Thread: 30hxc

Post Likes

30hxc

Hello fellow mechanics. Im new to the site. Have been in the business for roughly 18 yrs. mostly commercial and industrial. I came across a 30hxc that was leaking between the motor casing and bearing housing. Have been told to replace the whole compressor.? Has anyone had this issue or have had one apart? Any info would be appreciated

Post Likes
    You can get parts and replace that oring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The oring gets hot and brittle
    It's fairly easy ,pull back the motor about an inch and take the old one out and slide new one over ,use plenty of oring grease,it tight to slide over but can be done

Post Likes
    As mentioned previously the O ring can be replaced by sliding the motor casing back. Of course it begs the question what the condition of the other O rings on the compressor might be. But from experience it normally just needs the motor casing O ring replaced.

Gibbo

Post Likes
    As previous mentioned u can replace the oring by moving motor back,as gibbo mentioned the oring condituon maybe still good just needing new oring lube applied.
    U want to be extra careful not to move motor to far back otherwise u run the risk of pulling stator wiring from underside of motor terminal off.
    Seen this happen hence the gears will then require removal to get to underside of motor terminals for necessary repairs.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Like the other guys said, it can be done. I might add, I typically use guide bolts when sliding apart screw compressors. Make sure you clean the mating surfaces and Oring grooves. Trane recommends high temp Locktite 515 on there bearing/rotor orings so I typically use that on carrier also.

Post Likes
    Ive never had to use 515 on a carrier high pressure chiller. For the most part carrier doesn't have oring leaks like york and trane tend to. If the oring groove and the oring is designed properly you shouldn't have to use 515. Carrier sells Parker o-lube but I do not recommend it. I prefer dow corning 111. Now its called Molykote 111. Me and a lot of my fellow carrier guys use this on all orings when preforming tear downs or making repairs.