Post Likes

Garage ac question

I live in Houston, TX, so heat and humidity are always an issue. I'm looking for ideas to cool off my garage, where I spend a fair amount of weekend time working on projects. Trying to keep costs down is important. I'm looking for thoughts on the best type of system for the job. My home ac barely keeps my house cool during hot summer days, and my ac guy says if I want to add more cooling then I need a second unit, preferably a 3 ton. My home is one story, 2,850 square feet, and I think I have a 4 ton unit now. I dont want to do that, especially not for just the garage. Any suggestions?

Post Likes
    It’s against code to use the homes central hvac system for a garage capable of storing vehicles. So that’s not an option.
    Equipment isn’t sized via square footage.
    A minisplit would do the job, although I’d want a low static ducted indoor unit in a dirty place like a garage, so I could add a decent air filter to protect the unit.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

3. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Makes sense not to connect the garage to the central ac.

I've heard about the minisplit but I dont really know much about them. I guess I need to do more research.

Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions for a high quality manufacturer?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The installer will determine how well the unit functions.
    But for minis, Samsung and Mitsubishi are my preferred.
    Make sure you use a service company up to date on training. Minis are very proprietary and sometimes require specialized tools.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Great info, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I done some garages here in Texas with mini splits and central systems and would highly recommend insulated garage doors especially it they are get a lot sun in the summer. If you can afford it, insulated the whole garage would be the beneficial.

8. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.