Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytime View Post
    Hey, guys.... Iím certainly not growing pot, lol.... I need to keep the shed/office over 40 because colder temps are bad for computers and camera gear. Itís my office.

This is the unit I purchased and so far itís doing an awesome job but I worry about it running quite a bit more at the peak of winter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JX...b_b_asin_title

If experts in here recommend I try a different approach then I totally will. From my understanding, mini-splits arenít cheap, was avoiding having to do that but if itís my best bet then I suppose I should, and fast. Because itís starting to cool down here in Texas.

Also..... the electric that runs out to the shed was professionally installed. Costed me $2,000.... he did it up right, has its own breaker box, etc. It has 6 or so outlets throughout and fully insulated.

Thank you.
    There are better more expensive options out there. If you use them then put them somewhere safe and plug them into two different dedicates circuits. For insurance reasons, in my location, many businesses arenít allowed to use those. If itís ok with your insurance and you decide to use them then proceed with caution.

You may also want to put in a temperature monitoring system to alert you if the room temp drops too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I second the redundancy suggestion. When a temp must be maintained and to are not people on site to monitor, then you need a second, or in some cases third unit (double redundancy) depending on how critical it is.

The OP has provided limited information. We can’t assist with DIY installations. All we can say is to install it in a way that didn’t pose any safety issues and to conform to your local codes. Plugging in multiple heaters, if it exceeds the current capacity of the circuit or comes close to its rated capacity, runs a possibility of causing issues. Install it in a way that it doesn’t do that. Contact your local HVAC contractor if you have questions regarding the safety with your setup or operation of your system.

For a variety of reasons I would recommend operating the second unit to activate at a lower temperature than the first unit so that it only comes if the first unit fails. Rotate the units weekly or monthly so they both get equal run time and be observed for proper operation.

I think you convinced him to get two plugins.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Absolutely. I have a temp monitoring system in place that notifies me if the temp gets too low... I primarily use it while Iím out there and set it to about 68, when Iím away I drop it to about 40, and so far it hasnít even had to run unattended, but come Dec/Jan I have a feeling weíll be well below 40 often, hence my concern.

My electrician said it could handle me the load without issues but after all the responses Iím considering a mini-split. I donít understand how those are so much safer but you guys are the experts... and I appreciate the advice. ッ

T

Post Likes
    Absolutely. I have a temp monitoring system in place that notifies me if the temp gets too low... I primarily use it while I’m out there and set it to about 68, when I’m away I drop it to about 40, and so far it hasn’t even had to run unattended, but come Dec/Jan I have a feeling we’ll be well below 40 often, hence my concern.

My electrician said it could handle me the load without issues but after all the responses I’m considering a mini-split. I don’t understand how those are so much safer but you guys are the experts... and I appreciate the advice. ッ

T
    A minisplit will have its own circuit and do what it is designed to do by heating and cooling when occupied or unoccupied safely.

That electric heater is really meant to be used for emergencies when the space is occupied. Their website says to use as a supplemental source btw.

You could also consider installing some electric baseboard heating also. Probably wouldn't be too much up front for the little you seem to need but electric heat costs much more in the long run in most cases.

Keep us posted.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes

Two infrared heaters for one room?

Absolutely. I have a temp monitoring system in place that notifies me if the temp gets too low... I primarily use it while Iím out there and set it to about 68, when Iím away I drop it to about 40, and so far it hasnít even had to run unattended, but come Dec/Jan I have a feeling weíll be well below 40 often, hence my concern.

My electrician said it could handle me the load without issues but after all the responses Iím considering a mini-split. I donít understand how those are so much safer but you guys are the experts... and I appreciate the advice. ッ

T
    I think itís the fire hazard associated with the plug in type devices that has caught the attention of the insurance agencies.

Let them know what you want the HP to do so they are aware of its requirements. You may want to consider a base board heater for redundancy. Iím not sure what would be more efficient at those temperatures, heat pump or resistive heat. Iím sure the contractor can make that assessment based on your typical geographic environmental conditions based on your estimated years usage.

Edit: corrected typo
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    The icing on the cake here is that the heater that was linked to isn't even actually an infrared radiant one at all, it is just a normal fan forced unit, just like those scam cube heaters.

No standard 120 volt 1500 watt space heater should have a 3 digit price tag, EVER.

At any rate I hate how the false advertising laws apparently no longer apply with the market flooded with "infrared" heaters that actually aren't because "infrared" became the new marketing wank buzzword.
    To get the degree symbol į on Windows hold down the Alt key and type 0176 or 248 on the keyboard number pad. It is also available via the character map, and on Windows 8.1 devices with a touchscreen via the on screen keyboard.

There is no "E" in either BluVac or Blu-ray Disc.

If you are the type where the painting is more important than the frame, or you just like movies, join me in listening to the widescreen.org podcast.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    The mini split is the best option. The portable 2 pipe heatpump would be my next choice.

I would want that heater on its own circuit because it can easily draw 12.5 amps on what likely is a 15 amp circuit. It would be fine if you are in there with it and the room needs a quick bump while working. The portable HP would cost much less in electricity also.

I would also ask what does your insurance company think?
    Imo buying the 2nd one is not a best idea, try to research the settings of the current one, may be you just need to warm your room inside? Try to track why the temperature falls

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12