Post Likes

Brand new heatpump is ringing a steady 820Hz frequency

Hello fellow professionals, my brand new heatpump is ringing a steady 820Hz frequency and it drives me and my family crazy. I hope someone here can help me.

I can't post link, but you can hear a 820 Hz frequency by doing a Google search of "Online tone generator"

The new Coleman heatpump/air handler was installed 3 months ago by a professional. There is no issues whatsoever when the unit is cooling. The ringing happens only when the unit is heating.

The ringing starts after approximately 5 minutes of run time and is heard from the inside of the house, not the outside. The closer you get to the heatpump, louder is the ringing. It will keep ringing until the unit shuts off. It has nothing to do with air pressure or any air flow restriction. The ringing immediately stops when the unit shuts off. When the unit goes from heat to defrost mode, the ringing stops. The unit is seated on EVA anti-vibration pads and the refrigerant lines have been checked end-to-end for anything that can cause vibration. Holding, moving or shaking the lines does not change the amplitude and frequency of the ringing.

I called the installer, he removed the air filter and opened all traps probably thinking it was an air flow issue, but the ringing persisted. He checked the gas pressure and reported it was OK. He checked the lines for vibration, without success. He was baffled and couldn't explain this.

Did you ever faced this problem, and if so what was the cause?

Many thanks!

Post Likes
    Inverter type odu?
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Hi buford, I just noticed I forgot to mention the unit model: Coleman TH4B3021SA with the air handler: York AE30BX21D

Post Likes
    The reason i asked is i just put in a model CH16b24 that the inverter driven comp has a ringing sound when it gets up to full speed. I just have not checked out what it is yet
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    If it is an inverter I would say it’s probably a normal sound. Most manufacturers allow the compressor to over speed at lower temperatures to allow full capacity at lower temperatures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Sounds like something to do with the reversing valve. Some sort of resonant frequency generated when in heating mode and up to operating pressure in OD coil.

Post Likes
    Seems like your tech could use a mechanics stethoscope to pin-point the noise

Post Likes
    Solved! Thank you @Makeitcold, with the help of a mechanics stethoscope, I was able to identify exactly where the high frequency vibration was originating. It was coming from the smaller tube that connects the top of compressor to the top of the reversing valve. Squeezing it with an anti-vibration pad immediately cut the annoying frequency. Pretty impressive this little tool!

Post Likes
    I'd call a technician in to take a look, a vibration in the discharge line that's transmitting all the way inside could indicate a problem with the compressor or reversing valve. If its vibrating enough to see movement it will eventually crack the refrigerant line. Could be other things as well, but what your hearing is likely the symptom, not the problem