Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cad Ohms

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Your still going to need the oil from time to time!

Try here:
    Heating Help dot Com (The Wall)

https://www.myhomecomfort.org/find-a-contractor/
    Only for my tractor!

Once the heat pump is installed that oil tank is gone and my wife said the baseboard heaters WILL be gone too!

House is well insulated and we only burn about 350 gallon a year for 1900 sq. ft. sitting on top of a windy hill. Duct work is already there for the A/C and I'll drop a run down to the basement and add a few floor vents from it to even it out.

I'll need a backup heat source. We had a rice burner when oil went sky high and it kept the house a toasty 75F on a couple of tons, but it was messy. When I sold my sheet metal shop I moved my wood shop from the basement to the building it was in and thinking pellets or a wood stove now that I have the room to store inside.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing well at what others say can't be done at all!

Post Likes
    It's only 300 miles!

It is running but I'll feel better when I get it set up properly. I put it off last year but will be buying an analyzer and new smoke pump this week. Any suggestions?

I definitely bought more parts than I needed, but everything is new and cost far less than a weekend service call.

Unfortunately the friend I trusted has cancer and I honestly don't know anyone else.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing well at what others say can't be done at all!

Post Likes
    Oops posted same twice

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by options View Post
    Only for my tractor!

Once the heat pump is installed that oil tank is gone and my wife said the baseboard heaters WILL be gone too!

House is well insulated and we only burn about 350 gallon a year for 1900 sq. ft. sitting on top of a windy hill. Duct work is already there for the A/C and I'll drop a run down to the basement and add a few floor vents from it to even it out.

I'll need a backup heat source. We had a rice burner when oil went sky high and it kept the house a toasty 75F on a couple of tons, but it was messy. When I sold my sheet metal shop I moved my wood shop from the basement to the building it was in and thinking pellets or a wood stove now that I have the room to store inside.
    If you don't install a back up heat source in the furnace air handler portion(electric strip heat or fuel) than if you allow the heat pump to operate below the point it needs to go into defrost the air coming out of the vents will be damn cold and defrost will not be complete.

You can stop heat pump use above/at defrost temp and then run another heat source, but that entails some planning and thinking.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    If you don't install a back up heat source in the furnace air handler portion(electric strip heat or fuel) than if you allow the heat pump to operate below the point it needs to go into defrost the air coming out of the vents will be damn cold and defrost will not be complete.

You can stop heat pump use above/at defrost temp and then run another heat source, but that entails some planning and thinking.
    No kidding. I may be old but at 66 fairly sure my brain still works. If not I wasted $25K on my first cnc router a few months ago. Thank you for your concern though, but just in case I'll make several large notes and hopefully I'll still be able to comprehend those when I'm ready to install the heat pump!

Post Likes
    What’s your static pressure aka draft across the chamber and up the smoke pipe? Too much or too little can really throw off things. You should be looking for around -.01 to -.02 at the chamber and -.02 to -.05 at the stack. Too much draft your wasting heat and too little your failing to completely burn the fuel. You didn’t say anything about that and I don’t believe anyone else did either. Apart from testing with a analyzer testing draft really should be the first thing when there’s a problem if nothing is obvious. You mentioned living on a hill which can throw things off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by P.Hank View Post
    What’s your static pressure aka draft across the chamber and up the smoke pipe? Too much or too little can really throw off things. You should be looking for around -.01 to -.02 at the chamber and -.02 to -.05 at the stack. Too much draft your wasting heat and too little your failing to completely burn the fuel. You didn’t say anything about that and I don’t believe anyone else did either. Apart from testing with a analyzer testing draft really should be the first thing when there’s a problem if nothing is obvious. You mentioned living on a hill which can throw things off.

Read post 3.
    Your draft numbers are wrong for that boiler/burner combo.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    The numbers I gave yes were ballpark.

The manual I have says : 2. Minimum Draft at Breech (Canopy) – The draft induced by a chimney must create at least a pressure of 0 (zero) inches water column (“ w.c.) at the pressure tapping on the canopy mounted on
    rear of boiler (see Figure 15). The pressure at the canopy cannot be positive since this could create a condition that allows flue gas by-products to escape from the draft regulator. A negative pressure reading up to -.03 inches water column is acceptable for proper operation.

Post Likes
    Why would you say -.02 to -.05 at the stack when the manual says O at the canopy.
    I only see 0 at the canopy in my manual. The table in the back does allow up to -.03, but the emphasis is on positive over fire pressure. So you wouldn’t want negative pressure at the canopy if it gave you negative pressure over the fire.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by STEVEusaPA; 11-03-2019 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Additional info
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Page 23 is where I got my information about natural draft chimneys.

Post Likes
    Make sure the cad cell is aligned properly.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Make sure the cad cell is aligned properly.
    Was talking to an friend yesterday who just bought a UEI C85 and he said he would come over one day this week with it. He also told me about an issue he's been dealing with for a customer with a 6 year old AirTemp that for unknown reasons will only run on kerosene this year. For 5 years it ran fine on #2. RE Michel sent out a rep who had no clue. Not sure what else he's tried but he said he's already changed the primary and the cad. Any suggestions?

I bought a new smoke pump from Sid Harvey yesterday. Really, 120 for a plastic tube and it didn't even come with a smoke scale. Unfortunately they were the only one that had any in stock or it would still be there.

Zero smoke now and interested to see what the analyzer shows.

Post Likes
    Fuel, air/oxygen, source of ignition. Thats all that is required for combustion. But sometimes getting those three in the right quantity is a problem.

Is the oil tank inside or outside?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

14. Likes P.Hank liked this post.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12