Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Holy S--T You are correct.I just looked at the fieldpiece website.The SC 480 is newer than the SC680.what is the difference between the 480 and680.Who is selling the 480,ypu already have.I was going to get the 680 now a newer meter is out.see what we are saying!!that sucks if you just bought a Sc680 ,now a SC480 is already newer,Who has the SC480.Johnstone doesn't even have the SC680 yet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleng View Post
    Holy S--T You are correct.I just looked at the fieldpiece website.The SC 480 is newer than the SC680.what is the difference between the 480 and680.Who is selling the 480,ypu already have.I was going to get the 680 now a newer meter is out.see what we are saying!!that sucks if you just bought a Sc680 ,now a SC480 is already newer,Who has the SC480.Johnstone doesn't even have the SC680 yet.
    Why do they need to update them so frequently? What features are they possibly adding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    I received my FP SC480 today and so far it's a winner. Fast, cool features, can't see any downside.
    Hows the wireless distance? Is it as good as the probes? Im not sure if you use measurequick but if you do has it been tied into it yet?

Post Likes
    The difference between the 480 and 680 is similar to the differences between any 4xx abd 6xx counterparts. The 680 does DCA thru the clamp, has two thermocouple inputs instead of the 480's single input, and correspondingly the 680 can display T1-T2. Other than the normal size, swivel head etc of the SC680, that's about it. I like the size and features of the 4xx series much better and can easily live without the swivel head.
    I had my local Johnstone order it direct from FP and they had it in a few days, something like 5 days not including the weekend.

Some notes on the new SC480.
    * it has a latching continuity beeper, which is a boon to finding intermittent shorts. It is lightning fast. On the 440 the beeper was fast, and the led and display were somewhat slower. Not a huge deal, but noticeable. On the 480, the beeper, light and display are like lightning. I mean you aren't fast enough to no see the led, hear the beep and see the screen start autoranging. This is the single best continuity tester I've ever seen, even on any Fluke latching meter. Beeper is also easily heard, which to some meter manufacturers is not a priority.
    *480 has 10,000 count display, old 440 had 5,000 count, nice but not earth shattering.
    *readings are very quick, with the exception of autoranging resistance, which is about par for anything not fluke. Fast, but not quite as fast as the best. No worries, it's pleasingly quick.
    *capacitance is pretty darn quick, again, not the fastest I've ever seen, but pleasingly unannoyingly fast.
    *display is, as usual, fantastic as with most FP. They have without a doubt the best viewing angles of any meter I've ever seen. At any angle in any direction, they're clear as clear can be. The look from above will impress against any other meter.
    *blue backlight is quite good, maybe slightly better than previous versions of FP, but not a huge improvement.
    *new features to the X80 series, are phase rotation and power measurements, cool stuff, handy if you like to tinker with EER etc.
    *480 continues to have thermocouple calibration which is very nice and makes for super accurate temp readings.
    *X80's are CAT IV 600v

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    The 902fc won't do mA. It doesn't have the resolution in the uA function to display it. It doesn't have mV either, for thermopiles etc.

It is enough to read most 575v (600) in Canada. I know the spec says it only reads to 600v, but I'm almost positive I've seen over that on mine. I'll try and find something over 600v and report back.

But I agree with others, you'll need at least 2 meters to cover everything.

Staying with Fluke, the 87v or 179 would fill in the gaps. Both do 1000v, mA and mV. You could add a current clamp (example i400) to either of those, rather than a dedicated clamp meter...

The a3000FC (wireless multimeter and clamp meter) would cover everything and make remote amps easy! I'd probably go with that if I was to do it all again.

Finally, I've only suggested Fluke because it is better. I've had cheaper meters (FP, UEI, Klein...), but they are cheaper for a reason. For example, for us in colder climates, the speed of the display is faster with the Fluke (Fluke rated for -10C operating temp vs FPs 0C). It's a small thing that can mean alot on those late night service calls on a roof.
    Well I happened across a unit over 600 VAC today so I pulled out my Fluke 322 Clamp and Fluke 16 DMM.

Both read the voltage just fine. Never went into OL. Both measured around 618 fairly consistently but I did catch spikes of around 630 when I was using the clamp meter. I got some spikes with the DMM but they didnt happen to be as large at the time.

If I recall (both meters obsolete now) I believe they are both only 600 VAC rated.

Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

6. Likes Lahrs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Okay! So field piece really came through, and I was part of the beta testing for the SC680. This better is absolutely phenomenal, changed my life. Does everything. I'll be posting a review soon, I've been insanely busy, but if you're looking for an HVAC meter that does it all, I feel your pain, and I'm telling you to check out the SC680, just buy it. You won't regret it

Post Likes
    I know that DC microamps 2000uA is not bad

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by reymitchel View Post
    I know that DC microamps 2000uA is not bad
    What do you mean?

Post Likes
    Well said!!!
    Fluke 87v, 179 with current transducer. Reliability & accuracy is key!

If not fluke go for A probe acd 14 plus not the newer pro version as it has a low resistance scale.

Last choices is Klein cl450 it can do it all, just have some back up meter for sure.

Post Likes
    Just bit the bullet and get a Fluke. The 87v or 87v-max, and a Current transducer. You wont second guess any readings you get. Also make sure to get a good set of test leads. Ive only used other brand meter that werent mine and was completely glad I had a fluke.

Post Likes
    I hear you, It's just not that everyone can bite the bullet for budget reasons.
    True, fluke is the way.
    The other issue is when someone is saving up for a fluke to get like you said 87v or the new max not the 116!
    The 116 is a budget meter 3 year warranty.
    The 87 series has lifetime warranty hold the accuracy for years, that is what you really pay for.
    Again I agree 💯 with you.

Post Likes
    Check eBay. You can find great deals. I bought a open box fluke 289 for $175+ shipping. The 87v max is expensive right now because its new.

You meter is one of your most important diagnostics tool not all.

Post Likes
    I agree!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast