Post Likes

Unhappy American Standard SX81 Continuous Fan Tap speed setting

Hi, I am a homeowner and I just had my two systems replaced with American Standard Silver Series equipment. I am pretty happy with everything except* for the "CFP" setting, which forces the fan to run very slowly when it's not heating or cooling (CF_1 is the only available setting).

I talked with the installers about it and I think they would try to resolve the problem for me if they could, but they don't know how - they said another customer had complained about the same thing a few months ago and they ran into a brick wall with American Standard trying to solve it. I am hoping someone on here knows of a firmware update or a cheap alternative control board that would work in my situation, so I can bring a specific solution to the HVAC company that works for all of us and is relatively easy.

My furnace model number is: S8X1C080M5PSAAA

Thanks so much for any help of advice you can offer

*The reason I am not happy with it is because whenever my house feels stuffy, I used to be able to turn on either of the fans for 10 or 20 minutes and very quickly cycle all the air and make it feel better. In the new 10% limit mode, I can barely tell the air is moving - it feels like a stuffy hotel room that I can't fix. It's very frustrating that the fan is locked in this way for no reason other than the firmware programmer didn't feel like making a few more options in the CFP menu

Post Likes
    I have a solution. My email is in my profile. Have your installer email me from his company email and I'll let him know one way of handling it.

The new FER regulations on electric use by the furnace has caused this, making furnace mfrs set an extremely low fan speed for example.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I have a solution. My email is in my profile. Have your installer email me from his company email and I'll let him know one way of handling it.

The new FER regulations on electric use by the furnace has caused this, making furnace mfrs set an extremely low fan speed for example.
    Thanks, I will let them know to contact you. I really appreciate the help!

Can you give me any detail about the fix? I am wondering if it "unlocks" the settings menu for me, or if it's basically an override that allows the installer to set a new single fan speed.

I am asking to determine whether I need to know in advance if I want it set to like 5 or 7 or 9 forever, or if I'll be able to play around with the settings a bit to find a good level afterwards.

Edit to add: the company is Nevada Residential Services, the owner is named Tim and he works with Chris and Robert. It might be Chris that ends up contacting you, he was the one I talked about it for awhile with.

Post Likes
    It involves wiring, not the setup menu.

Post Likes
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    It involves wiring, not the setup menu.
    Robert said he emailed you yesterday, hopefully you are able to help them understand. I see from the other thread that the wiring change basically ends up with the continuous fan speed working at whatever the cooling fan speed setting is - that would be absolutely PERFECT and I would be thrilled with that outcome.

Anyone able to make this change live in Las Vegas by any chance, in case my guys can't figure this out? A few more days of this stuffy air and I'll be happy to pay airfare and hotel too heh

Post Likes
    Found his email, missed it yesterday, and replied. Take him under a minute and you'll have cooling speed for constant fan.

Post Likes
    Found his email, missed it yesterday, and replied. Take him under a minute and you'll have cooling speed for constant fan.
    Just wanted to follow up and say thanks so much, my guy was able to make the change and even I can tell that it's a perfectly safe way to do it and I am incredibly happy with the outcome. I feel like I can breathe again! I had no idea how much I was taking my HVAC fan mode for granted until now heh

So, thank you very much - you have made me, my wife, and I bet a bunch of other customers of my HVAC team very happy.

Post Likes
    Is it really not in the installation manual? I don't install Trane products so I'm not familiar with this issue. It seems like it should be in there.

Post Likes
    Glad it worked out Droo!

Since this is messing with the FER ratings, they probably have to keep it quiet. Just a guess.

Post Likes
    Glad it worked out Droo!

Since this is messing with the FER ratings, they probably have to keep it quiet. Just a guess.
    Maybe we can start a thread behind closed doors about this. York has something similar that needs to be done on some of their units.