Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    What is a bull-dogged tee? Don't think I've ever heard that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by strogen View Post
    A 4" bull-dogged tee with a barometric damper would fit. The curled plastic on the top of the heater is a sure back-draft sign.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    This term goes back to my early days of piping boilers mostly.... so a 1 x 1 1/2 tee has a 'bull' side of 1 1/2.

So with a 4" bull-dog tee on the heater, bull end on the heater, front side gets the barometric damper, and back side to chimney.

Hope this explanation makes sense
    Last edited by strogen; 11-03-2019 at 08:52 PM. Reason: added flue tee size
    After you learn refrigeration, fixing an A/C is like a walk in a park under shade trees

Post Likes
    Not really. Attached is how we call out fittings where I live. Is this how you also call out fittings?

Name:  20191103_165541.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  69.4 KB

This term goes back to my early days of piping boilers mostly.... so a 1 x 1 1/2 tee has a 'bull' side of 1 1/2.

So with a 4" bull-dog tee on the heater, bull end on the heater, front side gets the barometric damper, and back side to chimney.

Hope this explanation makes sense
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Absolutely.

With using your bottom drawing, if the 1/2 accepted flow first, it was a bull dogged tee. Anytime that side accepted flow first was a bulldog.

Maybe it's a Chicago thing....
    After you learn refrigeration, fixing an A/C is like a walk in a park under shade trees

Post Likes
    They may just get a power vent water heater, otherwise I'll fix it.

Post Likes
    Cool. Thanks for the explanation. I tell my co-workers that terminology is everything; if you use the wrong words when asking me a question, I'll give you the wrong answer.

Just wanted to understand what you said.

Absolutely.

With using your bottom drawing, if the 1/2 accepted flow first, it was a bull dogged tee. Anytime that side accepted flow first was a bulldog.

Maybe it's a Chicago thing....

Post Likes
    Whenever you feed into the branch of a tee, I call that a bull head tee.

Post Likes
    They cut down the 90 ell because the water heater is too tall for the allowable vent rise. At less than 3 feet of vent rise, the connector must be increased to 4" at 40 MBH. A bullhead tee with a double acting barometric damper is the solution. Note how the draft hood has been working as designed. It has been Backdrafting as evidenced by the melted grommets.

Post Likes
    this must have been done by thexlux or whatever his old name was

Post Likes
    klux... as it 'What the klux'...I think.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    I have heard the term "bull-headed tee" used to describe a tee with the largest opening on the side. I've also heard "running tee" but I forget whether that means something like:

1 by 2 by 1 - or if it means: 2 by 2 by 1

All tees are called by their Left / Right / Center opening size - so that is my habit of use. But I do recall at least Hearing those other terms.

Although I never have heard it as: "bull-dogged". I wonder what the genesis would be? A bull-headed tee kind of does look like horns on a bull at least. <g>

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    What is a bull-dogged tee? Don't think I've ever heard that one before.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Is that really the only correct installation?

That is: a natural draft gas water heater must have a 3' vertical vent pipe section before the first 90 ?

Oh wait; or do you mean that to come directly off the draft hood with a 90 would be OK - so long as the 90 and subsequent venting run was 4" ?

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    They cut down the 90 ell because the water heater is too tall for the allowable vent rise. At less than 3 feet of vent rise, the connector must be increased to 4" at 40 MBH. A bullhead tee with a double acting barometric damper is the solution. Note how the draft hood has been working as designed. It has been Backdrafting as evidenced by the melted grommets.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I have heard the term "bull-headed tee" used to describe a tee with the largest opening on the side. I've also heard "running tee" but I forget whether that means something like:

1 by 2 by 1 - or if it means: 2 by 2 by 1

All tees are called by their Left / Right / Center opening size - so that is my habit of use. But I do recall at least Hearing those other terms.

Although I never have heard it as: "bull-dogged". I wonder what the genesis would be? A bull-headed tee kind of does look like horns on a bull at least. <g>

PHM
    ----------
    So I gotta come clean on the 'bull-dogged' tee term..... a senior moment on a Sunday night.

It would be great if booze, or a woman, were a part of my excuse, but sadly no.

Of course bull-headed tee is the term, and damn there was conviction with using bull-dogged tee. It's a damn shame when one wants to contribute, especially with such a great and professional group, yet the mind fails to connect all the dots with the thoughts at hand. It's becoming a habit.

So, sorry everybody for the confusion. The intent was there, the message was appropriate, and thanks for not coming down hard on the old timer.

If anybody goes looking for me, I'll be in the corner with a box of crayons...

14. Likes Core_d liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast