Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

How much is too much????

I have a HVAC contractor that looked at a house I bought and found the AC coils and outside unit needed to be replaced. He set up the repair with the home warranty company that approved of the repair. However there was mold in the flexduct and the plenums and the HW Company wouldn't cover the cost of replacing them. So the contractor gave me a price to have it done. The price seemed very high (over $). SO my question is, since the AC unit will be replaced anyways, the plenums would be easy to swap out so changing the plenums doesn't seem like any more labor. Am I being over-charged on the labor of it? How much do plenums cost normally? I'm needing a 14"x36 R-8 and a 16x25 R-6.

Also, is there an cheaper solution to either rid the mold/mildew without having to replace the plenums (or flexduct)? I guess at the very least we could add a UV light, but I would like other options if possible.
    Thanks
    Last edited by beenthere; 11-04-2019 at 04:54 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theriault3 View Post

Also, is there an cheaper solution to either rid the mold/mildew without having to replace the plenums (or flexduct)?
    Thanks
    Do you really want cheap, or do you want the best value? By far the best solution would probably be to kick out the warranty company, cancel the warranty, and find a better hvac contractor.

Try to find a reputable company who can do a proper whole house load calculation to decide what size system you actually need and who can make sure you have the proper sized and constructed ducts to hook it up to. There's a good chance that your mold problems are due to your current system being too big. When an air conditioner is oversized it won't dehumidify very well. It will cause the unit to short cycle and cause larger temperature swings inside, which will make it less comfortable. It will also be noisier, will use more electricity and will have a shorter life.

Most hvac companies (especially the cheap ones) don't care about any of that and will either suggest going with whatever size was in there (which was usually oversized to begin with) or they will recommend putting in an even larger unit.

If you don't care if it works or is done right and you just want to pay the absolute cheapest possible price, then just stick with what you have and try not to complain after they're done.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    It is more labor.

Saying it isn't. Is like saying since the break pads of a car are being changed anyway, replacing the break rotors isn't anymore labor. But it is.

We aren't allowed to discuss prices here.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes

Follow the ENTIRE PROCESS

- The highest Co$t here is dealing with an inept HW Company. -

An Inept resolution will result in the Mold issue being
    somewhat remediated
    AND THEN RETURNING.

What is the Root Cause of the mold ?

FIRST PRIOIRTY - ACCA Manual J calculation

2nd: Blower Door Test
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theriault3 View Post
    Also, is there an cheaper solution to either rid the mold/mildew without having to replace the plenums (or flexduct)?
    Thanks
    Loose the warranty company, get a real contractor!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Do you really want cheap, or do you want the best value? By far the best solution would probably be to kick out the warranty company, cancel the warranty, and find a better hvac contractor.

Try to find a reputable company who can do a proper whole house load calculation to decide what size system you actually need and who can make sure you have the proper sized and constructed ducts to hook it up to. There's a good chance that your mold problems are due to your current system being too big. When an air conditioner is oversized it won't dehumidify very well. It will cause the unit to short cycle and cause larger temperature swings inside, which will make it less comfortable. It will also be noisier, will use more electricity and will have a shorter life.

Most hvac companies (especially the cheap ones) don't care about any of that and will either suggest going with whatever size was in there (which was usually oversized to begin with) or they will recommend putting in an even larger unit.

If you don't care if it works or is done right and you just want to pay the absolute cheapest possible price, then just stick with what you have and try not to complain after they're done.
    Thanks for your imput.
    I wish that you wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the technician isn't qualified or reputable. OR that I'm cheap, or not willing to pay for quality work. My question was based on whether I'm paying for labor twice, since I will be paying for the AC coils to already be replaced, the plenum is already accessible and its just a matter of switching it out. Borrowing the illustration the other commenter used, if replacing the brake pads on your car cost $400, and separately if you wanted your rotors replaced it would cost $400, but if you decided to do both at the same time it cost you $800, when in reality, it was only take a little more time since the labor to do one item is most of what it would be to do both so the $800 is not a fair price, IMO.

I'm all for paying to get quality work done, I just don't want to be taken advantage of. It should be a fair price for what you get.
    Just so you know, the house is 1500sf. The unit size is correct at 2.5 ton. The HW company is replacing my Goodman for a Lenox.

Post Likes
    You cant use Quality work and Home Warranty at the same time. One or the other never together!!!

Post Likes
    The HW company is paying for supplying the parts. Its the contractor that installs them.

Post Likes
    Home warranty companies are a SCAM. They pay the absolute minimum, delay payments, deny claims and answer to No One!

Do a search on there practices.

Post Likes
    I do understand their practices because i work in real estate and sell them all the time. BUT they already approved this claim and are replacing my Goodman with a Lenox system!

Post Likes
    To get back to your OP, MOLD? How do they know? Are they licensed in your state for "MOLD" abatement? Were samples taken to be analyzed?
    In NY I cannot claim "MOLD" all I can do is Advise you contact an abatement company, have samples taken and analyzed. Then we can tell what has to be done!

Classic Bait and Switch......……….The contractor is padding his bill to supplement what the Home Warranty company wont pay them!

Post Likes
    I know a realtor who refused to offer home warranties because he knew it is a scam. I respect him. I can’t say the same for someone who sells them all the time.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    I know a realtor who refused to offer home warranties because he knew it is a scam. I respect him. I can’t say the same for someone who sells them all the time.
    I respect people who can read. Your response shows that you didn't read my OP at all. Your post has nothing to do answering my original post and is therefore, worthless.

BTW, I don't offer HWs either. Its the people that buy houses that insist on them, which forces me to provide them, so the next time you make an assumption and try to look "smart," try educating yourself beforehand so you don't come across as an dumba-s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast