Thread: Looking for aux heat

Post Likes

Looking for aux heat

Hi,
    I'm getting things ready for selling my house when it finally gets to be too much.

My basement has always been cold, and I've used wood heat for 40+ years. I want to replace that now because the stove probably won't meet code. It's a Fisher and they're very well made, but the chimney exits straight out the back.

The stove sits on a raised area with a decorative stone background -- looks pretty nice.

Anyway, I contacted a company re a decorative propane unit ( I have propane). He quoted me something like xxxx. I proposed using a cheaper type stove, but he said that venting would be more expensive -- and I'd still end up around xxxx.

I looked into electric fireplaces and they all seem to be 1500 watt units -- which I know won't be enough. (If I do find one that can provide more output, I will probably have to upgrade my electric).

The last thing that I thought of was improving the ducts in the basement. The area where the stove is is pretty large -- probably around 12 x24. There are only 2 ceiling ducts present and I don't know how effective they are.

One more thing, the basement is only about 4 feet deep, which I think makes it colder.

Just looking for suggestions on a good route. If I can't do it for a reasonable price, I will probably leave the wood stove in place and possibly offer a price discount on the house if it comes to that. I don't want to spend a bundle and find that potential buyers don't like the choice.

Appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

hj

Post Likes
    Read the site rules. Prices vary.

Post Likes
    Sorry - I'm not looking for a quote if that's the issue. I expressed myself pretty poorly.

I'd like to add some decorative aux heat to the basement - for my comfort and to make the house more saleable (I'm 73 ).

If a propane fireplace is in the range of 3 to 5 K -- it's more than I really want to spend.
    I would like to know if that's the normal range. I have an opening for my existing chimney at a height of 27inches.

Electric fireplaces are much cheaper and have no issues with venting, but the only ones I could find are 1500 watt units. I'm sure that I would need at least 2x that. I'd like to know if there are more powerful units available, or if I'd have to consider adding a baseboard heater as well.

This will require an upgrade to my electrical supply I'm sure. I would like some idea of how much that would cost. If it puts it in the same category as the propane fireplace, I really have to think about it.

My final thought is an upgrade to the existing ductwork. From what I've read duct fans are not considered a good idea by heating professionals.

As mentioned, I'm trying to see if there's anything that makes sense. Please provide any input in keeping with your guidelines. If there are other options, I'd be interested as well. If something seems reasonable, I will check it out with a local contractor.

Thanks,

hj

Post Likes
    Keep what you have and let the new owners put in what they want.

Post Likes
    Properly venting the existing wood stove is probably your cheapest option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Moved to AOP.
    After 15 months I hope it’s sold!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    A little over 2 months.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    You must have a much different calendar then I have.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You must have a much different calendar then I have.
    https://youtu.be/OjYoNL4g5Vg

Post Likes

In Floor Heating System

One alternative you might consider is IN-Floor heating system for a space that small, has a low electric consumption, and could appeal to some buyers. Depending of what type flooring you have in the space, could be a low cost solution that would provide payback.
    Last edited by saylor240; 03-16-2020 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Clarification on word
    Jason J Saylor
    Johnson Controls

"You will encounter many distractions and many temptations to put your goals aside: The security of a job, a wife who wants kids, Whatever. But if you hang in there, always following your vision, I have no doubt you will succeed.”

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Relax and do nothing.

Accurate Predictions are always difficult - especially those about the future. <g>

Put the house up for sale as it's presently equipped. If the buyers like it - you're golden. If the buyers balk; offer to do what would make them happy. Or even better; offer them a price concession to have it done themselves.

I even have A Story for you:

=====================
    Last year I bought a house which was a great bargain. It was mostly pink. All the exterior trim, The Driveway (!!!), interior walls light pink, interior trim a darker pink. Even the trays under the stove burners were enameled in pink, etc. All the clothes left in the house were . . . pink. The remaining furniture was various shades of pink. The front door and the mailbox out on the street were both bright pink. <g>

So leaped into action and primed and painted the interior a pleasant subdued yellow and the trim; white. I also painted all the exterior trim and the driveway. I advertised the house and somebody wanted to see it before all the details were done. I reluctantly agreed to show it early and the front door was still pink when they arrived. I mumbled that I was 'still painting' as an excuse.

They looked all around and the guy said: You said you are going to repaint that door? (gesturing towards the front door)

Absolutely; sorry I haven't gotten it done yet.

Can I chose the color? I mean; since you are going to paint it anyway?

Sure; what color would you like it?

Any chance you could repaint it pink? Just like it is now?

Pink? Really? Why pink?

I am the regional (something) for a company goes by the name: The Pink Plumber and it just seems like it would be cool to have a pink front door on my house. My wife loves pink too so I'm sure she would like it too.

How about that? What would you think if even More of the house was pink?

I think that would be great!

How about if the outside trim and the driveway and the mailbox was All bright pink? That be OK?

It sure would! Would you really do all that for us?

NO! My question is: Where the hell were you three weeks ago? I just busted my ass repainting Over all the damned pink! The whole friggin house was pink!!!

Oh man; that would have been so great - I sure wish we had seen it then.

========================

So my best advice is: don't advance-guess what the buyer for your house will want. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by ford2go View Post
    Hi,
    I'm getting things ready for selling my house when it finally gets to be too much.

My basement has always been cold, and I've used wood heat for 40+ years. I want to replace that now because the stove probably won't meet code. It's a Fisher and they're very well made, but the chimney exits straight out the back.

The stove sits on a raised area with a decorative stone background -- looks pretty nice.

Anyway, I contacted a company re a decorative propane unit ( I have propane). He quoted me something like xxxx. I proposed using a cheaper type stove, but he said that venting would be more expensive -- and I'd still end up around xxxx.

I looked into electric fireplaces and they all seem to be 1500 watt units -- which I know won't be enough. (If I do find one that can provide more output, I will probably have to upgrade my electric).

The last thing that I thought of was improving the ducts in the basement. The area where the stove is is pretty large -- probably around 12 x24. There are only 2 ceiling ducts present and I don't know how effective they are.

One more thing, the basement is only about 4 feet deep, which I think makes it colder.

Just looking for suggestions on a good route. If I can't do it for a reasonable price, I will probably leave the wood stove in place and possibly offer a price discount on the house if it comes to that. I don't want to spend a bundle and find that potential buyers don't like the choice.

Appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

hj
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

13. Likes saylor240 liked this post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in