Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Ok help me understand. How is the board communicating with the valve if there is voltage present basically all the time? How can we test this communication? It's obviously not simply voltage present or not. What exactly is this "Signal"?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbeck21 View Post
    Ok help me understand. How is the board communicating with the valve if there is voltage present basically all the time? How can we test this communication? It's obviously not simply voltage present or not. What exactly is this "Signal"?
    You are beating a dead horse here.

Honeywell Tech Support truly doesn't know how this "DATA" line is to be tested. I have talked to them before on this.

There is nothing out there for technicians to use in the field that I am aware of.

I have been told by Honeywell, that if you suspect a valve problem, jump the "R" and "DATA" terminals and see if the valve stays open.

The reason this works is because some applications that do not have the ST9160 control board, are wired directly from the “W” terminal on the thermostat to the “Data” terminal on the SmartValve.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    You are beating a dead horse here.

Honeywell Tech Support truly doesn't know how this "DATA" line is to be tested. I have talked to them before on this.

There is nothing out there for technicians to use in the field that I am aware of.

I have been told by Honeywell, that if you suspect a valve problem, jump the "R" and "DATA" terminals and see if the valve stays open.

The reason this works is because some applications that do not have the ST9160 control board, are wired directly from the “W” terminal on the thermostat to the “Data” terminal on the SmartValve.

Thanks for your enlightenment my friend... Its scary when the manufacture can't even tell you how it works or how to test it...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    I want you to google “N8MPN Service Manual 2004 pdf”. When the search results come up, select on “MULTI POSITION SINGLE STAGE 2--STAGE GAS FURNACES”.

Once you download the manual, go to page 25 to see the voltages for each of the Smart Valve pins.

These SmartValves are almost always the issue when you have problems with these systems.

There is your "General Guidance" on this issue.
    " I want you to google “N8MPN Service Manual 2004 pdf”
    Thanks, Rundawg.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdang View Post
    " I want you to google “N8MPN Service Manual 2004 pdf”
    Thanks, Rundawg.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12