Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Thank you so much guys this had been super constructive. Fieldpiece actually reached out to me to try and sort this out, so I'll update you on what happens

Post Likes
    Little late, but I just got the milwaukee fork meter. Love it

Post Likes
    No competition - Fluke.
    Compare the auto-ranging of Fluke to any other meter and you'll see why it's obvious. Displays the actual reading in half the time. Hopscotch with it in half the time of most other meters.
    That being said I'd get the HVAC 1000v meter and an Extech or other for the capacitance and other functions less often used.
    Time is money and Flukes are the fastest.

Post Likes
    I do not like F.P multimeters what so ever.
    I have a two fluke 87-V and two 289. I also have fluke i400 clamp accessories, and two AEMC, to use with my DMM. I have two stand alone AEMC and Amprobe clamp power meters that would be comparable to the redfish idvm 550. I also have Gossen Metrawatt Energy and Coil multimeter. I also picked up a fluke 28ii at a pawn shop for next to nothing.
    A Finally I have a insulation test meter made by megger model MIT 420. Which I like much better than the fluke 1507 which I sold. This is definitely a meter you should have if your a service tech. I suggest not using supco cheap insulation tester. It's a piece of junk and has given bad reading many times.

The Fluke meters have the fastest response time when measuring capacitors out of all the meter I have tested.

Since most repair related issues have to do with electrical issues having a very good meter is a must have and should not be a tool you try be frugal/thrifty when purchasing one.

If I were you I look at the new fluke 87 Max. Its the same as the 87-v but waterproof/resistant. You could probably get a fluke 87-v at a very good price now that the 87 Max is out. I found you can get great deals on eBay.

I like having a separate digital multimeter and clamp meter rather than having a clamp accessory that works your with your DMM.

Good luck

Post Likes
    The Klein CL450 does 1000V, plus EVERY other function most people could ever want, microamps DC, millivolts, etc. fast capacitance readings, a backlight that stays on til turned off, apo, built tough. It's not the fastest meter, but it is fast, even on autoranging it's pretty decent, no where near annoying. I use one a lot, and it you have to have ALL the features, it's the only one that has them and goes to 1000V.

Post Likes
    I'm late but...

Fluke 87V

You'll need a separate clamp meter or a current clamp accessory

Post Likes
    Wear your hunting coat and keep the meter in a game pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    The 902fc won't do mA. It doesn't have the resolution in the uA function to display it. It doesn't have mV either, for thermopiles etc.

It is enough to read most 575v (600) in Canada. I know the spec says it only reads to 600v, but I'm almost positive I've seen over that on mine. I'll try and find something over 600v and report back.

But I agree with others, you'll need at least 2 meters to cover everything.

Staying with Fluke, the 87v or 179 would fill in the gaps. Both do 1000v, mA and mV. You could add a current clamp (example i400) to either of those, rather than a dedicated clamp meter...

The a3000FC (wireless multimeter and clamp meter) would cover everything and make remote amps easy! I'd probably go with that if I was to do it all again.

Finally, I've only suggested Fluke because it is better. I've had cheaper meters (FP, UEI, Klein...), but they are cheaper for a reason. For example, for us in colder climates, the speed of the display is faster with the Fluke (Fluke rated for -10C operating temp vs FPs 0C). It's a small thing that can mean alot on those late night service calls on a roof.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    That Fluke is a really nice meter . Expensive , but cheap meters are expensive too in their own way .

Post Likes
    I just ordered the new fieldpiece SC480, looks like another "do it all" meter. CATIV, 10,000 count, and does power, which is interesting.

Post Likes
    How do you like the redfish clamp meters it a good quality meter.

Post Likes
    I received my FP SC480 today and so far it's a winner. Fast, cool features, can't see any downside.

Post Likes
    I think you mean the SC680!!!That is the newest FP clamp meter.

Post Likes
    Nope SC480 is the newest.
    I don't like those huge 6xx meters. FP released the 480 last Thursday I believe they told me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast