Post Likes

52 pounds of refrigerant - LOST

I'm the facilitates manager of a property in Chicago. We have a large space heated/cooled by a 48 ton system, (3 twinned 16 ton Y-series, Hyperheat Mitsubishi heat pumps).

Last week 8 of the inside blower units were blowing cold air. Called our local service provider (who happens to be the company that installed the system.) Tech came out and contacted Mitsubishi. System was put on Maintenance Tool, and a Mitsubishi tier 2 (or tier 3?) tech determined loss of refrigerant.

Now, this system is only 3 years old. No issues prior to last week. The tech and I both noticed this on the heat pump in question (see pics attached). Each heat pump has a pressure relief valve. Around the pressure relief valve of the heat pump in question, there are oily deposits. You can even see oil on the aluminum support frame. The other two twinned units are dry.

We don't know for sure at this stage HOW the refrigerant was lost, but if I had to bet money, I think this is the culprit. Tech will be back next week to start some leak testing, and I suspect will find it here.

What is everyone's thoughts? Do these valves typically fail? Can the valve be cut out and we have it tested somewhere?

I've already called Mitsubishi about it, and the reps said, "this is not a Mitsubishi part. This is a third party part added by the installer."

My guess is Mitsubishi will not be covering any of the work/cost since it was not a Mitsubishi part that failed. HOWEVER, I do hope we find out if the system had an over pressure incident that it caused this relief valve to open. Perhaps some other part in the system failed (thermistor? Pressure sensor?) Presumably, if the pressure reaches dangerous levels, the system would shut itself down.

I'm not sure what these valves are rated at, but I found similar ones that are rated at 700 pounds.

Other question, are these pressure relief valves required in Chicago? That's where I'm located.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Does have oil staining on the piping end and under it. Get the electronic sniffer out.
    UA Local 32

Post Likes
    Put a rubber, disposable style glove around it and tape tightly. If there is a leak the glove will inflate. Condoms also work, but the aesthetics are questionable according to some.

Post Likes
    Do components fail....Yes
    Blame Mitisubishi NO

Something else happened.

Do you have a start up and commissioning report?

Post Likes
    Looks field installed and not Mitsubishi to me....apparently Chicago has some stringent regs..

I am sure someone who works in the area will see this thread...

@2sac

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I was informed by a reliable source that in Chicago, any equipment with over 5lbs of refrigerant requires a pressure relief.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The mechanical code requires pressure relief's piped to the outside of the building. What's the rating on those?

Post Likes
    What makes you think that's the culprit?

Because it's visible?

Post Likes
    Well if you look at the first pic you will see oil stain on the end of the copper, on the end of support leg and on the ground all in the vicinity of the discharge pipe. That is where i would start and take off the flare nut and inspect for oil, should be dry.
    UA Local 32

Post Likes
    Sorry for the silence, long story short, the pressure relief valve was either faulty or tripped due to a high pressure incident.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gpier View Post
    Sorry for the silence, long story short, the pressure relief valve was either faulty or tripped due to a high pressure incident.

Was that there explanation? I would want to know what one! If its faulty a simple pressure test will determine, if it did its job they had better find out why.