Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Pre$$ure $witch replacement -- Lennox ML195UH furnace - price

Hi there.

Six year-old Lennox ML195UH furnace. Intermittent no heat condition. LED flashing 3X and/or 6X -- pointed to pressure switch. I called the local HVAC shop down the street.

[Northern Colorado]

I was told in advance that there would be a $ "Dispatch Charge." I was told that it included "the first 10-15 minutes of diagnostics." This is about how long it took the tech to check the pressure switch with the manometer.

Once the diagnosis was made (faulty pressure switch) -- I was given and accepted an estimate of what the repair would cost. The tech had to drive (about 1/4 mile) back to the office to grab the part. It took him 3-5 minutes to swap it out.

Allowing $ for the part (fair ?), this translates into an hourly labor rate of between $.

I wondered if I'm looking at this the right way, and what others thought about this price ?

Here's the text from the receipt:

SERVICES PROVIDED
    Non ESA Residential Demand S
    Qty: 1 PICK UP PARTS
    Qty: 1 LENNOX PRESSURE SWITCH
    Qty: 1 DISPATCH & TRUCK CHARGE

Thanks so much for any thoughts.
    Last edited by Dad; 11-07-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Post Likes
    Ill be the first to let you know your about to start a flame war.

Second, prices are not allowed to be shared because every company and every region of the US has different rates.

Third, that guys schooling cost about 12 grand.
    4. his van cost about 30 grand
    5 his tool bag he brought into your house with all the tools in it cost about 1200
    6 because he is smart and able to diagnose what was wrong with the furnace in 15 minutes, you now want to penalize him? Had it taken 1 hour to find the problem and you were charged the same would you feel better?
    7 the lady that took your call has to be paid somehow
    8 the lady the balances the books and writes the bills and checks has to be paid.
    9 workers comp is not cheap
    10 liability insurance is not cheap
    health insurance is not cheap
    conributing to your employees 401k is not cheap

When you go do Mcdonalds, or wherever you eat out, do you complain that you pay $1 for a coke? it cost them $.03 to fill and serve you that coke.
    What does your company you work for charge for its product/service?

This is the nice version, there will be a few that come along in a few minutes that are not as nice.

3. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Ill be the first to let you know your about to start a flame war.
    This is the nice version, there will be a few that come along in a few minutes that are not as nice.
    I appreciate your comments. It wasn't my intention to start a flame war. I even looked through the rules and the terms of service to be sure I wasn't crossing any formal lines.

I'll just offer that .... if anybody would like to avoid said flame war ... feel free. I got the price. I paid the price I was quoted. While I did ask my question in good faith ... I can live without 'the answers.'

That is ... if anybody feels like protecting their blood pressure today :-)

Post Likes
    Don’t like the price.....
    O well, don’t call them again!

Post Likes

Post Likes
    My apologies. Please feel free to delete the thread.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NBeener View Post
    I appreciate your comments. It wasn't my intention to start a flame war. I even looked through the rules and the terms of service to be sure I wasn't crossing any formal lines.

I'll just offer that .... if anybody would like to avoid said flame war ... feel free. I got the price. I paid the price I was quoted. While I did ask my question in good faith ... I can live without 'the answers.'

That is ... if anybody feels like protecting their blood pressure today :-)
    There was a quote i read a few weeks back, ill butcher it im sure, but it goes something like this "if it takes me 30 minutes to do a job, its because I have spent 30 years learning to do the job in 30 minutes. you are paying me for my experience not my time."

honestly, without knowing a thing about the company, i think the price is reasonable. I know companies that are more and some that are less.

again, owning and running a company is not cheap in the least bit. But yet everyone thinks us small business owners are making a killing out there, and that simply is not that case. After all taxes and expenses, the company probably made about 10%.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NBeener View Post
    Hi there.

Six year-old Lennox ML195UH furnace. Intermittent no heat condition. LED flashing 3X and/or 6X -- pointed to pressure switch. I called the local HVAC shop down the street.

[Northern Colorado]

I was told in advance that there would be a $ "Dispatch Charge." I was told that it included "the first 10-15 minutes of diagnostics." This is about how long it took the tech to check the pressure switch with the manometer.

Once the diagnosis was made (faulty pressure switch) -- I was given and accepted an estimate of what the repair would cost. The tech had to drive (about 1/4 mile) back to the office to grab the part. It took him 3-5 minutes to swap it out.

Allowing $ for the part (fair ?), this translates into an hourly labor rate of between $.

I wondered if I'm looking at this the right way, and what others thought about this price ?

Here's the text from the receipt:

SERVICES PROVIDED
    Non ESA Residential Demand S
    Qty: 1 PICK UP PARTS
    Qty: 1 LENNOX PRESSURE SWITCH
    Qty: 1 DISPATCH & TRUCK CHARGE

Thanks so much for any thoughts.
    You could always get a Home Warranty, I’m sure there perfect for you!

Post Likes
    There was a quote i read a few weeks back, ill butcher it im sure, but it goes something like this "if it takes me 30 minutes to do a job, its because I have spent 30 years learning to do the job in 30 minutes. you are paying me for my experience not my time."

honestly, without knowing a thing about the company, i think the price is reasonable. I know companies that are more and some that are less.

again, owning and running a company is not cheap in the least bit. But yet everyone thinks us small business owners are making a killing out there, and that simply is not that case. After all taxes and expenses, the company probably made about 10%.
    This one...in my signature.

To the OP, the price disappeared, so I can't say, but like @jbhenergy said, there's a lot of overhead. I'd rather pay a little more and have an expert fix it than have it not fixed correctly and initially save a buck.
    Think of the simple follow up doctors appointment for something like test results, where you're in and out in 3 minutes. You pay your $20 co-pay and the insurance company gets banged for let's say $150 for the visit-$170 for the visit.
    $170 X 20=$3400/hour. The doctor could've easily had the nurse, or office manager call you (beneath them to call) and tell you everything was ok and you don't need to come in.
    Just saying.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes

This one...in my signature.

To the OP, the price disappeared, so I can't say, but like @jbhenergy said, there's a lot of overhead. I'd rather pay a little more and have an expert fix it than have it not fixed correctly and initially save a buck.
    Think of the simple follow up doctors appointment for something like test results, where you're in and out in 3 minutes. You pay your $20 co-pay and the insurance company gets banged for let's say $150 for the visit-$170 for the visit.
    $170 X 20=$3400/hour. The doctor could've easily had the nurse, or office manager call you (beneath them to call) and tell you everything was ok and you don't need to come in.
    Just saying.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    HVAC guys are almost as bad as surgeons. Broke my ankle, Had this "DR" wanting me to pay $80,000 for him just to install a Stainless steel screw.
    What an idiot. I found the same screw on amazon for like $5 shipped. Ima watch some youtube videos and just put it in myself...
    -"There always seems to be enough money to do it right the second time"

13. Likes pacnw liked this post
    Post Likes
    The the OP,

You stated you were given a quote for the repair andaccepted the repair quote.

Buyer's remorse?

If you thought it was wrong, don't accept and call someone else. Price shop.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by samgevas View Post
    HVAC guys are almost as bad as surgeons. Broke my ankle, Had this "DR" wanting me to pay $80,000 for him just to install a Stainless steel screw.
    What an idiot. I found the same screw on amazon for like $5 shipped. Ima watch some youtube videos and just put it in myself...
    I'll do it! $50,000 cash, zip zip.
    Self tapper? LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast