much of a "dry" spot or sticky spot where it lingers when it shouldn't. Sometimes just trying to move the switch left and right rather than up and down can reveal it as well.

There's not much to click, if it's a on/off switch the lights will flicker or they should hear the fan power on and off. If it's a speed switch from low to high, again, they should be able to hear the fan pitch change.

Otherwise it should reveal itself with the "No flame" light. flickering or something.

Post Likes
    Ok....we have an update, but not a fix yet. The place that sold us the oven gave us a new igniter and we installed it, but no joy on a fix. Oven operates normally but won't hold temp. I haven't had a chance to probe the temp when it occurs yet. The one time it occurred while I was there, I could only use my hands to feel how hot it was. It DEFINITELY wasn't up to the 450 it was set to. My buddy was on another call and had the temp probe with him. I'm wondering if it might be a bad temperature probe? Any thoughts?

Post Likes
    Could definetley be, I've had them go bad on Vulcan convection units before, same problem where it wasn't as hot as it should be.

Post Likes
    The clicking noise could be the blower wheel hitting against the cabinet or the fan cover assembly, or something got sucked into the blower wheel. The most common issue I have with my Garland ovens not heating properly is the flame sensors needing cleaning. I use 0000 steel wool to clean them. The door switches can be temperamental, too.
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.