Post Likes

Work in the Rain

Luckily this doesn’t happen to often, but today it’s raining and I need to replace a headmaster on the roof.
    Just curious as to what precautions you guys take to ensure rain doesn’t enter system when open while changing headmasters, compressor or other components where you need to open the system to atmosphere.
    We have put up ice fishing tents before, to protect from the elements, but that isn’t always practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I avoid it as much as possible

3. Likes ritchy.wall liked this post
    Post Likes
    I had a big picnic umbrella and I had a popup tent also for awhile. Usually when it rains it isn't pouring all day and I would time aspects of a job like that accordingly. If it takes longer on a day like that then so be it. Taking care of your tools on a day like this is important too.

I had a job in CA a while back and when it rained they said no rooftops on those days. It probably only rained a dozen days or so a year. That was an oddity for our industry of course.

Option #2 is to tell the client that you will take all the precautions possible and plant the seed for them to call the office and reschedule the job.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Where I work now, they would not replace tools if they got damaged or worn out, I said great! That means I never have to work in the rain. If it is not worth it to you to replace damaged tools, then it certainly is not worth it to me.

Sadly, they did instigate a tool replacement program just this year.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    clip the tail off the head master .... add fan cycle

then come back a sun shiny day

Post Likes
    We usually don’t open systems in such conditions unless it’s an emergency.
    That said I do carry a big beach umbrella and rain gear.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    I have worked under a tarp draped over me and the unit in a pinch.

Post Likes
    We also use those 10x10 pop up tents when it isn't windy. They are also great for those hot sunny days to provide some shade when you are on that restaurant roof.

Post Likes
    If you get your own tent or umbrella keep it to yourself or you may find yourself getting all the jobs like this,
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

11. Likes BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    If you get your own tent or umbrella keep it to yourself or you may find yourself getting all the jobs like this,
    That’s an excellent point.

Trying to avoid the situation all together is probably the way to go and reschedule job; however that is not always possibly especially like in my case, lots of food would go to waste.

Love to the idea of installing a fan cycle control, especially as a short term solution, little afraid of thermal shocking the condenser and causing leaks.

Thanks for all the input; I just wanted to make sure I’m not missing any tricks out of the books of veterans in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have found ways to tie them off to units if it is windy....
    Quote Originally Posted by paklein View Post
    We also use those 10x10 pop up tents when it isn't windy. They are also great for those hot sunny days to provide some shade when you are on that restaurant roof.
    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    https://www.trutechtools.com/Supco-M...RoCv70QAvD_BwE

Also have a 10 by 10 pop up.

Take note, both work exceptionally well as portable shade for multi-hour or day jobs when its hot.