Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Hanging Unit Heater in Steel Building

Hi guys I have been asked to look at a job recently for a customer that just put up a brand new workshop behind his house. I would like to install a propane unit heater such as a reznor unit or adp. I have installed quite a few of these in this setting but this one has me thinking. The building is a free standing steel building like a free form. It comes in like rings that are fastened together it seems like an awesome idea until you try to install anything in the building. My problem is there are no trusses or structural members in the building to hang the unit heater from. Even the electrician is wondering how to strap his conduits and such to the inside of the building because if you screw them to the wall the screws will poke through the outside of the building. If you have any ideas let me know what you think ?

Post Likes
    Sealing washers and all thread right through the structure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Link to the type of building. I’m not picturing what your describing.

Can’t hang a unit heater what about just installing an upflow unitary unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Could you use longer bolts somewhere on the arch connection point then use a barrel nut to add all-thread ?

5. Likes Core_d liked this post
    Post Likes
    I'de ask to see the building specs, requirements and recommended procedures for installing ceiling loads, if its a prebuilt, otherwise an engineer to rubber stamp such if homemade. If electrician is scratching his head w his stuff, you may be really having issues if it all comes tumbling down.

Post Likes
    Is it possible to weld some support braces to the steel rings? Maybe span across the top and hang from support braces?

Post Likes
    What about the back wall ?

Post Likes
    Call the Mfr of the structure. You might have to build shelves/structure and support the heater off of that.Be careful of air stratification,trapping the heat "up there".

Maybe a boiler and hydronic unit heaters?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    What about the back wall ?
    Build some triangle braces out of angle iron and attach to back wall

11. Likes Core_d liked this post
    Post Likes
    I think he is working on something like this...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Uh sounds like a bad idea to me personally, is to big a space for a mini split? If not I'd try suggesting one, a unit heater like that would worry me I always say if I wouldnt put my family in the house and sleep well not to do it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert1985 View Post
    Uh sounds like a bad idea to me personally, is to big a space for a mini split? If not I'd try suggesting one, a unit heater like that would worry me I always say if I wouldnt put my family in the house and sleep well not to do it.
    Why would you not sleep well with a unit heater?
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    Why would you not sleep well with a unit heater?
    Well, for one thing what if he were to accidentally kick his blanket over it whilst sleeping ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast