Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    I take lots of breaks. I am also in my 25th year in the trade and know how to work efficiently. I have earned this right based on my experience and skill level ie; my work gets done.

A newbie on the other hand? Keep your phone in your pocket and your eyes and ears on the job. Only way I will allow you to work with me.

Post Likes
    I heard a guy say if you haven’t been divorced you’re not a good tech. I talk to my wife while driving between calls (usually 90 minutes). Happy wife, happy life.

3. Likes icy78, The Turtleman liked this post
    Post Likes
    Self-employed that is a different subject, most their business phones are many times the personal phone as well.

For the most part I have no problem if your personal phone goes with you, but the understanding I have is it only gets used on breaks or before and after work hours. I don't talk on phone while driving, I'll pull over. Most of the time my personal phone stays in the truck because the risk to damaging it many times is high. But I have had two incidents in the past 4 years that have shown me having your phone with you is important. 1st incident my wife was having a heart attack and she had enough presence of mind to hit the auto dial for my number and I was able to call the ambulance. 2nd Incident again my wife fell and shattered her arm and was completely out of it, A person helping her found her phone, found husband in her address book and called me, telling me she was going to the hospital in an ambulance. We don't work 100% of the time if your are standing waiting for recovery unit to pull charge out, waiting on Vacuum pump I won't have a problem if you look and or answer a short text or call. Again it about treating your employees with respect and like an adult. Believe me customers watch to see how much time get's spent on the phone and many times comment on it. I have good idea if their out wasting time and not working when they should be. For my guys if they don't abuse it, I don't have a problem if your personal phone goes with.

Good Luck

Post Likes
    I’m not one to agree to be babysat all day.
    I also don’t like being told what to do for no reason.
    I enjoy calling my wife at lunch. I have other personal calls I make during the day too, like to the bank, doctors office or other maintenance type calls.
    My customers don’t complain. Never have. Actually many places request me.
    I voluntarily carry 2 phones, one work and one personal.
    I’d tell them where to put their rules. And would not work there.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    What if you got a note from your doctor?
    Then you could tell them they need to allow your "emotional support phone" to be with you at all times, and if they refuse to allow this and/or refuse to hire you they will be hearing from your lawyer.

Post Likes
    I think it's called a condition of employment. The State Gov. job I had, you couldn't carry your phone if it had a camera. They changed it, after it was impossible to get one without. Anyway I talked to him, and he's going for the Drug test, and accepting the job. I kind chewed on him a bit, seen him and wife at a restaurant, both buried in their phones. Forgot to get on him about the 5:45 AM call, though. At least I has awake, I had turned over and the new knee didn't like that.
    Retired, after 43 Years

Post Likes
    Maybe the solution is better hiring practices. Is said company hiring technicians or hiring bodies to perform work?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    For us self-employed guys, our phone is our personal secretary.
    Copy that!
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    How about if your guys get there work done and done properly who care if they have there own phone? Your trusted with so much when your on the job and there going to do that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Phones aren't just phones anymore. It's an addiction. The devices have addicted not just the younger people. My wife worked with another woman who's grown kids didn't seem to be able to solve even the simplest problem w/o calling mom. For everything.
    Then there are the apps.
    Haven't y'all noticed in any public place most heads are bowed down staring at screens. This is way more serious than the addicts will have us believe.
    You know your an addict when you can't put something down. Addicts need not respond.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Phones aren't just phones anymore. It's an addiction. The devices have addicted not just the younger people. My wife worked with another woman who's grown kids didn't seem to be able to solve even the simplest problem w/o calling mom. For everything.
    Then there are the apps.
    Haven't y'all noticed in any public place most heads are bowed down staring at screens. This is way more serious than the addicts will have us believe.
    You know your an addict when you can't put something down. Addicts need not respond.
    Not sure what you are saying in relation to having a cell phone at work. What if I am not an addict and I would like to hear from my child's school if something happened? How about since I work so much and I needed to make a Dr appointment and can only do so when I am at work? Or if I needed the test results read to me since they will not leave a message which is normal practice etc......

What if I was an "addict" but needed to do the above? What if I was an "addict" and was a productive worker and had no other issues at work?

It is a poor owner-mgr that can't tell if they have a good employee without this rule being talked about here.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Everywhere I worked required me to have their phone on me at all times. I said OK but I am not going to carry two phones and that I would be using their phone also as my personal phone. I never had a problem but nothing surprises me today with employers overstepping.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    I forget what i watched on the subject that stated communication with the S.O or family made you more productive at work. Of coarse this was was mostly referring to techy office jobs. The type youd sit on an exercise ball at your desk amd play basketball at lunch but, its really no different.

Before the industrial revolution and modern transportation most people seen and communicated with the family during the work day. I could definitely see how it would free your mind up and allow you to focus better.

Is the schedule written in stone? I couldnt see any company asking a tech tondo this when one never knows what time they might get to go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast