Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    I attempted to adopt a greyhound.

The requirements were insane.

I had to read 2 books and take a written test.

Before adoption I was required to approve three unannounced home inspections prior to adoption.

After adoption I was required to approve three unannounced home inspections in the first year.

I was also required to submit 10 years of vet visits and shots for my previous dog.

Told them to keep the dog.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post

Before adoption I was required to approve three unannounced home inspections prior to adoption.

After adoption I was required to approve three unannounced home inspections in the first year.

I was also required to submit 10 years of vet visits and shots for my previous dog.

Sounds like they don't want them adopted... All those requirements are just job security

Sent from LG Stylo 4 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Guy View Post
    Sounds like they don't want them adopted... All those requirements are just job security

You all don't understand the concern about adopting greyhounds. My wife saw or read about the problem and explained it to me. The greyhound breed is the most gentle breed of dog more so than any other dog.

They won't fight back or run away if abused and will just take it.

Some AHs have abused the dogs in the past and the "Adopt a Greyhound Agency" controls who adopts them and wants to make sure that they will not be abused because these dogs won't fight back.

That being said I think those requirements listed by viceman are extreme beyond reason. I knew it was hard to adopt them but not that bad. Geez you can adopt a kid a lot easier than that.

My wife did also said that they didn't want you to be older than 55 or so in case you died before the dog where would the dog go. Anyhow they are said to make excellent pets and love kids.

Yeah if you own a greyhound then you have to be a all around great person and have impeccable references. Yeah. LOL. Corn could never own one that's for sure. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post

I don't think it is THAT bad here.
    My neighbor has one, when that dog lays out on the floor it takes up much of the space.
    Never realize how LOoong they are until you see one spread out.
    Also very calm and almost no personality.....
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    You all don't understand the concern about adopting greyhounds. My wife saw or read about the problem and explained it to me. The greyhound breed is the most gentle breed of dog more so than any other dog.

They won't fight back or run away if abused and will just take it.

Some AHs have abused the dogs in the past and the "Adopt a Greyhound Agency" controls who adopts them and wants to make sure that they will not be abused because these dogs won't fight back.

That being said I think those requirements listed by viceman are extreme beyond reason. I knew it was hard to adopt them but not that bad. Geez you can adopt a kid a lot easier than that.

My wife did also said that they didn't want you to be older than 55 or so in case you died before the dog where would the dog go. Anyhow they are said to make excellent pets and love kids.

Yeah if you own a greyhound then you have to be a all around great person and have impeccable references. Yeah. LOL. Corn could never own one that's for sure. Thank you, thank you very much
    I think they should keep it reasonable..people get them then realize they are big ..and some are kinda boring ...only a few hours a day tops that they want to interact socially.
    People need to understand them before getting one

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123