Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swaging Tools

Post Likes
    I have used the old school imperial manual flare and swage kits and also the yellow jacket expander its not hydraulic its the lever type as well as the CPS version . I prefer this type over the hydraulic ones but i understand if guys like them. The lever one is fine for me i tend to swage it and them bend it into place so i never run into issues with room. I also find that i have more control on the swage and less parts to go wrong. I have seen the hydraulic ones crap out. Mine is model number BTLE9 CPS blackmax tubing expander set mine will go from 1/4 to 1 1/8 and the die heads are colour coded which is nice. it comes in a nice compact hard case and there is also a metric model if need be. If i knew how to post a picture i would lol but i dont.

For flaring i also use a cps blackmax flaring tool its designed for 410A flares and makes awesome flares everytime. It also comes in a nice hard plastic case. The new battery powered flare tool from navac is super cool but i simply do not flare enough to justify the cost.

Post Likes
    I have used the old school imperial manual flare and swage kits and also the yellow jacket expander its not hydraulic its the lever type as well as the CPS version . I prefer this type over the hydraulic ones but i understand if guys like them. The lever one is fine for me i tend to swage it and them bend it into place so i never run into issues with room. I also find that i have more control on the swage and less parts to go wrong. I have seen the hydraulic ones crap out. Mine is model number BTLE9 CPS blackmax tubing expander set mine will go from 1/4 to 1 1/8 and the die heads are colour coded which is nice. it comes in a nice compact hard case and there is also a metric model if need be. If i knew how to post a picture i would lol but i dont.

For flaring i also use a cps blackmax flaring tool its designed for 410A flares and makes awesome flares everytime. It also comes in a nice hard plastic case. The new battery powered flare tool from navac is super cool but i simply do not flare enough to justify the cost.

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I decided to try out the Spin Swage (S6000 model) but I'm getting mixed results with that. The biggest issue seems to be that it seems to take forever to get started expanding the tube and nothing as quick as in the video. I've tried it with 3/8", 5/8" and 3/4". While it took a bit of time the swage on the 3/4" was the best so far - 0.002" clearance as measured by my calipers. With the other sizes than the 3/4" - and I will admit I was experimenting with pieces of scrap unlike the 3/4" which was from a mostly full coil - other than taking lots of time - I also had difficulty holding on to the pipe - in some cases it kept turning and even though i was wearing mechanics gloves it was still hard to hold on to it. Also sometimes lots of vibration. This ended up resulting in not such great swages - some pretty loose.

I don't know if I just need to use lots of pressure although I believe the website says not to do so. It's possible it could be the drill - I'm using the Milwaukee cordless M18 drill on high speed setting.

Any insight from those using it would be helpful.

Post Likes
    High speed and lots of pressure. Should take liiiiike 10 seconds?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by qwik99 View Post
    High speed and lots of pressure. Should take liiiiike 10 seconds?
    Thanks for the feedback - tried again after seeing your post and results are much better now. With the right amount of pressure I'm forming the swages in just a few seconds although I stalled the drill a couple of times at the end as it bottoms out. Maybe too much pressure since I'm done in under 5 seconds.

Great swages though now - as good as the clearance on pre-made fittings. About 0.002" on the ones I just did - 5/8" pipe.

Post Likes
    Maybe too much pressure, I've never stalled my m18 on high speed.

Post Likes
    Sounds like you made a good choice.

Has anyone here ever used a swage punch? My boss was talking about using them in the old days.

Sent in a state of increasing entropy using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by qwik99 View Post
    Maybe too much pressure, I've never stalled my m18 on high speed.
    I will play around with it until I get the pressure right. But I'm very impressed with the swages now - I was kind of disappointed when I started but it seems like it was just my technique.

Thanks for helping to shed light on what I was doing wrong.

Post Likes
    It needs to be spinning full speed to build up enough rotational energy to be converted into heat. The bits work by annealing the copper, so that copper needs to get up to heat, as you'll find out if you ever touch the end immediately 😂

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12