Post Likes

Water in Floor Vents

Good Morning!

I recently purchased a home where I have sunken dining room. In this room the two floor vents fill with water when we get rain. One vent has completely corroded on the bottom then and the ground water seeps in and fills that whole section of vents. What is the best way to fix this situation? I have been told to fill the vents with concrete or expanding foam and abandon them, lift my furnace tap into the down-flow and put a new vent in the ceiling in that room, and even get a ductless system. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Post Likes
    Abandoning would be a good choice. However, the system likely worked fine for years. What changed? Is the water table high where you are? If not, why is water going under your house? Is it from improper grading outside? Do you have rain gutters? Are the down spouts far enough away from the foundation?
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    Abandoning would be a good choice. However, the system likely worked fine for years. What changed? Is the water table high where you are? If not, why is water going under your house? Is it from improper grading outside? Do you have rain gutters? Are the down spouts far enough away from the foundation?
    Being a corner lot we get all the water from neighbors and we are lower especially that side of our yard. Previous owners had drainage installed and a sump pump outside. I Dug up and installed new french drain too, didn't stop water from getting into vents. This was missed on inspection. Spouts all lead into PVC and drainage system in yard. Regarding and fixing all the drainage is very expensive from what I was quoted.

Post Likes
    Your ducts are mold generators. Filling with concrete won't solve the actual problem. It also won't help if the floor has a crack or will tomorrow. I was told there 2 kinds of concrete. That's what's cracked and that what's about to crack.

Any codes I've been around require the ducts underground be encapsulated in concrete. This might not have been done. I believe some codes allow the use of transite pipe (concrete) instead.
    On a list the hvac is maybe 4 or 5. Like the kid sticking his thumb in the dyke, you need to address the problem w/o resorting to band aids.
    I feel bad for you.

Any system that requires electricity isn't a fix. Electricity can fail especially when it rains.
    A landscaper might make a berm around your house or a natural looking arroyo ( I don't know your term.)
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Water has to be flowing towards the house if it is lower there, and that would need to be fixed even if the ducts were not flooding.

One other unlikely thing to check (at the meter) would be making sure you don’t have water pipes leaking under the house adding to the drainage problem.

Post Likes
    You can get them lined, we had a home in McLean, VA done this way. We picked a dry time and vacuumed the standing water out of the vents. The B***h wife complained about the smell and booked herself in a Hotel for three weeks. We went there the next day, to start up the AC. You couldn't smell a thing, except for dirty dishes in the sink. We lost big time on that job, after she sued us.
    Retired, after 43 Years

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    You can get them lined, we had a home in McLean, VA done this way. We picked a dry time and vacuumed the standing water out of the vents. The B***h wife complained about the smell and booked herself in a Hotel for three weeks. We went there the next day, to start up the AC. You couldn't smell a thing, except for dirty dishes in the sink. We lost big time on that job, after she sued us.
    But the problem wasn't fixed just part of the symptom.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Yes it was fixed, no more water or leakage into the underground ductwork. Also it cut the Thermal looses, that was measurable. BTW The duct work was some kind of Premade Concrete Cement ducting, but was not thick enough to be precast piping.
    Retired, after 43 Years

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tej1234 View Post
    Water has to be flowing towards the house if it is lower there, and that would need to be fixed even if the ducts were not flooding.

One other unlikely thing to check (at the meter) would be making sure you don’t have water pipes leaking under the house adding to the drainage problem.
    Being on the corner everything flows towards the sewer that is just past my home. All going under ground I assume but this corner has just been continually eroded. There is only about 10-12 ft on the side of my home to regrade before I hit the property line. My neighbor told me that his yard floods too due to inadequate drainage city hasnt done much though. I will look more into regrading, just dont want all the mold and water getting circulated through that room. Water pipes are still good. Thank you for you input!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    I was told that the vent was too eroded and if I were to try and have it lined it may not even hold it. Thanks for your ideas!

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?