Post Likes

filter drier installed backwards

Good morning,

During a routine check up/tune-up of our HVAC heating system yesterday the worker noticed that the filter drier was installed backwards so that the arrow is not pointing towards the indoor coil. This unit was not installed by the company that this worker is employed by so he told me it would cost $+ for him to correct it. He suggested I contact the original company and let them know what he discovered so I did that this morning. The lady on the phone asked if my unit was working okay and I said yes but that this still needed to be resolved and I should speak with a manager. No one was available so she set up an appointment for a manager to come out on Monday to take a look at it. This new HVAC system is a Carrier unit(Model#24ANB7) was installed back in April 2013.
    I need some advice as far as what can happen by having this filter drier installed backwards, has it been doing damage to my system that I would not know about? Even though it has been 6 1/2 yrs since it was installed, shouldn't it be the responsibility of the company to correct this??(Free of charge)? I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

N.Ricketts

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Ok, sorry. I forgot about that and was only mentioning price cause it was part of my conversation with this technician.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nargis Ricketts View Post
    Good morning,

During a routine check up/tune-up of our HVAC heating system yesterday the worker noticed that the filter drier was installed backwards so that the arrow is not pointing towards the indoor coil. This unit was not installed by the company that this worker is employed by so he told me it would cost $+ for him to correct it. He suggested I contact the original company and let them know what he discovered so I did that this morning. The lady on the phone asked if my unit was working okay and I said yes but that this still needed to be resolved and I should speak with a manager. No one was available so she set up an appointment for a manager to come out on Monday to take a look at it. This new HVAC system is a Carrier unit(Model#24ANB7) was installed back in April 2013.
    I need some advice as far as what can happen by having this filter drier installed backwards, has it been doing damage to my system that I would not know about? Even though it has been 6 1/2 yrs since it was installed, shouldn't it be the responsibility of the company to correct this??(Free of charge)? I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

N.Ricketts
    If
    In fact it is installed backwards then IF they want to do the right thing they will remove and replace it for free. Unfortunately it has been 6 1/2 years and others have touched It so there under NO obligation.

Post Likes
    I know this sound crazy, but back in 80’s I noticed a liquid line filter drier was installed backwards during a spring system check. Looking at the drier I concluded that it’s been there for years and that the system has been working fine with the drier backwards. So I didn’t change it and didn’t tell customer about it. A few months later I get this call that something blew up on customer’s condenser. I was shock to find that drier split into and system lost all its charge. The spring that was inside the drier was throw over 20 feet away from what was left of the drier. I was lucky that customer was in the house and not standing next to condenser. From that day on, I always recommend removing driers that is arrow is pointed the wrong way.

Post Likes
    I may be wrong, and I am not saying that it is of no consequence but . . .

A filter/drier has the direction on it for capacity. If you take one apart you will generally find the material in the form of a cylinder with a hole through the center. The inlet end of the cylinder is blocked with a metal plate so the refrigerant has to flow around the outside of the cylinder, through the material and out the hole bored in the center. Think about how much more surface area there is to catch stuff than if the refrigerant enters the bored hole and flows through to the outside of the cylinder. Now assuming you they did a good job of keeping the lines and coil clean during install there should be nothing for the filter/drier to catch in which case it should not matter. ON the other hand if there is a lot of moisture and debris in the system then you have an issue. The question is how would one know how clean the system is especially since they didn't take care in putting in the filter correctly?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nargis Ricketts View Post
    Good morning,

N.Ricketts
    not after 6 years. mistakes are made. have a contractor replace it. mite want to just wait another year or two when you have the system replaced.

Post Likes
    Was just working on an ice machine for a restaurant and found the filter drier backwards from the factory. Unit is 10 years old, original filter drier, it never had any issues. Ice machines are a lot more picky about this sort of thing. It’s not the end of the world.