+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 30hxc

Post Likes

30hxc

Hello fellow mechanics. I’m new to the site. Have been in the business for roughly 18 yrs. mostly commercial and industrial. I came across a 30hxc that was leaking between the motor casing and bearing housing. Have been told to replace the whole compressor.? Has anyone had this issue or have had one apart? Any info would be appreciated

Post Likes
    You can get parts and replace that oring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The oring gets hot and brittle
    It's fairly easy ,pull back the motor about an inch and take the old one out and slide new one over ,use plenty of oring grease,it tight to slide over but can be done

Post Likes
    As mentioned previously the O ring can be replaced by sliding the motor casing back. Of course it begs the question what the condition of the other O rings on the compressor might be. But from experience it normally just needs the motor casing O ring replaced.

Gibbo

Post Likes
    As previous mentioned u can replace the oring by moving motor back,as gibbo mentioned the oring condituon maybe still good just needing new oring lube applied.
    U want to be extra careful not to move motor to far back otherwise u run the risk of pulling stator wiring from underside of motor terminal off.
    Seen this happen hence the gears will then require removal to get to underside of motor terminals for necessary repairs.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Like the other guys said, it can be done. I might add, I typically use guide bolts when sliding apart screw compressors. Make sure you clean the mating surfaces and Oring grooves. Trane recommends high temp Locktite 515 on there bearing/rotor orings so I typically use that on carrier also.

Post Likes
    Ive never had to use 515 on a carrier high pressure chiller. For the most part carrier doesn't have oring leaks like york and trane tend to. If the oring groove and the oring is designed properly you shouldn't have to use 515. Carrier sells Parker o-lube but I do not recommend it. I prefer dow corning 111. Now its called Molykote 111. Me and a lot of my fellow carrier guys use this on all orings when preforming tear downs or making repairs.

Post Likes
    I have two 06N compressors coming up soon for orings to be replaced. Ill try the Molykote 111 since Carrier techs are recommending it. Trane does tend to have oring leaks a little more often than others, maybe thats why they want the 515 there, for additional protection.

Post Likes
    If you have something that leaks regularly put 515 on it. I’ve never had a leak if I used 515. It’s good stuff. But In my opinion most times it’s not needed. If you were doing a trane overhaul I would recommend 515 because the OEM recommends it and they tend to leak. But carrier doesn’t recommend 515 and our o-ring surfaces don’t leak.

Good luck using the mollykote. I think you’ll like it. It’s easier to use and easier to clean up. it’s 1000% times easier to take the parts back apart if needed and 10000% times easier to clean up those parts then if you had used 515

Post Likes
    just curious why wont you use the parker o-ring lube that carrier provides? I use it all of the time and so far (fingers crossed) no issues or problems but interested in your experience

Post Likes
    We used to use it years ago. Never had a problem as far as oring leaks. One issue we did see is sometimes the Parker lube would seep it’s way out between the flanges and look like a leak even though there wasn’t a refrigerant leak. Customers would question it.

When we would apply the Parker o-lube it was harder to get out of our hands than the Dow Corning. Eventually we started wearing dr gloves when applying to a oring.

Sometimes when we had a larger diameter oring that kept falling out we would apply extra grease to the oring to help it stay in the groove. We found that the Dow Corning did a better job of holding the oring in place.

Overall we felt the Dow Corning 111 now called molykote 111 was a much better product. But that’s just our opinion

Post Likes
    Meant harder to get off our hands.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in