Thread: REME HALO-LED

Post Likes

REME HALO-LED

Looks like a new LED version with zero ozone is coming out. I was about to install a regular REME HALO in my home but this is coming out end of November. Would it be a good idea to wait? Any thoughts? Thank you!!

https://www.rgf.com/products/air/hal...-air-purifier/

Post Likes
    Thanks for the pointer. This device has piqued my interest.

As far as VOCs goes testing with GC/MS and PID meters in homes is the only way to know
    Unfortunately RGF is is unlikely to provide the sort of testing needed - Before and after test with GC/MS and PID meters in real homes with typical mix of VOCs.

What they have provided in the past - Test of a single VOC at unusually high concentration in a large fish tank - is Not the final determination. Often these tests show remarkable results. They just don't translate to real homes. I learned this by testing the MoleKule which also uses UVA LEDs.

Still I will consider buying one test. The device will definitely Not produce any ozone. UV LEDS only produce UVA radiation which means no ozone.

Will this device still produce Hydrogen Peroxide which RGF claimed was the magic sauce in the HALO? If not will it be as effective (if it even was effective) as the HALO?
    Is this new device just a quick response to the MoleKule (which doesn't work) and Bird device?

Thanks again for for link.

Post Likes
    Snake oil.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by randyf View Post
    Will this device still produce Hydrogen Peroxide which RGF claimed was the magic sauce in the HALO? If not will it be as effective (if it even was effective) as the HALO?
    Is this new device just a quick response to the MoleKule (which doesn't work) and Bird device?
    I asked RGF and their response was:

"The LED unit utilizes the same technology which we incorporate into all our products."

Kind of vague and I do not see mention of hydro-peroxides on the LED description like on the regular HALO description.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nicu2001 View Post
    I asked RGF and their response was:

"The LED unit utilizes the same technology which we incorporate into all our products."

Kind of vague and I do not see mention of hydro-peroxides on the LED description like on the regular HALO description.
    Thanks for inquiring.

Not only vague but BS. Probably talking from someone in sales/marketing. He may not know better.
    But
    - UV Leds only radiate in the UVA frequency range. This frequency range does not produce Ozone.
    - The HALO uses a UVC blub that does radiate in the UVC frequency range and produces Ozone.

Recently PCO devices have come on market that use UVA LEDs. No ozone and much longer life span. But effectiveness destroying VOCs is unknown - despite any claims by manufacturers.

Classic PCO (photo catalytic oxidation) works as follows:
    1. UV photons radiate a catalyst that produces a very short lived, very reactive compound called - Hydorxyls.
    2. Hydroxyls break down the carbon/hydrogen bounds in VOCs
    3. VOCs are then converted to H20 and CO2.
    See -https://www.explainthatstuff.com/how-photocatalytic-air-purifiers-work.html

Of course all the above is in a perfect world and perfect worlds don't exist.
    POTENTIAL problems include
    - partial break down products that are more toxic than the original VOC
    - excess Ozone
    - Only works at very high VOC levels. Not the levels we find in our home.

Still PCO technology has been verified and studied in academic laboratories for decades. It's not hocus pocus although some/all commercial implementations might be.

BUT - Commercial implementations, RGF, MOLEKULE and dozen or so other companies have not adequately demonstrated effectiveness in Real living spaces - homes.
    Most of the evidence comes from test chamber the size on big fish tanks, with unusual mixtures and concentrations of VOC - not the type of pollutants we find in our homes.

RGF - to their credit- did a spin off on classic PCO with the HALO.
    They used UVC and a catalyst to produce Hydrogen Peroxide and Ozone that spews in the living space. The claim being that a much larger area will be covered. With Classic PCO all the action happens at the catalyst, not in the living space. Don't know if this claim was bullshit or not but a lot of folks reported positive results. Could be many reports are just confusing the smell of ozone with clean air. I don't know because there are no reports of before and after VOC reading with objective test gear in real rooms.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by randyf View Post
    Of course all the above is in a perfect world and perfect worlds don't exist.
    POTENTIAL problems include
    - partial break down products that are more toxic than the original VOC
    - excess Ozone
    - Only works at very high VOC levels. Not the levels we find in our home.
    Have you gotten to do any testing yet? We would like to install a unit that has an added filtration system of some sort to improve the IAQ of our home. This version seems to fit the bill, but your point about the partial breakdown of VOCs is quite concerning.

Post Likes
    Haven't tested the new RGF device yet.
    Here's my suggestion for you:

Determine if you even have a VOC issue.

Use the service of https://homeaircheck.com/products/ or https://homeaircheck.com/products/
    Both companies will provide a test kit to take a sample. You return and in a week you will have results. If you levels are below 500ng/liter, you do not have a problem. Other wise you might. IMHO - its advisable to see if you have issues before spending money to remediate, especially with gear that is undetermined to work.

If your worried about particulates these can be effectively handled by low cost HEPA filters or even the return air filters you are currently using.

What are particulates - https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/p...zes-d_934.html. Fascinating.

I'll be interested in seeing how this plays our on your end.

Good luck and please post any followup you might have.

Post Likes
    Thanks. We are getting a new system installed next week with aeroseal and insulation. We decided to pass and purchase higher quality system air filters and to be more diligent with changing them.

Post Likes
    Sounds good.

I've really been impressed with the aeroseal process. I've heard from reputable source of remarkable results.

Once all is said and done you should have any concerns with particulates. Just keep in mind that particulates and VOCs are two different animals.

If you do decide to ever test for VOCs, in addition to the resources I mentioned, check out these guys.
    https://www.assaytech.com/

Should be cheaper and accurate but with less specificity.