Post Likes

Multimeter malfunction

I have a Fieldpiece SC420 that has the flat slots at the bottom for a k-type thermocouple. I use this meter for maintenances and diagnostics on all sorts of equipment and you cannot have the leads in and the thermocouple at the same time so I have constantly pushed in and removed my thermocouple probe. It is always a nice snug fit when pushing a k-type thermocouple probe into the meter but recently my temperatures readings have begun to fluctuate drastically from 70 all the way down to -50 degrees. As I gently wiggle the probe up or down I will start to get an accurate measurement and when I let go the readings will start fluctuating again. It almost seems as if the metal contact points inside the meter are starting to come loose from the circuit board. Has anyone else had an issue with these type of thermocouple attachments on meters? What does everyone else use for their temperature measurements? I like the k-type thermocouple probe because it is so small that it will measure quickly and when checking fan switches on fireplaces I can actually fit it in between the fan temperature switch and the fireplace shell without it touching either to ensure at the switch is actually coming on around the right temperature, I only do this when extended diagnostics are necessary though.

Post Likes
    I have had Fluke K-Type thermometers for 20+ years and never had a problem. Never had a problem with any Fluke meter in 20+ years. Had a few Fieldpiece tools and I can't say the same for them.
    In any case my advice would be to remove the temp probes after use so they don't get jostled around and make the connections get loose. Unsure if that was what you were doing but have seen others make that mistake.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    My boss has a fieldpiece st4 and it is my favorite. I use the spk2 to get by for now till i can earn an st4.

Sent from my rotary telephone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have found with the new fluke tools i have dealt with that they out preform any other brand in speed and intuitive design.
    But they have no warranty and i have had too many bad out of the box or break way too easy.
    I just had a clamp meter come with the battery terminal rusted off from a leaking factory battery and when i called customer service they took 30 minutes of getting my info just to say our warranty doesn't cover corrosion but i could send it to them and they would sell me a new one for more than i payed for it.
    I wont buy their tools unless they are the only option.
    If i break a fieldpiece i can get a new one for half price no matter what.
    Also i have never had a fieldpiece break without a good reason.

Post Likes
    Are you sure it's not the wire connections in the plug for the thermocouple, and not the meter socket? I have had two SC440 meters now for over four years of constant use and no problems at all. I'll stack em up against anything out there. I had a Fluke 902FC and it was nice, but doesn't have all the functions needed. I like Fluke, ok, but they seem to not "get it" when designing meters for HVAC. If they get their game together, I'd be a customer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    I have had Fluke K-Type thermometers for 20+ years and never had a problem. Never had a problem with any Fluke meter in 20+ years. Had a few Fieldpiece tools and I can't say the same for them.
    In any case my advice would be to remove the temp probes after use so they don't get jostled around and make the connections get loose. Unsure if that was what you were doing but have seen others make that mistake.
    I always remove the thermocouple, it is such a tight fit that I think it is pulling the connector loose. It does this with different probes as well which leads me to believe that it is the meter. What do you all use for temperature measurements of home and ductwork.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jperigo View Post
    I always remove the thermocouple, it is such a tight fit that I think it is pulling the connector loose. It does this with different probes as well which leads me to believe that it is the meter. What do you all use for temperature measurements of home and ductwork.
    Yup sounds like the meter.

I used folding pocket style thermometers with magnetic backs for ducts and temp rises etc. Pipe clamp probes for SH-SC. Laser for some general imprecise room to room temps to name just a few. Calibrate or check them with ice water of course.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    I use the UEI folding thermometer with magnet.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes

Multimeter malfunction

Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I have found with the new fluke tools i have dealt with that they out preform any other brand in speed and intuitive design.
    But they have no warranty and i have had too many bad out of the box or break way too easy.
    I just had a clamp meter come with the battery terminal rusted off from a leaking factory battery and when i called customer service they took 30 minutes of getting my info just to say our warranty doesn't cover corrosion but i could send it to them and they would sell me a new one for more than i payed for it.
    I wont buy their tools unless they are the only option.
    If i break a fieldpiece i can get a new one for half price no matter what.
    Also i have never had a fieldpiece break without a good reason.

Where are you buying the meter that is bad out of the box?

I cant say Ive ever gotten a Fluke product with batteries pre-installed. Pretty certain Ive never bought any tool that uses disposable batteries that were pre installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    This one was frome some place on line but the batteries were oem with the plastic tab and it was not the only one we have had several others that had preinstalled batteries leak. We have had very good experience with fieldpiece. I know that fluke makes very nice tools but i buy from companies that value their customers. Fluke had no interest in keeping me as a customer.
    We have had many fieldpiece manifolds replaced for half price that were out of warranty and broke from abuse.

Any way if the op goes to any good fieldpiece supplier or rep and asks for "repair" service they will charge half price and give him a new one no matter how old it is.

Post Likes
    Better off buying seperate stuff... clamp meter with just basic functions... multimeter... digital thermometer... etc... Putting too much stuff in one case... they lack quality.. accuracy..... and of course... you are stuck when your one meter goes down.

You should really have two of everything in your truck.

I still buy fluke..... but.. since 1980 I have had three fluke failures.... 30 clamp meter got to where it read amps off... by several amps........ fluke 334 that eats batteries. It reads fine but you put in fresh batteries and they are dead in a few hours. On or Off. Fluke something...... another clamp meter........ the display died.

Still got my old 336..... its still working fine but just a bear to lug around. I now buy those smaller flukes.... same as the one that the display died on....
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Chewbacca Mom 2016

12. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I use the thermometer on my SC440 some, because you can calibrate temps on it. It's a bit ahead of a lot of clamp meters. I take care of my tools, but my two 440s have seen some abuse over the years, and never missed a beat.
    I've tried a ton of clamp meters over the years and never found anything better. My only gripe is I wish the had thumb dials. I know it's crazy, but I prefer them.
    The ONLY clamp meter that comes close is, of all things, a Klein CL450. It is a bit larger than the 440, but just as fast, same functions, reliable, and rugged. I used one for six months or so and loved it.
    There are lots of little things that make a good meter. Speed of measurements, especially capacitance, a continuity beep you can actually hear, backlight that stays on long enough to actually get readings, have all the functions you need.
    So, it's hard to find it all in one meter. Even though I like Flukes, they don't come close to having the features, and for the life of me I can't understand why.

14. Likes R600a liked this post.