Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Yes, you can divide micro amps by 1000 to get milliamperes. 1 micro amp= 0.001 milliamperes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The 902fc won't do mA. It doesn't have the resolution in the uA function to display it. It doesn't have mV either, for thermopiles etc.

It is enough to read most 575v (600) in Canada. I know the spec says it only reads to 600v, but I'm almost positive I've seen over that on mine. I'll try and find something over 600v and report back.

But I agree with others, you'll need at least 2 meters to cover everything.

Staying with Fluke, the 87v or 179 would fill in the gaps. Both do 1000v, mA and mV. You could add a current clamp (example i400) to either of those, rather than a dedicated clamp meter...

The a3000FC (wireless multimeter and clamp meter) would cover everything and make remote amps easy! I'd probably go with that if I was to do it all again.

Finally, I've only suggested Fluke because it is better. I've had cheaper meters (FP, UEI, Klein...), but they are cheaper for a reason. For example, for us in colder climates, the speed of the display is faster with the Fluke (Fluke rated for -10C operating temp vs FPs 0C). It's a small thing that can mean alot on those late night service calls on a roof.

Post Likes

This is impossible, cant find a meter that works, sick of FP

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Fluke is great and the 902 is decent but only goes to 600vac. The OP needs more than that. It has a really poor resistive range and doesn't do microamps either I believe. Not bad for a clamp meter you definitely would need a multimeter to go along with it.
    Ahhh, thank you for catching my misinformation. I had it in my head that they were both rated for 1000V. My apologies for the mistake.

... and I apparently didnít read the post well enough. I thought the OP was only looking for milliamperes, I didnít catch that they were actually looking for microamperes. The 902FC will display 0-200uA according to the specs, but not Milliamps (as you already said.)

The 902 resistance range goes up to 60 kOhms (although if you look on the Clamp Meter Specifications Chart then it is listed as only being able to read 9.999 kOhms, maybe they updated this range with the FC model?) granted itís not the 50 MegOhms that the 87V will do, I donít think youíll get a Amp Clamp with all the functionality and resolution that a DMM has, without carrying around a grotesquely large clamp meter. Doing a quick look at the Fluke lineup it looks like the 355 will measure 400 kOhms but it looks big.

Iím going to have to check the meter I use right now, currently I use the Fluke 322... I work on a chunk of 600VAC and Iíve never seen it go into OL in the 10 years Iíve used it. Iíll need to see what itís rated for. If I can dig up the time Iíll rig up the meter to a source and dial the voltage up to see where it hits itís limit.... finding the time is the challenge though.

I know the goal of the OP is to have a one meter does all solution but I donít see that in the Fluke lineup. I think the reality is that a clamp/DMM combo is required... in the Fluke lineup anyway.

I think the 376 and 381 are the OPs only Fluke options based on the 1000V voltage range requirement. almost all other meters are limited to a 600V voltage range (even though some of those are rated to CAT III 1000V). These still donít check every box on the list though.

I donít see any of the Fluke Clamp meters, based off their selection chart, that are capable of microamps. I could be wrong about this but I donít see it listed on the chart here.

Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    The 902fc won't do mA. It doesn't have the resolution in the uA function to display it. It doesn't have mV either, for thermopiles etc.

It is enough to read most 575v (600) in Canada. I know the spec says it only reads to 600v, but I'm almost positive I've seen over that on mine. I'll try and find something over 600v and report back.

But I agree with others, you'll need at least 2 meters to cover everything.

Staying with Fluke, the 87v or 179 would fill in the gaps. Both do 1000v, mA and mV. You could add a current clamp (example i400) to either of those, rather than a dedicated clamp meter...

The a3000FC (wireless multimeter and clamp meter) would cover everything and make remote amps easy! I'd probably go with that if I was to do it all again.

Finally, I've only suggested Fluke because it is better. I've had cheaper meters (FP, UEI, Klein...), but they are cheaper for a reason. For example, for us in colder climates, the speed of the display is faster with the Fluke (Fluke rated for -10C operating temp vs FPs 0C). It's a small thing that can mean alot on those late night service calls on a roof.
    The 87v ( and itís waterproof clone the 28II) do pretty much everything we need it to but It doesnít look like the 179 can do microamps according to their chart. The 116 (Flukes HVAC DMM) will do it.

Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Ahhh, thank you for catching my misinformation. I had it in my head that they were both rated for 1000V. My apologies for the mistake.

... and I apparently didnít read the post well enough. I thought the OP was only looking for milliamperes, I didnít catch that they were actually looking for microamperes. The 902FC will display 0-200uA according to the specs, but not Milliamps (as you already said.)

The 902 resistance range goes up to 60 kOhms (although if you look on the Clamp Meter Specifications Chart then it is listed as only being able to read 9.999 kOhms, maybe they updated this range with the FC model?) granted itís not the 50 MegOhms that the 87V will do, I donít think youíll get a Amp Clamp with all the functionality and resolution that a DMM has, without carrying around a grotesquely large clamp meter. Doing a quick look at the Fluke lineup it looks like the 355 will measure 400 kOhms but it looks big.

Iím going to have to check the meter I use right now, currently I use the Fluke 322... I work on a chunk of 600VAC and Iíve never seen it go into OL in the 10 years Iíve used it. Iíll need to see what itís rated for. If I can dig up the time Iíll rig up the meter to a source and dial the voltage up to see where it hits itís limit.... finding the time is the challenge though.

I know the goal of the OP is to have a one meter does all solution but I donít see that in the Fluke lineup. I think the reality is that a clamp/DMM combo is required... in the Fluke lineup anyway.

I think the 376 and 381 are the OPs only Fluke options based on the 1000V voltage range requirement. almost all other meters are limited to a 600V voltage range (even though some of those are rated to CAT III 1000V). These still donít check every box on the list though.

I donít see any of the Fluke Clamp meters, based off their selection chart, that are capable of microamps. I could be wrong about this but I donít see it listed on the chart here.

Thanks for catching my errors also. I wasn't aware of the upgraded version of the 902.

The best all in one clamp meters I have seen are the Amprobe NAV line. I always carried 2 Flukes around until I switched to the Amprobe.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Thanks for catching my errors also. I wasn't aware of the upgraded version of the 902.

The best all in one clamp meters I have seen are the Amprobe NAV line. I always carried 2 Flukes around until I switched to the Amprobe.
    so is there way to find out if i can divide the amprobe Nav meters microamps by 1000 to get milliamps?

my current fieldpiece goes into OL when i try to measure the microamps in series with a 4-20ma signal, so i dont appear to have the range to divide by 1000 in the first place

man this is a tough one. i dont understand, are you guys bringing to meters with you to the roof or are you not measuring enthalpy sensors?

so far im looking at Amprobes ACD51NAV

it shows a microamp range of 1000.0 ĶA, so 20 milliamps is 20,000 microamps, so this wont work for that

otherwise it has a VFD filter, inrush, phase rotation, noncontact voltage detection, capacitance. seems pretty badass. 100Kilo-ohms, and its 1000v

but still no milliamps. so once i eliminate that, it widens my net for sure

okay, question for the group. is there ANY clamp meter that can do milliamps? without dedicated for that purpose? or one that can do up to 20,000 microamps?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorbellum View Post
    so is there way to find out if i can divide the amprobe Nav meters microamps by 1000 to get milliamps?

my current fieldpiece goes into OL when i try to measure the microamps in series with a 4-20ma signal, so i dont appear to have the range to divide by 1000 in the first place

man this is a tough one. i dont understand, are you guys bringing to meters with you to the roof or are you not measuring enthalpy sensors?

so far im looking at Amprobes ACD51NAV

it shows a microamp range of 1000.0 ĶA, so 20 milliamps is 20,000 microamps, so this wont work for that

otherwise it has a VFD filter, inrush, phase rotation, noncontact voltage detection, capacitance. seems pretty badass. 100Kilo-ohms, and its 1000v

but still no milliamps. so once i eliminate that, it widens my net for sure

okay, question for the group. is there ANY clamp meter that can do milliamps? without dedicated for that purpose? or one that can do up to 20,000 microamps?
    The NAV51 will probably handle everything you want minus mA. For that you will need a second meter as far as I can tell.

There are mA clamp meters that irrigation guys and maybe electricians use for LED lighting maybe. They usually just do mA I think, there may be some that also do basic voltage and resistance but that still means another meter.

I always carried 2 Flukes until the NAV 51 and only measured mA maybe if there was a trouble call.

You can use a wrap of 1000 turns and use your clamp meter. JK
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Fluke 289:
    0.001 mV to 1000 VDC and VAC
    0.01 uA to 10 A AC and DC
    0.001 ohms to 500 Mohms
    temperature
    0.001 nF to 10 mF.

no amp clamp though. I carry an add-on amp clamp from FP that goes to 300 AAC and an i5s that goes from 10 mA to 5 AAC

this what I use as a daily set of meters. It is a lot of money but it takes care of 99% of what I need on a daily basis.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    Fluke 289:
    0.001 mV to 1000 VDC and VAC
    0.01 uA to 10 A AC and DC
    0.001 ohms to 500 Mohms
    temperature
    0.001 nF to 10 mF.

no amp clamp though. I carry an add-on amp clamp from FP that goes to 300 AAC and an i5s that goes from 10 mA to 5 AAC

this what I use as a daily set of meters. It is a lot of money but it takes care of 99% of what I need on a daily basis.
    How do you use your i5s? Are those only used with Fluke 430's? Is there a way to hook them up to a 289?
    ďFree men do not ask permission to bear arms.Ē
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)

ďWhat one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.Ē
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    How do you use your i5s? Are those only used with Fluke 430's? Is there a way to hook them up to a 289?
    you can use an adapter like this:
    https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/...s/fluke-pm9081
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

11. Likes Brian8383 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Iíve been using at work and have one at home a Klein Tools CL800. I love it. Itís rated for 1000 volts cat 3, 600 amps on the clamp meter. Does amps and volts in ac, dc. Ohms, diode check, Hertz, capacitance, temp in Celsius and Fahrenheit. It has and light plat the clamp meter which is helpful. It does a couple other things though Iíve never used them yet. So far itís always been accurate enough for me. You can also get a magnet as well for the back of it which I have that too.

Post Likes
    Take a look at Hioki's range, they are fantastic for me, but I'm not sure if there is is one with uA. But solid Japanese equipment, I've never been happier with a piece of tech.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post

601.5V, so just over. But over. I'm sure I've seen around the 610V mark in the past.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast